On sell before settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On sell before settlement

I have purchased a property & am looking at on selling it on to my brother on the same day as I settle with my vendor, how is this done in a legal view? does the money go from my brother to my lawyer then on to my vendor lawyer? Any feedback would be appreciated

Your lawyer will sort it, it's called a double settlement.
    Just FYI if your brother is getting finance no bank in the country will finance double settlements at the moment. If the vendors name is not on the title, they will decline finance. So you may have to settle it yourself then sell it to your brother the following week

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
      Your lawyer will sort it, it's called a double settlement.
      Just FYI if your brother is getting finance no bank in the country will finance double settlements at the moment. If the vendors name is not on the title, they will decline finance. So you may have to settle it yourself then sell it to your brother the following week
      What makes you say that? I settled a property that was bought as a double settlement (via a property finder) on 30 Jan. Finance was from BNZ - no problem at all.

Comment

Maybe non broker banks are different or you got approved prior to the change. It's currently a big problem. Non broker banks might be more lenient. If BNZ will do it then great.
        It has only recently changed so check with this one and definitely use BNZ again.

Comment

Anyway I can on sell it to him with out actually getting the finance & settling myself?

Comment

Yes absolutely, just make sure he can settle. It's common, no problem.

Comment

As long as you are certain he can, and will, settle.
              'Never let the wild bastards grind you down'. Winston Churchill.

Comment

Maybe non broker banks are different or you got approved prior to the change. It's currently a big problem. Non broker banks might be more lenient. If BNZ will do it then great.
                It has only recently changed so check with this one and definitely use BNZ again.
                Thanks for that - good to know. Finance was approved in Dec, so I guess this was before the change.

Pward, this is common but you need to be careful you don't end up having to settle if your brother can't get finance.

Comment

Onsold one where NZ home loans were the funder for the end purchaser ( Sept 2008 )
                  Why dont you just assign the contract and save all the extra legal cost involved in double settlement
                  Last edited by SuperDad; 10-02-2009, 06:07 AM. Reason: Removed wayward smiley

Comment

thanks for that! When he applies for the pre approval would he submitt both sale & purchase agreements to the bank or just the one between him & myself?

Comment

What do you mean by assign the contract Motivated?

Comment

If you assign there is no need to have a second contract--your brother takes over your contract--you may need a document between you and your brother recording that he is taking over your contract-- as the bank may want to see evidence that you have assigned the contract

Comment

He's only buying it from you so he only uses his S&P. Good point, assigning the property is easier.

Comment

What makes you claim that? How many times have you seen a decline letter from a lender with the reason given "double settlement"?

If the deal is presented truthfully there should be no problem at all. (Assuming everything else stack up)

Comment

I've done a couple of double settlements since December and I haven't had any problems with the banks.

Comment

Working...
                              X