Gardening tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening tips

How do you make a low-cost, low-maintenance garden?

I have learned from some mistakes. For example, using miniature acmena as hedge is not a good idea. It requires constant spraying to fend off attack by insects. It needs regular trimming, and removing it after a few years can be costly because the trunk can become quite large.

Grisilinea is not a good idea either, mainly because it can become a huge tree if left unattended.

I find lavender quite nice looking and low maintenance, but it becomes woody after a few years.

Has another body had experience with day lilly and miniature akapansas?

What plants do you use for your rental properties?

Hi

mini agapanthas a very easily managed. I have also used yukkas. They are very easy to nurture at home if you are interested is saving costs as they can be expensive. You could also try hebes, native grasses and flax. I tend to go for a minimalistic look and and these plans seem to fit the bill.

I am sure that there are plenty of other plants that will cover the grounds like Lambs tongue etc.

It is worth going to the plant shop on Tidal Rd in Papatoetoe as they have a large range of plants at a very reasonable price. (It has been some time since I have needed to go so I do hope it is still there) The staff are very helpful and you need some time to poke around the many plants available.

I hope that helps a little.

Tamara
    You don't know how great things are until you loose it.

Comment

Originally posted by tamara
      I am sure that there are plenty of other plants that will cover the grounds like Lambs tongue etc.
      It is worth going to the plant shop on Tidal Rd in Papatoetoe
      Is Lambs tongue same as lambs ear? I find them easy to plant and they kind of multiply.
      Also, do you mean Roger Hunters on Tidal Rd, Mangere? Their plants are probably the cheapest in town.

Anybody has wandering dew problem like I do? I just found the answer from Mitre 10's website:

The correct name for Wandering Dew is Trandescantia. This can be controlled by using AMITROLE, a product by Yates. The weedkiller needs active green growth for it to work properly. The product WILL kill surrounding grass so you'll need spot applications carefully applied just to the weed. Leaving even one small bit alive will let it re-establish in the garden so you should be as thorough as possible.

Comment

A few years back my neighbour found out that you could ring Wellington City Council and go on the list to recieve free plants. The idea was that you use the plants to beautify your property from the roadside.

The waiting list was several months, and no guarantee about what you'd get, but it was still free plants.

No idea if they still do it.

Comment

For low mntnce hedging/screeing, I like camellias. Slow growing/establishing, but only need pruned once per year, look nice and glossy, never had any pests that I've noticed, flowers in the spring. Also pittosporum, some of the smaller growing verigated ones are nice hedged but they'll need more regular mntnce.

Most of my properties have had big gardens (I have a penchant for old villas with full size sections for cap gain).
          I now have my little systems for hiding old fences and making things look good and tidy. Basically plant the garden area you don't want to mow or weed, edge with whatever, lay newspapers really thick over the entire area grass, weed and all, I mean real thick, and then water it and bark mulch it thick. I can get two good years of nearly no mntnce garden from a couple of hours of work.
          Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Hi Gatekeeper,

For low mntnce hedging/screeing, I like camellias. Slow growing/establishing, but only need pruned once per year, look nice and glossy, never had any pests that I've noticed, flowers in the spring. Also pittosporum, some of the smaller growing verigated ones are nice hedged but they'll need more regular mntnce.
            While I do like camellias, again they can grow into big trees after a few years, and pruning them costs money.

I now have my little systems for hiding old fences
            What is your trick?

lay newspapers really thick over the entire area grass, weed and all, I mean real thick, and then water it and bark mulch it thick.
            How thick? Is 1-inch enough? My experience is that after a year or so weed lands on the barks and starts spreading.

Comment

I reckon you can't go past palms for some seriously easy to manage plants that look great and grow quick. Bangalows or queen palms are best. Here in Whangarei, within a few years they're over 2 metres tall and look great as well as adding value. No leaves all over the place either.

I also bark and weed mat (fibre matting, not the cheap woven plastic) and use low "plant and forget" shrubs between the palms. Easy.
              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

The plave in Tidal road is called 'Rogers'
                Excellent prices & selection.
                They usally have a advert in saturday herald showing
                whats on special & prices.
                They are 'no frills' - ie: no ef-pos - cash/cheque only
                Roger is a bit of a character, entertaining , to say the least !

Casacamo

Comment

Originally posted by fudosan
                  Hi Gatekeeper,

While I do like camellias, again they can grow into big trees after a few years, and pruning them costs money.

I now have my little systems for hiding old fences
                  What is your trick?

lay newspapers really thick over the entire area grass, weed and all, I mean real thick, and then water it and bark mulch it thick.
                  How thick? Is 1-inch enough? My experience is that after a year or so weed lands on the barks and starts spreading.
                  The best camellias for hedging are Sasanqua, small flowered, small leaves. A quick trim after flowering once a year is pretty low mntnce. They don't grow into big trees quickly in Wellington, Auckland may be different.

To stop the weeds seeding down, plant all your bare spaces with something like Reinga reinga lillies or small hebes, you have to plant thick from the start to keep out the light. You don't want the ground disturbed later as this encourages the weeds. After about two years I go over with bark mulch again if necessary.

If it gets too crowded, you can pull and split the reinga reingas for other areas. They'll grow just about anywhere.

My trick is the paper/mulch gardens, I've put them right down long ugly fencelines. To make it work well, you need at least a good sized Saturday paper thick. When I've been a bit short on newspapers and spread them out a bit thinner, it doesn't work so well. Its got to keep the weeds out until the plants grow enough to keep out the light.

I've used weedmatting, and agree with drelly that the plastic type is a pain. I use it under gravel paths, but not in the garden.
                  Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Comment

Thanks Gatekeeper. With the warm and rainy weather here in Auckland, plants grow really fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X