• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Apia

The article on Sunday is something that people in APIA did not already know, how long does this go on for????

Many, many people get confused with the difference between Governance and Management.

The Board is there to Govern (give direction) to the Association.
    The Management is there to implement the directions of the Board.

From what I can see, there are business people sitting on the Board, providing business services (example given Tony Steindle as both a Board member and his company providing legal services), this is a conflict of interest.

The Board members should either

a. Be unable to provide business services to the Board
    b. Resign from the Board.

Quite simple really.

Disclaimer : I am not nor have ever been a member of the APIA, nor do I have any vested business interests with Board members or their competitors.
    Patience is a virtue.

I've always been baffled by APIA's decision to become more of a "business entity" with the expos and the "$399 to attend" seminars. I think that enough money for tea and bikkies, room hire and maybe a Xmas do is ambitious enough for a non-profit group.

Kerry

How did you manage that idea??
    It took you maybe 2 days to come up with a solution to a problem that has existed for many years and many high power board members have not been able to solve.

If sitting outside of the board people can clearly see the issues. Isn't it time the board opened there eyes up?

Only fix I can see is a Greenfield's ( you like that KC?) approach. Wipe the slate , clear the deadwood and start from scratch.

Vote Ashley, Barry, RHF and now Kerry.

Many members knew who years about the conflict of interests but some higher up members tended to ignore the issue.

But Whitt the problem was obvious to everybody. Until the problems change, retire or die nothing will change.

All it requires is people without axes to grind to run it. That's why it took off under Ashley.

Hey Dean... yes but took off where? I believe Ashley's contract gave him a share of revenue, which is a ridiculous premise for someone heading a non-profit group.

Took off in terms of being a useful organisation with a growing membership and expanding it's services so it was worth belonging to.

Who cares whether they are commercial or non for profit??
    What matters is are they providing a good service to their members.

Under Ashley they did because he broke the "we must protect our own businesses even to the detriment of our own members" attitude. And doing that is ultimately what got him removed, again to the detriment of members.

BTW I don't think Tony S. is in that category, he just happens to be the only man on the ground. It is others who need a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by drelly View Post
    Hey Dean... yes but took off where? I believe Ashley's contract gave him a share of revenue, which is a ridiculous premise for someone heading a non-profit group.
    That is a different issue I believe.
    Somewhere along the line the decision was made to outsource workload and employ a CEO. To cover these wages a profit share was arranged.

Some members agreed and others did not. The fact still remains as Dean mentions under the Ashley helm things did appear to run smoother. And if having a independant non Biz associated CEO means APIA moves forward then I am all for it.

Things need sorting out now!!

Quote Originally Posted by annaspanna View Post
    Where theres smoke theres fire.
    Should make for some interesting weekend reading.
    i notice the new " Q & A section" of their website isn't working at presant.... how ironic.
    Responding to the comment about the APIA Q&A section, Anna, this feature is functioning as it should and there has never been a problem with it since the feature has been added. Your fellow members have found this feature helpful. You are invited to view the Q&As posted so far on http://www.apia.org.nz/blog-browse-c...c-94bcb17c0ed8

We have been receiving positive responses for this new feature on our website and members continue to submit questions through to us. Should you have any queries regarding your investments please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Kind Regards

Thread Information