Charitable Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charitable Trust

Has anyone on PT set up a charitable trust?

If yes was it used for beneficiaries , let's say another charity overseas?

I am looking at doing some charity work overseas.

I haven't seen a lawyer or accountant yet but I would like to start a discussion on this here.

Thanks for your input!

No t much to discuss sadly, I have talked to the top charitable trust people in the country to try and set one up for our work in Fiji. It can't be done unless you are an organisation like world Vision or a multi national.
    As soon as it is leaving NZ it is taxable so you can't get donee status.

Comment

Nope, but I do know that a donation is tax deductable. I heard that some compaines like mike pero and platinum rentals make large donations and that it's tax deductable. I think they were like a bronse sponcer of Free Ambulance in NZ. Does anyone else know of good ways to reduce tax or that sort of stuff? Are there any other companies out there that make large donotons. I also saw that Mike Pero made the seller of the kiwi shaped fejoa give $500 to charity. Did anyone see that auction. It went from $20 to $1000 with one bid. Would anyone else pay $1000 for a piece of fruit? What is a charitable trust anyway? Is that a non profit trust that gives all there profit away?

Comment

Hi Johnny1919

Generally any donation to charitable organization recognized by IRD is tax deductible.

Now any donation that goes overseas is an issue. Obviously Red Cross, World Vision etc can still claims these funds as tax Deductible.

Dean has said that other than these big organizations any other charitable organization moving finds off shore will pay tax funds moved.

What I'd like to know is how do the laws work for these organizations.

Comment

They apply to the government for an exemption to the charitable trust tax laws.

Comment

Hey Dean

How easy/difficult is it to get exemption? Any idea?

Comment

"For all intents it is impossible" were their exact words. Unless you are a multinational you can't do it.

Comment

Now, isn’t this interesting…

Dean agreeing with me way back in 2009 and yet…

Dean altered his website last year (2010) to make it look as if he was operating a charity. By the way Dean, I have been keeping screenshots of everything that you post regarding this subject. Why? Figure it out for yourself. An admission on this scale is an interesting find. I don’t know how I missed this thread.

I started a charity myself. I paid for it, out-of-pocket, and run a registered tax-deductible charity in NZ. This is how I know. It cost me a lot of money and I dislike (intensely) people who portray themselves well-meaning, pure, and trustworthy when in fact their modus operandi is suspect because they flatly refuse to provide the basic information about their own so-called “charity.”

I’m still waiting Dean. I don’t disappear so easily:

Name of Charity
                Address of Charity
                Telephone number of Charity
                Officers of Charity
                Last edited by fatfishandchipman; 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfishandchipman View Post

I started a charity myself. I paid for it, out-of-pocket, and run a registered tax-deductible charity in NZ. This is how I know.

Name of Charity
                  Address of Charity
                  Telephone number of Charity
                  Officers of Charity
                  what's the name of your charity?
                  have you defeated them?
                  your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                    what's the name of your charity?

Eri,

If I told you that then you could find my real name by visiting the charities commission website:

http://www.register.charities.govt.nz/CharitiesRegister/Search.aspx

I’m reminded of the immortal words of exnzpat: “This is the internet and scoundrels abound.”

Basically, I don’t want you to know who I am. I’m not asking you for your money -- as much as my charity needs it. But this venue is not the proper place for it.

Comment

Where are you from? I mean Are you offering the survices ot Pakistan ?

Comment

New Zealand charities law is founded upon and follows the original English law, the Statute Of Elizabeth 1601. That statute established the classes of people who could be treated as legitimate charitable objects. Children, the halt, the lame, and the sick etc. Most Commonwealth countries still adhere to the original statute which has stood the test of time.

NZ charities law specifically requires that a charity expend its efforts within New Zealand.

Comment

I'm keen to start up a charity too once i'm more financially stable - it's my goals also to do charity work overseas for some more work life balance

I've done some volunteer work already in countries like Philippines and Bangladesh
                          Last edited by donna; 13-09-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

The charitable trust is an stable trust founded for freehanded purposes, and is a more specific term than charitable organization.

Comment

Working...
                            X