Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does clean mean in terms of final tenancy inspections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does clean mean in terms of final tenancy inspections?

I'm a landlord but we have been renting for the last few years in Australia. At the end of the lease I hired professional cleaners who also did the carpet cleaning. According to the property manager its nto good enough - apprenetly the carpets should have been cleaner - not sure how - they were about the same age as the flat (70s) formerly cream - marked when we moved in - the cleaners made them cleaner than they were what they needed was replacing. She also objected to the cleaning in the kitchen because wiping a a white wipe over the interior (wooden original) cupboards came up dirty????

Now clean is subjective as far as I am concerend and I have never been involved in inspections in NZ (my PM does all that)

Now we are renting short-term before our house becomes availabe again. I have written off the bond in Australia to this cleaning nazi but I am wondering if I will have the same issues in NZ ? Should I be taking pictures of the inside of cupboards before I start using them? Should I note every mark on the walls and paint so I'm not held responsible? Seems insane the property is in good enough condition but old and all the paint work is cracked (I don't care but I don't want to be held responsible). An how do you clean the inside of old wooden cupboards :-) !
    Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Take heaps of pictures & go through that page regarding the property's condition that is in the tenancy agreement with the landlord/agent. It's a real pain, but is worth the price of the bond.

Comment

When you move in you'll normally fill in an inspection report.
      Make sure it contains lots of photos of the houses original condition.

Return the house in this condition when you leave.
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

This is often an issue if I have someone who is a real "clean freak" moving into a rental. Other people's grime is always dirtier than our own! I've been willing to discount the first weeks rent to keep a new tenant happy.
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Thanks for your comment - photos are good idea (havent actually agreed the initial inspection as the PM been on holidays for 2 weeks) - but you'd never pick my australian property maangers definiton of dirty - cause you can't see the dirt in photo - just if you rub the proverbial white glove over it!
          Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

"Clean" is so subjective, I always find that when a tenant moves out & the place looks clean, there is more dirt to be found when you start cleaning again.
            I think the Tenancy Tribunal defines it as what would be considered "reasonably clean by the average person."
            So you don't end up with trouble later, ask the PM to show you what they consider "clean", since it is them that will be making the judgement later.
            Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

Working...
            X