Current Status of Proposed CBD Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Status of Proposed CBD Developments

A lot of Office tower developments were proposed for Auckland CBD as recently as 12 months ago. I'm interested in whether anyone has any knowledge about the current status of the below, or any to add to the list:

Proposed
    - Westfield Tower above Downtown Shopping Centre - Consented
    - Dae Ju Shortland Street tower on ex Auckland Star site/carpark next to police station - Consented
    - Tower on Albert Street above Food Alley - Proposed
    - Tower on Rose and Crown site - Proposed
    - Dae Ju Elliot Tower on Elliot/Albert/Victoria st on site of Bungy Rocket/Carpark - Consented

Under construction/complete
    - Downtown House 21 Queen Street
    - Delloite 80 Queen Street
    - Telecom Headquarters on Victoria Street
    - Westpac/Ernst Young Britomart East
    - St Laurance House 139 Quay Street

Also the proposed refurbishment of the current BNZ building after they move to Deloite House.

Any others? Imagine funding and lack of tenant interest in 21 Queen Street is putting most plans on backburners...

Mr Bond,

Just use the interactive Google map here to check the status of major developments in Auckland CBD and neighboring areas.

Cheers.

Comment

i'm quite interested in the old lion brewery redevelopment in kyberpass road

from that google map

One of New Zealand's largest real estate developments and one of the biggest urban renewal projects in Auckland is being planned for the heart of Newmarket. The site's 5.2 ha will be transformed by the Australian insurance giant and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority from a factory to a "mini-village", a high-end mixed-use development which will include new streets, large commercial buildings and pockets of retail outlets and residential areas.

with the current bleak outlook for commercial, the glut of high end apartments and difficulties with getting finance it's going to be interesting to see how it progresses
      Last edited by eri; 30-10-2009, 12:24 PM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Lion is still in there for another year as they more the plant to the new site.

I think the Rhubarb lane site is also interesting. About the size of the Britomart but without the constraints of the historical buildings. The victoria park market site is also earmarked for re development one money starts flowing back.

Auckland has great capacity to grow in population if people were willing to move out of the suburbs. The problem is the rich don't want to so most of the developments target the low end.

Comment

Interesting map Fudo.

Lion Breweries will be an interesting development. I just cant see it happening quickly in the current environment (ditto tank farm).

Comment

Tank farm is longer term anyway due to the existing leases I thought.

Comment

Tank Farm/Wynyard Quarter development is moving along quite well. See my "Jellicoe Street update" blog dated Oct 29.

Comment

never knew that function existed in Google Maps, would Wellington maps display that sort of information? Was playing around with it but couldn't find it.

Comment

Not as indepth as the google maps version, but the only 'active' proposed projects (ie excluding Telecom, Westpac buildings nearing completion) I know of in the CBD at the moment are;

- KIPT development for ASB down by Halsey Street
                  - Proposed new tower for ANZ on the Rose and Crown site
                  - Cooper and Co's new carpark/retail building adjoining Foodtown on Quay Street

There is also a refurbishment being undertaken on the ex BNZ tower opposite 80 Queen St but I think this may just be the retail component.

Let me know if I've missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_bond View Post
                    - Cooper and Co's new carpark/retail building adjoining Foodtown on Quay Street
                    Is that really the best use for the land???

I have also heard something about a concrete plant - maybe I should just google it.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Is that really the best use for the land???
                      I think they are obliged to build a carpark somewhere as part of the westpac or EY deals.

I also have a vague recollection of a height limit on the site so as not to block views from scene apartments.

Comment

Let me know if I've missed something.
                        What about the Rhubarb Lane mixed-use development by Brookfield Multiplex, as well as refurbishment of Achilles House and Taspac Bldg?

Just yesterday I walked past Excelsior House (22-24 Customs St E) and noticed a scaffolding was set up and the workers were busy. Back in January I saw ads for office lease of levels 2, 3, and 4 already, so this suggests the building will be ready to supply more office space. As Cooper & Co continues their Britomart renovation project, more space (office/retail/residential) will be available. Talking about increasing office supply during recession!

Comment

I think they are obliged to build a carpark somewhere as part of the westpac or EY deals.

I also have a vague recollection of a height limit on the site so as not to block views from scene apartments.
                          Aahhh that makes sense. Hopefully they make it mixed retail (and from memory a Les Mills) on the bottom floor so it is nice to walk past.

Comment

The 6-storey building will be located at the corner of Quay Street and Britomart Place next to the Countdown supermarket in Auckland CBD. The ground floor will be taken up by retail spaces and the rest for 1250 carparks. I recall at one stage there was talk about a gym on the ground floor. Not sure what's gonna happen there.

Nevertheless, I don't like the idea of ever increasing carparks in the CBD area. Instead, I'd like to see more pedestrianisation of the area.

Comment

Working...
                            X