Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish economy 'will bounce back and lead Europe within a decade'

Good news for once!!!

Irish economists may be wringing their hands in despair but a leading US expert believes the Republic's economy will bounce back and "lead Europe within a decade".

Dr Robert E Kennedy thinks the Irish Republic will outperform its European rivals once again within the space of 10 years.

He predicted that the country will enjoy growth rates of around 3pc and he would put "big money" on Ireland doing better than larger countries like Germany and France.

The former adviser to the US government and head of business administration at the University of Michigan makes his optimistic predictions in a new book on outsourcing in the global economy.

He does, however, warn that the country must accept that assembly-line manufacturing will leave the country for eastern Europe and other labour markets.

This will happen because the Republic has very high labour costs compared to central and eastern Europe.

He calculated that the average wage if you divide GDP by population in Ireland is around €37,000, while in Poland it is just €8,190.

"So, in terms of low-skilled jobs involving physically assembling computer parts, Ireland can't compete," he said.

"However, where Ireland has an edge is in its highly skilled, educated workforce. Dell, for instance, is keeping most of its service and administrative base in Ireland."

Source...

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

At the moment it is difficult to see the light. Unemployment at8% and projected to get to 12 -15% by the end of the year. Banks not lending, our leading bank share price was €24.00 now just 68c. A government that is not acting fast enough and just sticking their finger in the dyke.
    My smallest property I have, the tenant wanted to buy in winter 2007 I said no. I had the property valued 2 weeks ago and it has dropped €2000 (NZ$4800) a EVERY WEEK since then if I sell now. Everybody is to scared to get their property valued at the moment including the banks.
    Last week our second largest bank had projected losses in property estimated at €3.5 billion and then on Friday readjusted that figure to €6 billion. Its share price fell just 1.3% on this news.

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Comment

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
      Yes

We'd all better hope it is sunshine though and not the train coming the other way!

Comment

Working...
      X