Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water cylinder

Hello all

I've been looking at buying a two bedroom ex-state house. The hot water cylinder is 135 litres and the sticker says 1982.
    Can anyone give me any indication as to how long the average hot water cylinder lasts, and when I'm likely to need to replace it, and how much it would be to replace it with a similar sized cylinder.

Hot water cylinder

Hi Pants I replaced one in a 2 bed state house last year 135 litres (low pressure) which was about 35 years old , Franklins was the brand I think and $780 for the tank plus plumber to connect another $120 but check if it is mains or low pressure as the price may differ

Comment

forgot too add plumber took the old tank away as well

Comment

Hi Pants

In 2004, I bought two ex-state houses with 1960-aged HWC's. One cylinder lasted another two years after purchase (therefore making length of use about 40 years!), the other is still working fine as far as I'm aware (touch wood!!).

The one I replaced cost about $500 + new water fitting (had to be updated) + labour. Mind you that cost was a couple of years ago now.

You can -

a) say that you've had the cylinder checked by a plumber and it needs replacing, therefore reduce purchase price.
        b) don't do anything. It may be another 10, 20 years before it "goes" or it might "go" tomorrow. That's just maintenance though, for any property.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Be aware that high pressure cylinders are only expected to last for 10 years.
          Thats all I got from one I had in an apartment in Auckland.
          The have a sacrificial anode in them that needs replacing about then, which no-one ever does, so then the casing starts to corrode where the enamel is weak & before you know it your have a leaky cylinder.
          My one was 180 litre, which cost about $900 for the tank plus plumbers cost, probably a couple of hours. (I had a friendly plumber so no direct cost to me)

Low pressure cylinders seem to have a very much longer lifespan, as described above, and they are cheaper.
          Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

The big cost can be the collateral damage if the cylinder 'goes'.
            If it is sitting on a particleboard floor, the leak can destroy the floor within a few weeks if the leak continues unattended.
            Your tenants will not usually notice if the cylinder starts to leak, so this is quite likely.

Comment

Working...
            X