• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Has anyone retrofitted double glazing in Auckland, does it really make a big difference.
    We have a quote from auckland double glazing ltd, anyone used them?

Thanks

We have started to look at renovating our house in Vienna. We have started looking at the upstairs first and priced some sky light windows. The price was a bit of a shock: €1550 for a standard sized window.....At that price we get treble glazing, electric external roller shutter( I guess that's what you would call it in English) and an electrically operated internal blind. While we were looking we realised that double glazing is not common any more in Austria: all modern windows are treble glazed. Our old house was built in 1975 with double glazing......looks like as we renovate we will be going to Treble glazing.

So for NZ I guess double glazing should be the minimum in the south and the standard in the north.
    Last edited by Austrokiwi; 11-10-2010 at 05:12 AM.
    The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

There would be little point putting treble glazing in a NZ home. Even the highest grade insulated walls and ceiling would let more heat through than a t-glazed window.
    The temp in NZ cities rarely falls below zero, so probably don't need it anyhow. I'm guessing Austria will hit -25C ish in winter?

Good point about the walls vs. triple glazing, but as has been said several times in this thread already: Multi-glazing is not about heating alone. It's about maintaining a comfortable temperature inside, summer and winter. It also helps keeping the house cool in summer. And the sound insulation effect is also a major benefit.

I wonder why anyone would think proper insulation is not needed unless the outside temperature drops below zero? It's an argument that is surprisingly often heard.
    As soon as the outside temperature drops or rises outside a comfortable room temperature range then you need either active heating/cooling or proper insulation, otherwise your inside room temperature is going to be uncomfortable fairly quickly. There is just no way around that fact.
    However it's my impression that what people consider 'comfortable' in NZ can often mean something like 10 degrees inside and crying and mouldy walls/windows...
    High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Rolf I agree - double glazing is certainly necessary in NZ. My point was really that better insulation elsewhere maybe a better investment than triple glazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin View Post
    Rolf I agree - double glazing is certainly necessary in NZ. My point was really that better insulation elsewhere maybe a better investment than triple glazing.

I tend to agree the build quality ( or may be building technology) in NZ is such that triple glazing would likely be of a higher insulation rating than the walls of the house. However if the house does have thick well insulated walls I think triple glazing in southern parts of NZ would be worth while.

I have to admit I was shocked at the price for the sky light windows......we need a minimum of four ( ideal would be 6) the roof is a classic V shape and the rooms ( with a sloping ceiling) under it only have windows at one end so they really need more light. so just going with the mininum number we are looking at €6000.00. That said the windows are,each, a single unit and simply bolt on to the existing roof beams, so installation is quick and easy.
    The mission of any business enterprise should include the aim to develop economic conditions rather than simply react to them.

Quote Originally Posted by north shore View Post
    Has anyone retrofitted double glazing in Auckland, does it really make a big difference.
    We have a quote from auckland double glazing ltd, anyone used them?

Thanks
    We used them and they were very good. Kevin and his boys know their stuff and did a fabulous job for us.
    Jo Birch
    Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
    +61 450 148 678

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin View Post
    The temp in NZ cities rarely falls below zero
    Says the North Islander.

It was below zero here in ChCh last night, in mid-spring. Brrrrrrr.
    Last edited by One; 12-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Got double glazing units going into my apartments right now. And I tell you what, they are very quiet. Quite a lot of road noise where I am but if you close the doors, it all goes away. you can just faintly hear noise coming in through the roof - no ceilings in yet!

Quote Originally Posted by zedrex View Post
    I've just been scanning through the post's on this topic and can't help but comment - apologies if I appear to be shooting from the hip!

Reading the posts, it would appear that the majority passing comment have "no experience" of double glazing and are just posting "knee jerk" reactions.

I'll explain: DG massively reduces the amount of moisture in a home, for reasons mentioned by others, namely that a home with DG is warmer and therefore drier, you WILL NOT see a house with DG with condensation on the inside - no more black mould - we've all seen that before.
    I agree that modern homes need double glazing for energy efficiency - but you are showing you sell double glazing with this comment above. Just because you don't see condensation on a window does not mean the house is dry or drier. It just means the temperature of the internal pane of glass has not reached a temperature where "dew point" is reached. It depends on the humidity of the internal air, the outside temperature, and the temperature of the glass that the air touches whether you get moisture on the glass.

I have seen many mouldy, damp, double glazed homes - the inside air is humid due to lack of ventilation and from the moisture that is produced by the people in it. Even if the home owner is not alerted to the humidity due to the lack of condensation on the windows - the humidity is still there causing dust mites and mould.

If people want to keep dust mites away they need to keep the humidity down through ventilation.

In climates such as Canada and Alaska, where they use insulation that is very highly rated, and double or triple glazing, they use several different methods of ventilation. They understand when you seal a house up, you also have to put in fresh air. I don't "get" why building professionals in this country don't understand this - or at least try to understand.

So I would say - double glazing, good heating, good insulation and good ventilation makes a healthy, happy, home!

Thread Information