No announcement yet.

Davo Tries Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Davo. The top floor looks well suited to a conversion..plenty of space and lots of light.

G
    Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Well done Dave.
      I prefer the picture instead of the link.

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
        Yes but surely not after the mortgagee has sold the property.

I think they can sell right up to the point that the mortgagee sells but once it's sold, it's gone. I'm sure I'm right in this, but correct me if I'm not.
        You are correct. Even if they did sell just before the auction they would need the mortgagees consent to the sale, as always.

TBH I have no idea ladyagent is on about, could you expand on your post ladyagent?

Comment

So on Friday I had the locks changed and put up notices telling the tenants that if they want to get back in they'll have to arrange it with me.

And I arranged to have an alarm system put in this morning. I need one for insurance purposes since it's vacant.

And so while I was there, the tenants turned up and removed the last of their stuff. Left all their rubbish behind of course! But that's fine, easy enough to remove. They took all their big crappy bits of furniture out which was good.

I'll have the alarm monitored once Telecom can get there to put a line on. Can you believe 10 days for a new business line in 2009? Vodafone were no better.

One of the things I first need to fix is the leaking roof.The previous owner/occupiers had let it leak for years, doing some damage to the interior.

I had the plumber up there on Friday. A nice old guy (80!) called Neville Wooderson who is an expert with leaks. He reckoned the roof actually wasn't too bad. A lot of remedial work has been done already. But he recommended I went around after the next lot of rain and checked the ceiling/roof to see if there were any leaks. So, I used a step ladder and a torch. Poked my head up into the ceiling and though I heard a whisper... it said "Exnzpat - you are full of craaaaaappp". Just kidding. Did find a few small leaks, but only small ones. I'll get Neville to sort those out, probably once I've settled.

And then I went over to the council to read the property file. Hadn't done this. An interesting thing came up. My grandfather (mum's father) used to own this property! Didn't know that and couldn't believe it! He died when my mum was 19 and I was no where to be seen, so I didn't know him but I did know he was a businessman in that area. He bought it on JUne 2nd, 1949 (almost exactly 60 years ago) and sold it 6 years later. Amazing, I'll have to talk to my mum about it.

Next things are to get the non-functioning lift checked out and get onto the architect, who hasn't rung me back. Still have to settle too...
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well Davo, what goes round comes round.

And no sign of expat.

Bet that was a relief.
            "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
              Well Davo, what goes round comes round.

And no sign of expat.

Bet that was a relief.
              What do you mean?
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

He wasn't up there, in the ceiling,
                looking for leaks, like you, perhaps?
                (But with a nail-puller, instead!)

Comment

Well done Davo, great story

Funny how you connected with a property that had family ..... connections, more ghostly than Expats story aye ?

But doesnt surprise me, like me buying my old boss's house, my next house was in Glennis Place - my mum's name.

Maybe you were guided by your Grandads Ghost to the great deal

Comment

Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                    Well done Davo, great story
                    Funny how you connected with a property that had family ..... connections, more ghostly than Expats story aye ?
                    But doesnt surprise me, like me buying my old boss's house, my next house was in Glennis Place - my mum's name.
                    Maybe you were guided by your Grandads Ghost to the great deal
                    While also wanting to chip in with my congratulations to you on the acquisition, David (good for you!), the 'ghost' aspect reminded me of a time we had someone look after a house for a few weeks while we were overseas...

Our seemingly level-headed friend calmly informed us she'd had a number of conversations with the 'old guy' who (apparently) haunted the house. She'd spoken to him at the top of the stairs and elsewhere, she explained casually, as if she expected us to know what she was talking about.
                    But, as I told her, "he" had never said anything to us (let alone "Boo") in the time we were there.

Maybe we weren't 'sensitive' enough? - Peter
                    Peter Aranyi
                    Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

Comment

I don't know the area at all but sounds like a good deal to me! Well done! How much are you spending on it and what income do you think you'll get?
                      Last edited by drelly; 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM.
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

NZ is a small country isn't it. I bought a place then found my boss on the title. It was him that drew up the curly crosslease!

Comment

well done & thanks for sharing

Davo I just want to say I hope you have had plenty of pats on the back for nailing this deal... really is fascinating to hear the reports... clearly you are a 'pilot' & not a 'passenger'... keep it up & i look forward to hearing the progress reports.
                          Regards. Kiwispirit

Comment

Gosh that's high praise kiwispirit. Not sure I deserve it. I'm just refurbishing commercial property not saving the rainforests.

I will keep the developement reports coming. Just been reading the district plan again, talking to agents, trying to get hold of my architect but he's away sick with the flu etc. Got some rubbish to remove. Mortgagee occupiers always take the stuff that is of any value and leave the rest. Also getting phone line on on Monday, so alarm can be monitored.

Slowly slowy catchy monkey!
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Davo36 - My Story
                              When can we expect the first installment?
                              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

When I'm old and grey and writing my memoirs!
                                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                                X