HELP!!! What are my rights here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! What are my rights here?

I rented a unit that is a converted garage. I asked the agent if it was all legal and she said yes. Yesterday the council inspector was on the property and told me that it was an illegal property and I would probably have to move out!!! Does anyone know what rights I have here.? I believe that because I was lied to by the land agent that she should be held responsible for all costs of moving. Plus, although I doubt it would happen I have heard that others in my situation have had some of their rent repaid to them for paying for illegal dwellings.

Help would be appreciated!!!

Council will issue an abatement notice to the owner, giving them 14 days to remove you. When this happened to me once The landlord will have to give you 90 days notice and house you until that period expires or pay for you to stay somewhere else.

Comment

Suggest you call the dbh tenancy services on 0800 83 62 62.
      They can give detailed info on what to do.
      'Never let the wild bastards grind you down'. Winston Churchill.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, ringing tenancy tribunal was on my list for things to do tomorrow. I have always had great land agents and had good relationships with them over the years, so 1 bad 1 in 25 years isn't bad. However, uplifting again is a daunting thought as when I find flats I like I don't usually move unless my job has made me....arghh. Wish me luck.

Comment

In addition if there are any good landlords in chch with good legal 2 bedroom homes out there I am in the market and am a GOOD tenant that has never missed a rent payment and treat homes as I would if they are my own...why? Because I have to live in them.

Comment

Permission to Panic Denied

Take Dean's advice and do nothing until the Council
            does something. The bureaucrat may return to the
            rarefied air of his concrete canyon and find something
            in the file that renders his comment null and void.

Comment

If you are living in a garage now, then would you/are you able to be in a position to afford a 2 bedroom flat or similar?
              (Roughly $190 - $260 pw required in Ch-ch)

Surely obviously you are living in a garage due to financial requirements,.....no?!

What are you actually looking for and how much are you wanting to pay?

Comment

Working...
              X