• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Default Censorship

About 5 this morning I put a post here asking a question about how that thread was morphing and why was it not cut and sent to a new thread. my post was removed within the hour (it would have been post 47), and the morphing posts remain. So far, no PM explaining what/why.

As instructed by that thread, I've started this one.

I believe that my post was not breaking any of "the rules".

I'm now becoming concerned at the censorship I percieve happening.

If this place isn't fun to visit, why would I?

Can someone please explain where the thread on Millionaires Mastery went?

I guess you may not have read the earlier announcement by the moderators - click here

While we resist change - it is inevitable and PropertyTalk.com is having to change and 'clean up' it's act. Please read and re-read the announcement and rather than fight the changes happening - or attempt to push the boundaries of the rules - let's just abide by them and focus on property investment issues not personalities. If you find this all a bit too distressing or too hard to do - may I suggest you take a break.

Thank you for your patience and tolerance while we all deal with the paradigm shift.

Cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Donna, How about the Millionaires Mastery Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    I guess you may not have read the earlier announcement by the moderators - click here
    Cheers,

Donna
    Now you have upset me. Not only by what you have actually said, but by what you have implied that I have not read.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    may I suggest you take a break.
    I'll be surprised if this thread actually lasts.

Donna,

I sympathise with all the work the mods have at the moment. I have to date not posted in any of the threads complaining about moderation as per the announcement. But since you have departed from that by posting in this thread, I have to say I didn't think the Millionaires Mastery thread broke any rules.

In the announcement David stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monid View Post
    Any posts containing personal attacks on forum members or others will be removed in their entirety from now on (we have in the past aimed to edit these posts - we shall do so no longer). And at the moderators discretion the individual posting the personal attack will be added to the watchlist. This includes making sniping comments, throwaway jokes and derisive implications.

This does not mean that you cannot be critical or ask questions of a company's or person's actions or activities - however you need to provide evidence for critical comments, and make them in a civil, well mannered fashion. Making allegations without providing evidence is inappropriate. Robust questioning conducted appropriately is permitted - since this is a property discussion forum the discussion of property related companies and personalities are a fair topic of discussion - as long as it is conducted well.

Likewise, these comments ought to be made in an appropriate place (ie by starting a new thread) rather than derailing a thread on another topic
    The Millionaires Mastery thread was started specifically to discuss Millionaires Mastery.

The level of criticism was very low. There were some throw away comments and horsing around but as far as I can recall the closest they came to anything like a personal attack was commenting on how interconnected a lot of these entities are. That is pretty innocuous.

The thread was at a point where someone who had attended the course commented and it was quite possible that the original poster was going to have the opportunity to have some (what seemed to be quite genuine) questions answered.

The thread was then removed in its entirety.

It seems to me that you may as well delete the second paragraph of the above quote from David because it is difficult to see how anything would be regarded as acceptable on recent experience.

To be blunt, if that is to continue happening to threads which have as little level of personal attacks as that one then, like Keys, I would have to question my involvement in this forum.

There are two main reasons for that:
    1. None of us are paid to be here. I seem to be one of the few who doesn't use this forum to push some business or other. If it isn't enjoyable I will simply spend my time elsewhere; and
    2. I don't like feeling like I am wasting my time whenever I do give some advice because the thread may arbitrarily disappear.

I hope a happy middle ground can be found but at present the moderation does seem to me to be a little excessive.

Xav

Ps. If you keep suggesting people like Keys take a break then your ratio of useful content to "other" will not be going in the direction these changes were designed to make it go.
    Last edited by Xav; 19-03-2010 at 05:28 PM.

I have just had a look around the two property investment forums operating out of Australia - and I failed to see any threads similar to what have been removed from PropertyTalk.com for review.

Yes we may not be 'right on the button' right now as we also cope with the new changes but I am confident we will get the balance right....and as you'd expect we are looking at other forums for guidance. Why are we making these changes....because we have to - to avoid litigation.

Cheers,

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    Why are we making these changes....because we have to - to avoid litigation.
    Thank you Donna. I think that is the first time I have heard that from an official source although I may have missed it the first time. I am sorry to hear that. If you are comfortable in disclosing it I and I'm sure many others would be interested to know who that pressue is coming from.

I appreciate the work that moderators do in forums like this but I really struggle to see what was wrong in the Millionaires Mastery thread. I have had a look at http://www.propertyinvesting.com and there are multiple topics discussing courses and the dealings of professionals in the industry.

Can someone please outline what specifically was written to justify the censorship?

Hi J-J,

Welcome back to posting on PropertyTalk.com - I see you've been away a while - until your recent posts in this thread and the Millionaire Mastery wasn't your last post in December 2008?

Cheers,

Donna

Thread Information