No announcement yet.

Frustrating Gen Y Tenants grrrr (vent).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating Gen Y Tenants grrrr (vent).

Just had a tenant verbally agree to sign for a 1 year lease on a property, said will be there today to sign agreement and hand over bond & advance rent etc (I had done all the credit/background checks etc). Got to the property and she decided she doesn't want it anymore. I know that's her prerogative, just wonder how it would be viewed in reverse, ie if I told someone they could have a room then on meeting again to sign the agreement told them that I'd changed my mind and didn't want them to have it (for no blimmin good reason)???? Wouldn't be so bad if it was a one off but it's happened a few times lately (to a few landlord friends as well).

Thankfully the property is easy to let so will have no problem letting it, just the time spent running around after Gen Y could be better spent etc etc.

Rant over!

Originally posted by blacksheep15 View Post
    it's happened a few times lately (to a few landlord friends as well).
    Very common. Very frustrating. Never stop advertising until the money is in your account.

It's not only tenants, in real life half my day is spent following up on people who said they would do something and haven't yet.

Comment

I agree, it really is just frustrating. Was interested to know what would happen if the reverse was to happen though. Tenant checks out ok, LL gives the ok to sign agreement, then when the tenant turns up to sign (with possessions in tow) LL says "sorry I've changed my mind for absolutely no reason." Is there some sort of comeback from DBH or another quarter?

Comment

Keep advertising. If you manage to get another tenant in the property immediately - great.

The difference between the date the "ex" tenant said they would move in and the actual date of the "new" tenant, is the amount the "ex" tenant is liable to pay.

If you don't manage to get another tenant in within three weeks, you can only claim up to three weeks rent in lieu of notice. A verbal agreement is still a contract.

You can go to Tenancy Tribunal re this.

I've had this happen to me and you will win.

Costs $20 for TT application.

How much is the mucking around worth, though??
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Exactly Essence, not worth the trouble, in fact the room should be let this afternoon all going well, not a major, just interested to know the implications.

I guess that means that if the reverse were to happen (ie I refused a tenant after saying they could have the room), they could take me to TT as well? If so, I wonder how they calculate the loss to the tenant?

Comment

Ah, yes but if you did it, you'd be seen as a mean, nasty LL and would get beaten around the head by TT AND you'd have to pay the proposed tenant compensation FOR HURT FEELINGS!!

As many of us "older" (as in time as LL's, not age!!) LL's do, ask for $'s to "hold" the property for the proposed tenant.

If they renege on the deal, you can tell them it's money to be used in lieu of expected rent.

If they don't renege on the deal, it's money towards their Bond or first weeks rent. However you arrange your rental agreements for RBTR.

If they're not willing to pay $'s (oh, I'm a poor, poor student) then say "Well, if you can't pay the $'s up front, how are you going to manage week by week?" Advise them that you're not taking them on as a tenant and they should look elsewhere for accommodation.
            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Great advice essence, thanks. $$ to secure the room is an idea worth thinking about for out of town prospects.

Hehe, mean, nasty LL, I got called that just for asking them not to use the dryer when it was 30 degrees outside!!!.... and yes I do provide a clothesline and individual clothes airers for each tenant (I also pay the power bill)! I think the education system needs to get back to teaching kids basic life skills like the cost of electricity etc, we were taught that at school it was called Home Economics!

Comment

..just for asking them not to use the dryer when it was 30 degrees outside!!!....
                Either don't provide a drier (believe me your power bill will go through the roof over winter!!) or put the rent up.

The tenants can either -

a) hang out their washing ( how does that happen??!!),
                b) pay for extra power (mean, mean LL)
                c) go to the laundromat (LOTS of $'s per load which they have to pay for up front).

Might be a bit late now to put the rent up but you could do this next lot of tenants.
                Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I have provided a dryer to tenants for years and it hasn't been a problem at all, they know the deal, if the bill gets too high the dryer disappears, always takes some educating of each new batch of tenants!! In my experience no dryer = wet washing hanging in the room with no windows open and heater running flat out, then when heater turned off, condensation running down walls and windows, mouldy curtains, walls etc = catch 22.

Bring back Home Ec I say, hanging out washing is so foreign to Gen Y, it just goes in the machine and ends up back in your room washed,ironed and folded doesn't it???? It did at home!!! Big mean LL I am ;-)

Comment

it just goes in the machine and ends up back in your room washed,ironed and folded doesn't it???? It did at home!!!

So true!!!
                    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

You mean you don't iron and fold it for them????? No wonder they're miffed.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post

As many of us "older" (as in time as LL's, not age!!) LL's do, ask for $'s to "hold" the property for the proposed tenant.

If they renege on the deal, you can tell them it's money to be used in lieu of expected rent.

If they don't renege on the deal, it's money towards their Bond or first weeks rent. However you arrange your rental agreements for RBTR.

If they're not willing to pay $'s (oh, I'm a poor, poor student) then say "Well, if you can't pay the $'s up front, how are you going to manage week by week?" Advise them that you're not taking them on as a tenant and they should look elsewhere for accommodation.
                        I'm with essence. I always ask for one weeks rent (to be paid to my bank account or in cash). I tell the tenant that until that amount is paid, then the property may be let to another person . Once it is paid it counts as their first weeks rent. I've never had a person let me down since I started to do this.
                        Jo Birch
                        Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                        +61 450 148 678

Comment

Hi Jo

I ALWAYS ask for Bond or money towards Bond to be paid in cash.

If the tenant pays by cheque, you give them the keys and they move in, then the cheque bounces!! - it doesn't bode well for the rest of the tenancy and it's just plain difficult right from the get-go.

It's "hurts" more when they have to count the money over to you and a big psychological "I'm committed to this now".

and it's also so cool, walking into the Bank with all that money!!! mwah ha ha.....
                          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                            Hi Jo

I ALWAYS ask for Bond or money towards Bond to be paid in cash.

Me too. Bond MUST be in cash, or at least cleared into my bank account before the tenancy agreement is signed and before keys handed over. And I always ask for 4 rent weeks as bond.
                            Jo Birch
                            Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                            +61 450 148 678

Comment

Gosh, does that sound as though we've learned the "hard way" or were we lucky enough to listen when others were talking about their experiences??
                              Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Working...
                              X