Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build a deck & cover in later on

Hi all

I want to build a low deck (less than 1 metre high) at the back of my house and join it to the garage. So I understand that I don't need a building consent. Now my partner said he wants to create another lounge on the deck area in a couple of years so now everything changes.

I went to the local Council and they said that I need to show them what I am proposing to do later on so that they know how deep the piles should be etc. I didn't really want to go to all the expense of getting someone to draw up plans (I've heard they can be very expensive) and I haven't even really thought about what I eventually want, except that I want it closed in and made into a dining room and lounge.

So now instead of posts I apparently need piles! Which are apparantly twice the price. And then someone said you need different concrete if you're building an enclosed structure, so everything is now really getting complicated and all I want is a DECK! (at the moment).

I still want to avoid (if possible) getting a Draughtsmen/Architect, so has anyone ever drawn up plans themselves. Where could I get information about piles, concrete etc. Would it be BRANZ? Is it possible/feasible doing it yourself. And how much would a Draughtsmen or Architect be likey to charge me. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers, QB
    If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.

You will need to build the deck to meet all the required standards
    to get a building consent. You may have problems when you come
    to sell the house later, as the lim will show that the construction
    does not have consent and you will have to convince any prospective
    buyers that it has been built correctly.
    You need to make sure it is not over any drainage. Private drainage
    can be re-routed but public drainge is very costly to build over.

How high is the step down from the house ? Is the ground level ?
    Have you thought of building a paved terrace at ground level instead
    with a landing & steps down from the doorway.
    That way no plans are required, (unless you need a retaining wall)
    and no consent is required.

If you are serious about enclosing it afterwards you really need to get
    a draughtsman involved to draw up the plans.
    It shouldn't cost more than $700 for deck plans
    or maybe $1500- $2500 for the full monty depending on the
    complexity.

cheers
    Casacamo

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that info. There is a drain and a tap that will need to be moved. The dreaded plumber (they charge an arm and a leg). The site is gently sloping, with the highest level only a metre and the lowest sitting on the ground.

When we were just going to have the deck, we were going to put a hole in the deck with a trap-door so we could get to the drain if needed, but now that my partner wants to enclose the deck at a later stage we will have to move it.

I thought this was going to be a really simple exercise. Dig some holes and up the deck goes. Now the male of the household wants to create silly obstacles! I've been waiting for this deck for soooo long.

Am I correct that a Draughtsman draws designs that you ask him to (i.e. you know what you want) and an Architect creates a design based on yours and his ideas? Who would be cheaper.

Cheers, QB
      If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming.

Comment

A competent draughtsman would be able to draw up plans for a deck
        and also design an extension in keeping with the style and construction
        of the original house. He/She should be aware of all the current regulations and construction techniques. An architect would only be
        much more expensive and would only be need if you were creating
        the most impressive deck in wellington. They would useful if you
        were looking to redesign your house to match the new deck.
        Cost-wise they normally charge a percentage based on construction cost.
        ie 4-10% of the cost of the deck. depending on wheteher you want them
        to mange the whole construction , arrange builders etc.
        Whereas a draughtsman normally charges a fixed fee or at hourly rates,
        and hands it over to a builder to mange the construction.

ps I am a arcjitectural designer/draughtsman.

casacamo

Comment

Originally posted by casacamo
          An architect would only be
          much more expensive and would only be need if you were creating
          the most impressive deck in wellington.

ps I am a arcjitectural designer/draughtsman.

casacamo
          Hi Casacamo

Thanks for all that info. That bit made me chuckle. Also living in Wellington, especially on the side of a hill you can probably only sit on your deck for about 1 day a year because you'd get blown off.

So to give me an idea of what price I'd be looking at, what is a draughtsmans hourly rate, and how long would it take to draw (if he draws very fast- LOL)

Cheers, BW

Comment

I've found most draftsmen worth their salt will charge you $50 or more per hour. Although I dont know whether or not you would need one yet ...

So, you're building the deck, which you may want to turn into a lounge later on. All the work will be open? So no need for an inspection, and no need to trouble yourself with the council. Don't worry about it affecting your LIM/valuation etc, council dont really care about decks too much anyway, esp. and as it's under 1m high If it becomes an issue at any stage, you can always get an 'as built' type inspection, or a minor consent, but I really dont think this will affect your value, when it's just a deck.

It would definitely be money well spent to get a draftsman to professionally draw up plans for the lounge, but for now I'd recommend you merely find out the maximum requirements for your pilings to hold the weight, and simply build a 'super-deck!'. Keep a record of what was used etc, as you will need to submit that when you get your consent for the lounge. There's nothing wrong with over-doing it, it will just make any future work that much easier.

There are plenty of ways and means to reduce/eliminate the need for a draftsman, but if you're not familiar with the council, and how things work/requirements etc etc, It may well be more convenient to just get them to do it. I prepare any plans I do myself, and look up the regulations myself too, but that's not for everyone, and peace of mind is good too.
            Also dealing with council building inspectors is a pain, as I find most of them are poorly educated, and are likely to jump to the conclusion that you're building a skyscraping observation tower when all you want is a simple deck! Going armed with something written by someone who is familiar with the ins and outs can save a lot of time in spelling things out to them.
            For your reference, the NZ building code can be found here
            Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for that Spa Bath

I've already made contact with the Council and the Building Inspector that I talked to is a female. I greased her up no end. She was very nice and seems to be very on to it. Dealt with her previously when she did the consents for my garage.

I think I will take your advice and not get a permit. What is a minor consent and a "as built" type inspection. I've never heard of those before. I'm intending to build the deck with 125 x 125 piles and at least 600mm deep, and just make it really strong. I spoke to a builder friend and he said to take pictures of your piles when you dig the holes as evidence. My sister has a deck at ground level which didn't need a permit but when she wanted to build a conservatory over the top of it, the Council said she needed an engineers report because they didn't know how deep the posts were, and also something to do with the wind factor.

I feel better now, I'm not intending to sell the house any time in the near future and the whole structure if enclosed will be open plan. We are building it ourselves, but will probably have input and help from builder friends when we need it. (They owe us for all the floorsanding work we do at good prices for them!)

Cheers, QB

Comment

Hi.

How did it go. Did you enclose your deck in the end?

We are thinking of doing a similar thing. We live in Kingston, Wellington and want a deck but it needs to be enclosed or semi enclosed because of the strong winds.

We want a deck with glass (or similar) walls on two sides and a roof to hold in the heat. The 3rd side would be the exterior wall of the house and the 4th side could probably just be open.

Comment

if deck is under 1.5m high no consent is required

if roof is built as a veranda under 20m2 then no consent if you keep one side open you are not enclosing it so all good and still no consent required. All work has to comply with the building code.

Decks are assumed to have higher loads so when it is enclosed this reduces requirements so should make compliance later easier. S112 doesnt require the existing deck to be assessed but the new building work could be independent of the deck or at least the deck 'fit for its (new) purpose'.

Comment

Working...
                  X