Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WARNING!!! Rogue property manager in Auckland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a document for pecuniary advantage

Hi Guys

To be fair I, like Glenn, am a little suspicious about this story. No I didn't see it on TV.

If true and accurately reported Yes this situation totally sucks for everybody.

The tenant is out of pocket along with the hardships that go with it. Other law abiding hard working genuine landlords are slighted by this reprobate mascarading as a bone fide landlord.

What I want to know is what are police doing about this person. There appears to me to be plenty of evidence for them to put this person before the courts at the very least for "Using a document for pecuniary advantage".

She no doubt had the prospective tenants sign an agreement. There's the document. They paid over heaps of money. There's the pecuniary advantage. It's sort of a like a fraud charge. You go to prison for that.

Personally I don't buy into this talk about trust accounts. Yes I know that PM's affiliated to REINZ all use them but in this situation that means squat. Well apart from the fact that the tenant may be able to get their money back. Maybe.

My experience with both Reinz PM's and Independents has established, in my mind at least, that they are all genuine people trying to do a good job and earn an honest living to support their families. They both care about the tenants and the property owners. Neither would dump on the tenants or the property owners in this fashion.

The Property Managers review run by the Department of Justice at the beginning of the year looked into just this sort of situation and found that there was very little evidence (read "NO evidence") of any serious wrong doing by PM's that was not already covered by some other form of legislation. Thus the decision not to incorporate PM's into the Real Estate Agents act.

Now the key issue is how do we prevent our reputation being tarnished by this type of person in the future. Honestly I would love to know. As a member of the NZPIF executive I would love to hear your ideas.

Because I have read on this site that PT contributors like transparency I am the Central Region Reprersentative for the NZPIF. I, along with Andrew King, represented the NZPIF in discussions with regards to the PM review.

I have to say I still smell a rat. Something doesn't sound right.
    Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

Originally posted by janesco View Post
      Hi Guys

I have to say I still smell a rat. Something doesn't sound right.
      Very well said.
      The news article on TV1 said that the police had been advised and that the police were supposed to be taking some action.
      I must admit I should have looke at the TV1 web site. They apparently have more details there over and above what they broadcast.
      I wonder if any of the PTers have looked?

Comment

Hi, new here, had to register to chime in.

My sister-in-law was among those who got scammed by this person. The MO was much like what Mamahiko described, you're asked to be paid a bond and then come "transfer day" the keys were never given and the agent (using the Esther Peters alias under 100 PC Property Management) couldn't be contacted.

We'd like advice on how to go about attempting to recover what we lost, and this fraudster be brought to justice. The news report stated that charges have been filed; should they need more witnesses my sister-in-law is willing to be one. Should we go to the police first and ask about it? Or the do we go to the Tenancy Tribunal and see if they have a record of that case? Or do we go to TVNZ to enquire for more details about that news item?

Advice and suggestions are most welcome, thank you very much. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by beldeti View Post

My sister-in-law was among those who got scammed by this person. The MO was much like what Mamahiko described, you're asked to be paid a bond and then come "transfer day" the keys were never given and the agent (using the Esther Peters alias under 100 PC Property Management) couldn't be contacted.

We'd like advice on how to go about attempting to recover what we lost, and this fraudster be brought to justice. The news report stated that charges have been filed; should they need more witnesses my sister-in-law is willing to be one. Should we go to the police first and ask about it? Or the do we go to the Tenancy Tribunal and see if they have a record of that case? Or do we go to TVNZ to enquire for more details about that news item?

Welcome to the forum beldeti.
          If I was in Auckland I would fill out the application for you and personally pay for the $20 application fee. You are welcome to contact me for further advice on the private message facility of PT. this gets it out of the public area and I can move over to email and send you a completed application form by email attachment.
          There are two sides to the law in NZ civil and criminal.
          For the majority of criminal cases the police do the applications to the court. For the civil you have to do them yourself.
          For cases like this there are two components being both civil and criminal.
          Never rely on the police and the criminal court to bring you justice.
          Justice as in money in the hand.
          So yes there is only one way for the loved one to at least have a decent go at getting her money back. That is to make an application to the tenancy tribunal. This is a simple cheap process and everyone along the way will bend over backwards to help her. No legal representation is permitted by either party so no complicated knots to trip you up.
          I await your PM.

Comment

Thanks Glenn, already PM'd you some more details about our case.

Comment

Yep got your PM.
              Hey I am already enjoying this.
              It is like getting ready for a wild turkey shoot.

Comment

Well done Glenn for stepping up and offering your expertise.

This is what makes PT such a great community.

Paul.

Comment

esther peters aka leah peters and alyia mc laren

im glad to c her caught, i too was scammed by her.
                  It makes me angry to know she could lie with no remorse,
                  and to be so greedy and take over 60,000 from over 40 reported cases by far.
                  My brother warned me that she was a scammer as i had to pay 60% of the bond on the day we went to view the house @ eugena rise....
                  but because i had raised that matter with esther peters and she assured me that she is not a scammer as naive as i was, i believed her.
                  warnin 2 others, if u c a nice cheap house and it seems 2 gud 2 b true, then it most probally is, and if the person leasing the house seems dodgy....then dont 2nd guess yourself.
                  Alyia/hepe/leah/esther has stuffed us around quite abit, it was such a hassle packing all our furniture and hiring a trailer to find tenants were already livin in the house on the day we were sposed to be movin.

Comment

hi

hope u have reported her, i reported her a month ago, and was advised that there were ova 40 other reported cases, take your receipts wit u too

Comment

Originally posted by niao View Post
                      hope u have reported her, i reported her a month ago, and was advised that there were ova 40 other reported cases, take your receipts wit u too
                      Glenn has been very helpful in giving us advice on how to go about it.

Wow, over 40 other cases... hope we can add to the fray, plus we have one other friend who got scammed by her. Actually this friend was the one who referred that property manager to us, and he also got scammed.

So that's one more person who'll report her.

Comment

well i had reported her nearly 2 months ago (b4), theres probly ova 50 reports by now

Glenn has been very helpful in giving us advice on how to go about it.

Wow, over 40 other cases... hope we can add to the fray, plus we have one other friend who got scammed by her. Actually this friend was the one who referred that property manager to us, and he also got scammed.

So that's one more person who'll report her.
                        Well I reported her nearly 2 months ago (b4 it hit the news), its most probably gone over 50 reported cases by now, I'm surprised to see other people have yet still not reported her, rather then going to those tribunals I'd rather go through the cops, they're doing pretty good with keeping me updated with Esther Peters.
                        Last edited by muppet; 04-09-2009, 11:48 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                          Very well said.
                          The news article on TV1 said that the police had been advised and that the police were supposed to be taking some action.
                          I must admit I should have looke at the TV1 web site. They apparently have more details there over and above what they broadcast.
                          I wonder if any of the PTers have looked?
                          The police had arrested her before she appeared on 1 news, I reported her two weeks before she hit the news and the police would have arrested her a week before I reported her.
                          Last edited by muppet; 04-09-2009, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Right on. I have a couple of minutes to do a few checks of the parties.

Searching the companies office I come up with a company called 100 percent rentals Ltd. This is a company owned by a Susan Brooking for 5 Tasman Place Palmerston North.

Searching for Esther Peters I come up with her being a share holder of
                            INNOVATIVE REALTY SOLUTIONS LIMITED
                            11 Beach Rd Auckland CBD

PETERS, Esther 03-AUG-2009 1428/72 Nelson St, Auckland
                            Can anyone had to these two names.
                            Do they relate to the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                              Right on. I have a couple of minutes to do a few checks of the parties.

Searching the companies office I come up with a company called 100 percent rentals Ltd. This is a company owned by a Susan Brooking for 5 Tasman Place Palmerston North.

Searching for Esther Peters I come up with her being a share holder of
                              INNOVATIVE REALTY SOLUTIONS LIMITED
                              11 Beach Rd Auckland CBD

PETERS, Esther 03-AUG-2009 1428/72 Nelson St, Auckland
                              Can anyone had to these two names.
                              Do they relate to the subject.
                              Sorry neither of those ring a bell; the only info we have are those written on the Tenancy Agreement we sent you.

Comment

Sorry neither of those ring a bell; the only info we have are those written on the Tenancy Agreement we sent you.
                                Fair enough beldeti.
                                Sorry for the long delay getting your draft application written.
                                It will only take a few minutes.
                                I was sort of hoping that someone out there would have come across the lady. Of particular interest was the tribunal application where someone of the same name got evicted.
                                Been busy filing 5 tribunal applications of my own over the last three weeks. Not to mention the associated work of cleaning up messed up flats.

Comment

Working...
                                X