• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default relocating houses on to a site!

Hi guys,

If anyone here has done a relocation house on to a site then I'd absolutely love to hear from you. I'm quite keen to do one on my land in the far north. There seems to be no shortage of groovy looking houses for sale at various yards in the Auckland and Whangarei area, for a price that makes it seem like it could be well worth doing. Do you reckon that the price of the house/relocation plus about 15k would be about right for a ball-park, once you take into account surveyers, council fees, connection to services, etc?

I'm also in touch with the Far North District council already, and a surveyer, who may even be able to project manage for me. I'll also let you know how I go.

Any information or tips most welcome!
    cheers-
    Mini

I looked into it once and the general advice was that you just never know what the actual costs will be when you have to work on the house because you don't know what you might find...

Hi Mini

Welcome back.

New building code regulations came into force late last year and councils are generally tightening up on house removals and renovations mainly because of the leaky house syndrome.

How much will it cost to move and relocate, I don't know but it may cost alot more than you think before the house becomes rentable.

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Hi

I agree with Muppet. The expenses of shifting a lifted house are totally unknow once you have paid the known. Some of the relocation properties I have seen have been sitting vacant for ages need more work than you imagine.

While I was looking into this idea I came across a guy who build 3 brm homes on his lifesyle block. They were ready to move into just needed to be moved on site and connected to the utilies for a very reasonable price. It seemed a better option.

Tamara

Default wary pays - ask, ask, ask.

I too have looked long and hard at this (moving prebuilts onto a vacant site) but it was a while ago and the urge passed. Talk to house movers to get a good idea of initial costs - unit, moving,ancillaries - don't forget to tell them what you want done and where; get a good!!! builder to tell you what he/she would charge to make sound; get a plumber; get an electrician. Then there is the finishing off/decorating.

Add it all together and slap on about 20%.

I say this 'cause my Brother did this exact thing when buying a plot in the Kiwifruit-belt in Edgecumbe(sp?) for the family home. He has done as much as possible of the work himself (he's a truckie) and it has therefore taken years but time aside, so many little niggly costs have reared their ugly head. In the end though he has twelve acres, a good cropping kiwi plot and a property worth 1.3mil from an outlay of about 390g's. Can't bear to think of the hours.

The more spade work you do the better your gains.
    Just like everything else I s'pose.
    Given the time I'd do it at the drop of a hat - but that ain't for everyone.

Erik

Hi Mini

We to have eyed up this option in particular for adding another house to some of our properties, 1000 sqm is far too big a section these days

My mother-in-law has just been through the process at lake Rotoiti, she moved a small 2 bedroom house from Taneatua. The move cost just $7000 but the incidentals hurt (Sewerage tank, water connection, high foundation because high water table design planning etc)

On the whole she probably would have been better off with buying the batch next door :sigh:

Still let us know how you get on

Cheers David

Hi everyone, thanks for the chat!
    Monid - -! Curious - how much were the incidentals all up? on top of the move?
    Was she able to get the house for free or did she already own it?

I will show you the sort of thing I have been looking at:

I know Marton to Kaitaia is a bit far, but just the kind of thing available for the price...
    40k 2 bedroom
    http://www.brittons.co.nz/Listings/B167.html

60k 5 bedroom
    http://www.brittons.co.nz/Listings/B142.html

that's just the tip of the ice-berg though

hey tamara - yes, indeed, a brand new development is my other option.
    Do you have the contact details for the person who makes the properties in their back yard (!!???)

cheers-
    Mini

Keep up the discussion!!

Hi there,

ah, this just in - here's the website for the relocation book that Orion was talking about.

http://houseremovals.place.cc/

I found it quite by accident by following all the links on this page
    http://www2.piperpat.co.nz/nz/building/recycle.html
    (loads of links to house removers etc)

the book author site is a bit dodgy display-wise (well, on my mac anyway) and doesn't have a secure server thingie for orders either, so the email for orders for the book (in case you can't find it on the site) is

doef at clear dot net dot nz
    (trying to save the poor guy from web spiders)

cheers- and thanks also to Orion for the private help.

Meanwhile, I've made contact with someone who has done several relocations in NZ and am gonna basically pay them to pick their brain - cool huh!

Will let you know what I learn!
    This is fun!

Hi Mini

I will dig out some information for you and post it.

Tamara

Hey Mini - would love to know what you find out. Have been considering the option again recently myself.

Some advice from a fried who has done it: Never buy off a yard. You are paying for 2 removal costs (1 to get it to the yard, and another to get it to your section. Look in T&E, or through contacts and you can buy the house a lot cheaper.

Gerrard

Thread Information