• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bongi: Congratulations for not involving a "property manager". They still charge on a commission basis, so are still incentivised to do as little as possible - and most of them do exactly that. It's your property, so you have to do the work, and you have to meet the person who is going to live in your property. That is worth far more than any credit check.

Credit checks can be worth their weight in gold. I'm not sure where you live but if you become a member of a local PIA, you automatically become a member of Veda advantage at no extra cost. You can then do your own searches for very little cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Credit checks can be worth their weight in gold. I'm not sure where you live but if you become a member of a local PIA, you automatically become a member of Veda advantage at no extra cost. You can then do your own searches for very little cost.
    Veda have recently ramped up the cost for PIA members but it is still good value.
    I found it really difficult getting off the free annual rate and onto the subscription rate to return our per check fee back down to the old rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithw View Post
    make sure you get their cell phone numbers and email addresses.

put their email address into a google search, it can turn up their facebook/ bebo pages from which you can get an idea of their character & associates.
    Sometimes it will also turn up other things like their questions in trademe auctions, newspaper or web articles etc
    It can be very interesting
    I had this problem last year.
    Someone put some nasty comments about me onto Sella.
    I did not know who the person was and what they were on about.
    The only way I could get rid of it was to re register with a slightly different business name. Then they did it again. Goodness some people have a burning desire to wreck their toys. I was really annoyed with Sella permitting this sort of flaming without at least making the poster come out from under the blankets.
    So I did a search of all sorts of variables of the email address. I eventually found the slob. Thank goodness they kept her under the blanket. She lives with stinking dogs in her house. She did not like me telling the owner about the dogs and the state of the property. Too bad for me they are related so the only answer was to get rid of me. I drove past the house last week. What a tip site it has become.

I've heard that picking tenants from trademe can be great, as you can check out their profile etc before you even reply to them. Check out what they buy and sell... Can tell quite a bit from what people move. I haven't had experience here yet, but plan too. I have a friend that only ever takes tenants from trademe and has had good success in screening

Quote Originally Posted by duck View Post
    I've heard that picking tenants from trademe can be great, as you can check out their profile etc before you even reply to them. Check out what they buy and sell... Can tell quite a bit from what people move. I haven't had experience here yet, but plan too. I have a friend that only ever takes tenants from trademe and has had good success in screening
    I do not do a lot of trademe adverts because of the hiddeous ripoff cost.
    I only do it for up market properties that we are struggling to find a good tenant for.
    I find that I always get lots of low life applicants. Sure I do get genuine ones also but a lot of the people coming from this source are the ones that know property managers will check them out. There are heaps of people that do not want property managers to check them out with credit checks. Simply owning a computer does not make a person good.

Quote Originally Posted by duck View Post
    You ARE kidding, right? Yes, looking at their 'for sale' items is one vaguely possible way to get an insight into them. (Let's see, I've sold stuff on behalf of others who didn't have a Trade Me account, I've sold 'junk' left behind by tenants who did a runner. Not sure what that says about me?! Actually, maybe if I did a TradeMe check on the tenant who did the runner, maybe I wouldn't have been in a position where I needed to sell their junk.)

Seriously, you need to do some more substantial checking then on TradeMe. They may be selling quality, upmarket stuff and have great feedback - but does it mean they will pay their rent on time? Or maybe they're selling stuff they ripped off their last landlord.....

Do a search on 'credit check' in the tenancy forum. THere have been lots of discussion about this in the past :-)
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Veda have recently ramped up the cost for PIA members but it is still good value.
    I found it really difficult getting off the free annual rate and onto the subscription rate to return our per check fee back down to the old rate.

Hi Glenn,

What is the level of individual subscription per annum you pay to get the old cheaper checking rates? I ask as the main reason I belong to the CPIA is to use Veda Advantage.

I think it was $290 per year. The difference for me was about $500 per month so the annual fee is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I do not do a lot of trademe adverts because of the hiddeous ripoff cost.
    I only do it for up market properties that we are struggling to find a good tenant for.
    I find that I always get lots of low life applicants. Sure I do get genuine ones also but a lot of the people coming from this source are the ones that know property managers will check them out. There are heaps of people that do not want property managers to check them out with credit checks. Simply owning a computer does not make a person good.
    Glenn, Try www.homeads.co.nz
    They advertise for trademe for free for you and you receive all corrospondence from prospective tenants. Homeads make their money from charging the tenant 1 weeks rent if they take your property.

Thread Information