• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What exactly constitutes a kitchenette?

Hi all

Can anyone explain what exactly constitutes a kitchenette - here in Chch if it makes any difference?
    For example, if you have council consent to build/convert a 'family flat'.
    If you put in a bench and sink, is that a kitchenette? What about if you put a microwave on the bench?

You can put in a sink, dishwasher, microwave, fridge - whatever u like. It just can't have an wired-in oven or built in hob. Make sure you check with your council what the requirements are as I'm only familiar with Akl.

Don't forget that if you breach the council rules and the house burns down, your friendly insurance company won't pay out.

Throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow - Norman Vincent Peale

Don't forget that if you breach the council rules and the house burns down, your friendly insurance company won't pay out.
    Actually, I think if you tell your insurance co about the kitchenette then you don't lose all your cover....the insurance co will replace the building but not replace a non-compliant kitchen. At least that is what NZI told me.

And yes, you will pay more for the policy!

Ok, so if the kitchenette has a stove, or hob then its classed as a kitchenette. not quite right, but close. If you have cabinetry and a sink, then its a kitchen, and you must disconnect the s/bend and plug the waste, or its a minor kitchen, aswell as the hard wired hob or stove. You can have a laundry tub, washing machine and its ok. You can put in fridge and microwave and its ok. Just no functioning s/steel with draining tray kitchen sink, hob, stove. If you have these and also have a bathroom, then you run the risk of it being classed as a minor dwelling, and you need consent for that. I had a problem one in waitakere and had to disconnect the lot.

How about using those portable electric grills and frying pans? Would they push it over into the kitchenette category?

Check with council as it looks like the rules vary. We just built a kitchen for a client in Mangere Bridge that has passed final inspection with council. It had sink, washing machine, microwave, fridge, everything except a oven/hob.

Yes, portable grills, hot plates, fryers are all OK as they are not wired-in.

But find out from your local council.

Throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow - Norman Vincent Peale

Kitchen is not defined in the City Plan. The safest way would be to talk to the Council.

Note that if it is actually a Family Flat as defined in the city plan ("occupied by family member(s) who are dependant in some way on the household living in that residential unit") then you are allowed to have a full kitchen in it, however the Council will place a bond on the title requiring the kitchen to be removed if it ceases to be occupied by a dependant family member.

Yes, its called a Statutory Declaration, and you sign this doc for council, then you can vertually do what you like, however, it can only be used for an infirmed parent, grandparent etc. You cannot rent it to the public and if you do and get caught, the penalty's are very severe. The council lists whats called an ARTICLE on the file, which means its approved, just council didn't sight the work for "sign off". A kitchenette is the same as a kitchen under the act, they are in fact both kitchens and if you have one in the garage, and the garage is lined with gib, and you have electrical outlets lights etc, and you have plumbing altered for the new habitable living area, Then you need consent. It comes down to permeable and impermeable areas. Im not saying you can't have it, just there are some things your going to need for council to be satisfied. If this is an illegal restricted work, council may say " TAKE IT OUT" either way I've handled a number of these situations and you must adhere to the RMA and Building Act, there is a long way to go, and I have about 10 questions for you, which will help you.

I have a commercial unit that I am currently installing a mezzanine floor in, I have consent for that. I now want to install kitchen and a shower. What are the rules on that one?

Default Studio/ Warehouse Appartment

Quote Originally Posted by Aston View Post
    I have a commercial unit that I am currently installing a mezzanine floor in, I have consent for that. I now want to install kitchen and a shower. What are the rules on that one?
    This comes under a Studio Warehouse Appartment, I assume that you want a warehouse or business premise with accommodation.
    There are a number of requirements for that purpose, Fire Ratings as you are creating a fire cell area with in a commercial property, Noise Control,RMA and Building Act. You may also need to change the Title, to the above, although that is a minor issue. Cornerstone Group started this type of developement on the North Shore in the 90s, and so there is provision under the act for this type of modernisation. Its not a major, and your local council will actually help with this endevour. The fact you already have consent for a mezzanine is 50%. You are looking at considerable cost though, I.E council fees, construction etc. If you are in a block of units you will also need adjoining units consent. Normally no problem. Council costs can vary from $3700 to $55,000, depending on the value of construction. At a guess $15,000 contribution and $4,000 fees. If you are in Auckland, then contact MSC Consulting Engineers, John Syme, they're in the book, they are experienced with this type of improvement, also your own Architect could easily handle it. Make absolutely sure your builder is Licenced. The rest is easy, plumbers asbuilt drawings and producer statement, electricians certificate of compliance (COC), Product gaurantees, Drainage connection asbuilts, Builders PS3, Engineers PS4, EASY PEASY. CONSENT FIRST THOUGH.

Thread Information