X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Court punishes apartment sale defaulter to the tune of $470k

High Court punishes apartment sale defaulter to the tune of $470k

Tony Stickley | Friday July 10 2009 - 07:57am
    A buyer that defaulted on an agreed apartment purchase has been hit with more than 50 times the vendor’s loss on the transaction.
    At first blush The Docks Ltd appeared to lose a relatively insignificant $9000 when it eventually sold the property, but the company’s lawyer, Tim Allan of Grove Darlow, has managed to persuade Justice Raynor Asher in the High Court at Auckland to enter judgment for an astonishing $473,281.80.
    The judge said that the figure, though high, was justified. Hong Wen Liu signed a contract for the unit at a purchase price of $589,000 with settlement due on October 16, 2007.
    However, he defaulted and never settled.
    In February last year the Docks cancelled the contract and eventually sold the property for $580,000 to another purchaser.
    “The shortfall, therefore, was relatively modest,” Justice Asher observed.
    He said that there were two elements that made the amount sought so high - interest and an underwrite fee.
    The judge said that under the sale and purchase agreement interest was payable at four times the bill rate, which worked out at 34.56 per cent for just over a year when Mr Liu was in default prior to the resale.
    “On the face of it this is an extraordinarily high interest rate, and I was concerned that it might have been a penalty,” Justice Asher said.
    However, evidence was produced to show that taking into account the cost of servicing loans to second and third tier lenders “who demand very high interest rates,” legal fees, loan set-up charges and other fees, The Docks was itself paying interest of 27.1 per cent, only seven per cent less than Mr Liu had to pay.
    The judge said he was satisfied that although the interest rate was very high, it was not a penalty and “not extravagant or unconscionable.”
    He said that the Docks also had to pay a “very high” underwrite fee of $232,000.
    “I am satisfied that the plaintiff was in a very difficult position when the defendant defaulted, and that a genuine underwrite agreement was entered into with a third party.
    “The underwrite fee, although 40 percent of the purchase price, could be seen by the plaintiff reasonably as a better prospect than having to sell at a fire sale with all the attendant costs and fees.

“I have also been provided with satisfactory affidavit evidence proving that the underwrite fee was paid and is therefore a genuine loss arising from the defendant’s default,” Justice Asher said.
    He entered judgment against Mr Liu for $473,281.80.
    The action was initially defended, but there was no appearance for Mr Liu at the hearing.
    The National Business Review Online is New Zealand's authority in breaking business news and analysis.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Crikey! The Docks...

Originally posted by muppet View Post
    “The underwrite fee, although 40 percent of the purchase price, could be seen by the plaintiff reasonably as a better prospect than having to sell at a fire sale with all the attendant costs and fees.

“I have also been provided with satisfactory affidavit evidence proving that the underwrite fee was paid and is therefore a genuine loss arising from the defendant’s default,” Justice Asher said.
    I've heard a little bit about these .... how does it work, anyone? captaincrab?

As for this: "The judge said that under the sale and purchase agreement interest was payable at four times the bill rate, which worked out at 34.56 per cent for just over a year..."

Youch!
    Peter Aranyi
    Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

I'd be pretty annoyed to pay the underwrite fee when in essence you are underwriting it anyway (since you pay the shortfall).

An extra $100k and he could have had an apartment

Comment

I'm assuming that it was the new purchaser that received the underwrite fee in this case. So effectively it was no different than a discount. Net price was still $348k (580 - 232) which still seems high for a leasehold apt - though hard to say without knowing size/position etc.

Can't see any chance that the $580k resale was arms length in current market hence the assumption that the underwrite fee was a set-off/discount.

CT

Comment

Can someone explain the Underwrite fee please
          Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

The way I understand it, the underwriter is paid a fee to guarantee the sale of a property, typically off the plans. If the property doesn't sell (or settle) the underwriter has to complete the purchase. It works the same way as an insurance premium.

Not sure if that's the way it worked above as there isn't enough detail in the article to say for sure.

CT

Comment

In this case I think the Underwrite Fee has been used as a device to both keep the value up(recorded sales in the project for valuers) and possibly manufacture a deposit. As cycle trader pointed out the "real" price was $348k. Also , by doing it this way they might be able to fool a Bank that the Fee was a deposit. As we all know Leasehold is hard to finance (50-65% LVR) and that they are worth eff all.
              Effectively the Developer has been able to sell them with 100% finance if they have got away with it.
              Naughty but clever.

Usually an Underwrite Fee is a fixed amount, say 25-50k plus a discount on purchase price. Its a back up to a normal sale and often used to help a Developer get to their pre-sale level for Development Funding. The hook is, if your unit is not sold on, then you have to settle it.
              Last edited by captaincrab; 10-07-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captaincrab View Post
                Usually an Underwrite Fee is a fixed amount, say 25-50k plus a discount on purchase price. Its a back up to a normal sale and often used to help a Developer get to their pre-sale level for Development Funding.
                Thanks for that, David!
                Yes, that's <sort of> what I thought -- but the 40% i.e. $232,000 (!!) blew my model. We've seen the term in some of the Blue Chip paperwork, too, in a similar - not identical - context.

My Q: What lawyer would let their client sign up for that? - P

PS "Naughty but clever"? ... May I have the envelope, please.
                Peter Aranyi
                Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

Peter,
                  Thinking about it some more I did meet a reseller who said they were selling Docks Units with 10% deposit and I wondered how?
                  348/580 = 60% LVR and bankable. The 10% cash or part of, would have gone as a fee to the Agent.

Comment

Working...
                  X