"Mad people paying too much for an IP"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mad people paying too much for an IP"

This discussion started within a separate thread.

Originally posted by lissie
    Originally posted by Gerrard
    Speaking of dreaming, I phoned up about a 2x2 property in Newlands (Wellington) this afternoon. Was told it sold for $320k giving a 6.6% yeild.

I don't think Newlands has changed that much since I lived there. Who are all these mad people paying over the top prices?

Gerrard
    If I knew how I'd start this as a separate thread .....

Gerraard I can tell you why I bought the 2x2 property in Newland for $320k if you like (assuming you were speaking to Kngsly I think we are talking about the same one!) The property is currently under-rented (according to my valuer) - the yield is actually 6.8% . And yes from a yield point of view I wouldnt buy it at the rate either. I have 2 other properties which yield >10% but neither are in Wellington. I wanted to buy more property in Wellington basically because of the long term CG and good rental demand (which is just as important to the bottom line as the theoretical yield).
    But why this property in particular:

* two separate crossleased titles - the purchase was a joint with my ex-pat brother - this made it cleaner

* 1/2 the purchase price was the amount my brother wanted to borrow (given his deposit) - this made the property as is CF neutral after tax for us (including paying a PM & allowing for mtce and vacancy but including depreciation) its CF +ve before tax for my brother.

* the units were available separatly but we bought both because I am a control freak and I wouldnt want (or want my brother ) to own 1/2 a property.

* opportunity to add value because the crossleases can probably be converted to fee simple with minimal outlay

*opportunity to add value because one unit can have alternative street access there by giving the option to convert the existing carport (under the same roof) to a 3rd bedroom and changing the unit from 60m to 80m (havent done the detailed sums on this one yet - might have to wait until builders are more available and cheaper)

* bought slightly under valuation

* rentability - superior location - good access, park over the back fence, on a main road but quiet (because its down a drive) . Good size bedrooms and good indoor out door flow with deck and small grassed area each which is easily made secure for animals/children About the median rent for the area too.

* yes I think Newlands has/is changing - have you driven up Woodridge lately - we would get no change from selling our (nice) house in Khandallah to buy in that area ! That said there are some crap areas in Newlands I wouldnt buy in. Dont ask me where I read it - but I remember someone saying that out of towners can see what the locals are blind to because they assume nothing has changed . Westfield is going to triple the size of Johnsonville's shopping mall - I'm confident that the are is going places. Oddly enough I noticed in today's paper that the eastern suburbs have had the biggest drop of values in Wgtn - maybe someone noticed how far from town they are (I know I grew up there).
    *the only place for Wgtn to expand is North of Jville - Newlands has not caught up with Jville yet

Its a small world isnt it ! I guess my point is - that on the surface of it your comments are right - but every deal can have a different twist. You just have to be able to think of them on the spot (in this case we had to offer at the open home as someone else was inside doing the same ! )

The current yield is a good start (and at least they advertised it on this one!) but its not the end of the story - even if you dont rely on CG - which I dont - its the nice bit at the end. BTW I also buy to hold for 10 years no matter what! Now you wont the other offerer were you

Hi Lissie - no I only found out about the place after it was sold - that’s why I’m bitter!!

I thought you made some really good points. My other properties are also out of town and high yielding too, so I’m also looking to spread the risk around. I agree about the future of Newlands and have been looking myself for a while, but I’m really struggling to find something that stacks up.

the units were available separatly but we bought both because I am a control freak
    I’m with you there!

opportunity to add value because the crossleases can probably be converted to fee simple with minimal outlay

opportunity to add value because one unit can have alternative street access there by giving the option to convert the existing carport (under the same roof) to a 3rd bedroom and changing the unit from 60m to 80m (havent done the detailed sums on this one yet - might have to wait until builders are more available and cheaper)
    Great foresight.

1/2 the purchase price was the amount my brother wanted to borrow (given his deposit) - this made the property as is CF neutral after tax for us (including paying a PM & allowing for mtce and vacancy but including depreciation) its CF +ve before tax for my brother
    Yep, that’d do it. But I think from now on all investors should borrow 100% to make the whole game fair .

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to reply. It’s great to learn how other people are approaching things.

Cheers
    Gerrard

Comment

I have been halfheartedly looking at some lame-yielding blocks of units and so on in the Porirua area, and they are pretty depressing. I agree, you don't get much anywhere in wellington for the money.

I remember seeing 8 units right next to the Naenae shops and close to the paint factory for 550 a year and a half ago which I was vibing but I didn't quite have enough money at the time. If I'd bought them I am sure they would have gone up loads.

Comment

Ok, what about this for a return...as can be seen on Bank valuation below purchase price

Edited...
        I recently had a customer who estimated the value of his property for refinance at $250,000. We were looking for a 90%LVR.

The drive-past valuation came back at $200,000!!! Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. The valuer also estimated rental income at $170 per week even though there was a sitting tenant paying $185 per week.

I contacted my lender BDM and arranged for a full valuation to be done with customer agreeing to pay for this. This meant the valuer had to actually inspect the property including internally and provide comparable sales and rentals for similar properties in the area.

The valuer rang me after the full inspection and said he was prepared to value the property at $230,000 and to accept $180 per week rental.

This was the minimum valuation we needed to complete the deal so the customer was happy with that.
        (185*52)/250000=3.848%

Comment

Working...
        X