• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Question for the NZPIA

Why have you not been able to negotiate a better deal with Veda Advantage for the fee to do a credit check on a prospective tenant?

The fee recently went up by approximately 100% and we now pay more than twice what a Veda Advantage individual subscriber pays ($17.71 Vs $8.75). I thought it was an across the board increase from a company with an almost monopoly but now it seems it is only for NZPIA affiliates?

My main reason for belonging to the CPIA is the access to Veda Advantage that is included in the membership fee. If I can pay an individual Veda subscription ($320 per annum) to get lower individual query fees then I might well be in a position where this is cost effective and I will no longer be part of your organisation.

I have already asked this question earlier on this forum which is now accessed by the NZPIA website but no-one from the association that purports to represent me took the time to answer.
    Last edited by hawkeye; 02-04-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Additional info

Default Veda Advantage Usage Charges

Hawkeye, Veda did put up their charges but Veda also did distribute notification late last year indicating that they were going to do so.

I'm wondering why you firstly did not contact the Canterbury Association Office or approach one of their Canterbury Association Committee Members at a monthly meeting to ask the answer to this question rather that post it directly on an open forum. I'm sure if you asked and they did not know the answer then they would of found it for you.

The benefit of Veda Advantage is one negotiated by the NZPIF (not NZPIA) for the benefit of the Canterbury Association which you joined - in reality it is still extremely good value for low usage users because you do not need to pay the $320. If you are a high Veda user then it is up to you to do the math and take the best option.

Do not forget that Canterbury PIA provides its members more than simply access to Veda - your subscription to Canterbury PIA is still a more cost effective option for you - even if your are just paying it to get access to Veda.
    Last edited by alistair; 02-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alistair View Post
    Hawkeye, Veda did put up their charges but Veda also did distribute notification late last year indicating that they were going to do so.

I'm wondering why you firstly did not contact the Canterbury Association Office or approach one of their Canterbury Association Committee Members at a monthly meeting to ask the answer to this question rather that post it directly on an open forum. I'm sure if you asked and they did not know the answer then they would of found it for you.

The benefit of Veda Advantage is one negotiated by the NZPIF (not NZPIA) for the benefit of the Canterbury Association which you joined - in reality it is still extremely good value for low usage users because you do not need to pay the $320. If you are a high Veda user then it is up to you to do the math and take the best option.

Do not forget that Canterbury PIA provides its members more than simply access to Veda - your subscription to Canterbury PIA is still a more cost effective option for you - even if your are just paying it to get access to Veda.
    First of all my apologies for getting the name of the national body wrong.

The reason I asked the question here is that I know NZPIF do the negotiating with Veda Advantage. This is the Forum you are directed to from the NZPIF website and they have their own thread here.

I'd still like my question answered as to why the association rolled over for a 100% increase from Veda Advantage.

I did receive notification from Veda Advantage that there would be an increase but it wasn't clear that it was out of step with their other customers. I've never had any notification from the NZPIF or CPIA as to why this 100% increase was necessary. My guess is they have little leverage to use in negotiations.

I agree that for people with few properties it is still an advantage to have access to Veda Advantage but not as much of an advantage as it was. The rest of your points about the CPIA are valid. However for me, the only reason I belong to the CPIA is access to Veda Advantage and there will be others like me. I've already done the sums and I'll probably renew my CPIA membership as the savings will only be a few dollars for my level of usage and the other services I get from the association are worth this to me but it is a close run thing.

[QUOTEhawkeye]My guess is they have little leverage to use in negotiations.[/QUOTE]You're probably right. The Fed has always complained that not enough members use the credit check service. I'm not thrilled about the increase either but they still saved around $1.3m in joining fees...

Now Veda Advantage have ramped up its charges to $26.35 (excl GST?).

We get basically the same information, better formatted and presented but it has gone up from $8.85 less than a year ago.

My guess is the amount of consumer enquiries is down and they are having to charge more per query to keep their cash flow up.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    However for me, the only reason I belong to the CPIA is access to Veda Advantage and there will be others like me. I've already done the sums and I'll probably renew my CPIA membership as the savings will only be a few dollars for my level of usage and the other services I get from the association are worth this to me but it is a close run thing.
    I won't be renewing my subs next time, my membership was for Veda membership only. I've joined TINZ and it's membership has better services for me than Veda. Just need more LL's to join and upload things like tenants photos, 10 day notices, reference reports etc.

Membership is comparable with CPIA. Fees are also comparable for credit reports etc.

Hi everyone

Reading through some old threads on this site there seems to be alot of people who think the same way about the CPIA. Thats a real shame but it does look loke needs a good sorting out. There is an AGM next week and a new president will be elected so maybe that will do the job. There are two people standing. im told the woman is the establishment choice and the man is the one to vote for a change with a track record of fresh ideas. So why donít people go along and vote for a change. It must be better than complaining about it. Theres a speaker at the forum strait afterwards.

7.00am
    Wednesday 15th July

Girls High
    10 Matai St
    Riccarton

Still checking the rents at that time of the morning.

Besides, it's too cold.

Hi everyone

Oops, see the problem. Obviously the AGM should be 7.00 pm.

7.00 pm
    Wednesday 15th July

Girls High
    10 Matai St
    Riccarton

I thought the reason for the increase was pretty obvious.
    The company has been sold.
    The old deal was done with the old company Baycorp.
    The credit reporting service has now been sold and the new company now needs to bring in the dollars to service the millions spent on buying it.
    You could of course join in the lollie scramble by buying some of their shares on the stock exchange.
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of property managers and landlords who scimp and cring about spending a small sum of money.
    What sort of business do these people run.
    The PIA are better off without having tightwads like that as members.

Thread Information