Can I hear another BOOM coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I hear another BOOM coming.

Down here in Nelson I have never been busier with rentals.

Fellow members what is happening around the country.

Thought you might like to read a couple of lines about what I am experiencing.

Despite what all the "experts" who do very little of the work themselves, might be saying, I see the signs to indicate that Nelson is about to see another move forward.
    I have been amazed at the strength of the rental market in the last couple of months.
    I let 22 properties in November (many new management jobs) and have done 6 evictions and one near eviction in the last few weeks. This sort of activity has in the past indicated movement in the market. Society is reorganising itself. A significant number of people are arriving in the city for work or new life style and I have even got two different people chasing a $420 property.

So yes the market is alive and well. I have recently signed up two families from Dunedin and fielded lots more from Christchurch, Otago and other places north and south.
    More families are coming from Dunedin than ever before for what ever reason. I am sure it can not be great landlords here.

So is every city the same. Have you got more applicants than empty houses in your city. Are rents going up or holding steady.

Glenn

Here's a snippet from Christchurch.

In the last month I have got rid of five bad tennants (dirty,late payers etc.) and have let them all with newies.

Still have three on the waiting list waiting for flats with another two coming down from Auckland next month.

I'll be going thru my IP's as time permits looking to cull more bad tennants if any.

All in all not a bad result.
    This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Comment

In south Auckland, I had a bad tenant get rid of themselves, abscond is the technical term I believe.

Having trouble finding new tenant 2 weeks before Christmas.

Other than that, all other rentals (in Auckland and Hamilton) are stable, with a round of rental increases earlier in the year holding fast.

The Dog

Comment

Historically. The rental market is slow and more difficult to rent prior to Xmas but then picks up in the New Year once everybody gets back from there holidays.
        Likewise the real estate market normally picks up in summer too.

Comment

Shucks Whitt if December this year is what is called slow and more difficult I just hate to think what the phone and market will be doing in the new year.
          Let another house today for $250 (had been $240) and signed one up for $410 per week yesterday.
          It looks to me as if 2005 will be a good year.
          Just hope I can cope.
          Sorry folks must go got someone coming to the door with another bottle of wine. Bring on those gifts folks
          Merry Christmas everyone.

Glenn

Comment

hi there had two bad tenants in wanganui in the last month couldnt get rid of one till last friday advertised saturday week before christmas, had 18 calls and 4 who desparately wanted the place...mmmm plenty of tenants maybe the rents can move even furhter ahead, "the regular guy i guess listens to the experts, figures the property market is too expensive and interest rates too high to buy their own home so will continue renting for a bit longer"

thought i was going to be left with a empty house over xmas and maybe january
            Kia kaha

Comment

Wow Things are certainly alive and well in Christchurch. Advertised a 3 bedroomed house today...was a little nervous havent had a vacancy since April this year when things were buoyant, plus with it being Xmas 'n all........Result was... phone red hot and by midday(had a viewing time at 11.30am), had 4 parties that wanted it, by 2.00pm after reference checks etc etc it was let.....rental demand is still way up there thats 4 sure
              We All Make Mistakes Said The Hedgehog As He Climbed Off The Scrubbing Brush !!

Comment

We've got a 3 dbrm in Raumati Beach up for rent. Got it listed with a property manager - who is incidentally on holiday so we have our fingers crossed that on her return she makes our rental top priority.

Generally in Kapiti it takes 4 - 8 weeks to rent your IP.

Cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Goodness that does not sound like a boom in Kapiti.
                  I just can not imagine having a house empty for that period of time.

Whats this about property managers going on holiday.

I have an outgoing and incoming tenant getting upset that I did not allow more than a couple of hours between them today.

Just had a couple of calls chasing what ever I have.
                  Am down to just one property empty at the moment. That one has elderly owners upstairs who need another elderly tenant. Real hard to find just the right mix there.

Comment

Working...
                  X