• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default anyone get this email re APIA?

interesting.....

Dear

We believe this weekend’s Herald on Sunday is running an article on the Auckland Property Investors’ Association.

Early this year the Board of APIA had a concerned member Barry Bridgman write to ask us about some rumours in the market about APIA. Sue Tierney and Tony Steindle met with Barry to discuss those concerns. Now, the same false accusations have been raised with the media. We would rather be the ones to tell you about what the accusations are, rather than you finding out by reading a Sunday newspaper.

1.There has been speculation that APIA is financially distressed and does not have up-to-date financial records. APIA is in a sound financial position, but like many of its members has had a fall in income with today’s economic climate, and has successfully cut costs;
    2.Rumours are also about that some board members are there only to benefit themselves financially. Each board member gives his/her time free of charge and on average each spends between 50 and 150 hours a year on APIA matters. Some board members have legitimate business dealing with APIA and charge only the time incurred by their staff. In addition, they do not vote on payments to their businesses.

There are other false allegations and we have gone to great lengths to explain to the media where they are false and have backed our responses with facts, figures and details.

Sue Tierney and Tony Steindle are willing to meet face to face with any member of APIA should they have any concerns. In addition, the board has resolved to ensure that we update members about our activities on a monthly basis.

Recent activities include:
    1.Negotiating with two new sponsors of APIA;
    2.A member discount at Noel Leeming and Bond & Bond;
    3.An excellent new website;
    4.A monthly newsletter.

There is a lot more to come including Conference 2009 - Buck the Trend. As a board we want to focus on the way ahead and provide members with tangible and industry-focused benefits.

Please feel free to call either Sue on 09 914 7555 or Tony on 09 361 5563.

Kind Regards,
    The APIA Board

Barry is just one one in a long string of people with concerns.

Apparently they are all entirely wrong and APIA is without fault :-)

Where theres smoke theres fire.
    Should make for some interesting weekend reading.
    i notice the new " Q & A section" of their website isn't working at presant.... how ironic.

I always knew that Frank Bananarama was a dodgy geezer. Oh hang on, that's Fiji. This is Samoa we're talking about.

Just received it -and I'm not even a member
    Jo Birch
    Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
    +61 450 148 678

A couple of thought........

1) Why not simply answer the question in the email as to how up to date the financial records are.

2) Board members are there only to benefit themselves financially. Financial benefits don’t only come in terms of direct fees to APIA.

For example in a recent email from APIA the Q&A section was introduces. I asked the following question: “Would you please tell me how one becomes “one of the best person possible” to respond to these questions?

And that’s the responds. “It simply means that when I get a question that is related to say mortgage breaking or financing a buy etc etc then I go to the board members and other long term apia members who have been in the property game for a long time and ask them to recommend someone to whom I should forward the question onto. In certain circumstances I may have to forward questions onto a few people just to get a balanced answer and all the answers will be posted. Several members have already put their hands up with their areas of expertise and given me some of their credentials and volunteered to answer questions."

Is this a best process, in the best interest of ALL member and which would benefit ALL members equally?

The Traders – now PropertyPlus may be not that much different in terms of self interest. However, they run it as a business for profit.
    Last edited by fpl; 20-02-2009 at 08:24 PM.

History has shown to get recommended by APIA you need to be a board member or have a strong affiliation with one.

Does it not seem unusual to readers here the questions being raised are from the only independant board member at APIA?

Maybe there is some truth to the rumours and the APIA email may just be an attempt to soften the blow about to be delivered in Sundays Paper?

Would a limited time on the board be a good idea? EG 1 or two terms? Wouldn't get the same direction (and conflict of interest) for >10 years. Surely experienced and professional members can be found within APIA.

Would a limited time on the board be a good idea? EG 1 or two terms?
    Certainly a option worth looking at if things are not sorted.

I had hoped much of these issues would have been fixed following the last APIA breakdown/ Shake up. Apparently issues still exist.

If any one has concearns please send your comments to board members. If members stay silent then they will never get true feedback how people feel.

Probably a matter of finding enough people interested if you are going to change the board every couple of years.

I was on the Waikato committee for two years a few years back, that was enough for me but some of them have been there for 20 or more years I understand. Still I guess if you want to make it your life fair enough. Not for me, infact I am not even a member right now, didnt join last year again, it is almost time again this year, may go back not sure will have to think about it.

Probably will stay out another year at least I hardly ever go to the meetings anyway. and never use their discount cards, should I know the one time my husband tried (at placemakers) they wouldn't let him. Still now we do alot of our own maintenance it may be worth joining again. will have to look into it I think if you join now it takes you through till next May when it is due again anyway.

Thread Information