• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tokoroa Sawmill?

Hi Guys

Tokoroa welcomes prospect of 'monster' sawmill

21.10.2004 - 1.00pm
    Battling timber town Tokoroa would welcome the new "world scale" sawmill wood processor Carter Holt Harvey yesterday said it was planning.

Carter Holt said it was considering building a mill capable of processing 800,000 tonnes of logs a year and costing between $100 million and $150 million at either Marsden Point or at its Kinleith pulp and paper mill 7km south of Tokoroa.

South Waikato Mayor Neil Sinclair today said it would be great to have New Zealand's biggest mill near Tokoroa.

"This is good news for Tokoroa. We need jobs and we hope this will provide them. We obviously have the infrastructure in Tokoroa in terms of good rail links through to ports and centrality for other transportation loads."

Mr Sinclair said the council had not had any talks with Carter Holt Harvey yet, but it was keen to do what it could.

Kinleith union site delegate committee chairman Graham Holmes said the sawmill would be a real boost to Tokoroa.

"CHH have been in the business of closing things down here; it would be nice to see them in the business of expanding their business here."

He said choosing to have the mill at Kinleith would have advantages because it would be in the middle of the Kinleith forest and had a rail head.

- NZPA
    News Source
    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

I hope.

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

What's that I hear? Speculators stampeding towards Tokoroa?

Gerrard

Comment

Sorry Muppet beat you all to it. He already owns 1/2 the town. Must have known about the new sawmill before everyone

Comment

I've been browing the net looking at houses all over, the other day searched Tokoroa and there are heaps of houses for the sale there.

Well I missed the boat at Marton, was looking there last year, and thought "who would want to live there" now they are building new meat works and all the cheap houses have gone. Maybe Tokoroa would be a good place. But they look like they haven't definately decided on Tokoroa yet - have they?

Cheers, QB
        If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.

Comment

Hi QB

No, CHH have not made up their mind yet. I would like to see Tokoroa get the mill BUT CHH is only a small part of International Paper which is a very large international company. They will say where the new mill will go.

As regards houses for sale in Tokoroa, there were about 25 more last year before the mad scramble to buy there. There were also more cheaper houses as well than there is now.

Regards
          "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Hi Muppet

Do you have any problems getting tenants there? What are they like? I assume many are on benefits. What's the good and bad side of town?

Cheers, QB
            If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.

Comment

Working...
            X