• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Poll: Would you prefer one national PIA that had a one-price-for-all subscription fee, or do you prefer th

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1 National PIA - 1 National Fee

Hi All

Following on from an idea posted by donnak in another thread, I thought this might be worth breaking out into a separate post and putting a poll on it!

The idea was floated of one national fee/membership, which is managed so you still only receive one magazine but you can then attend any PIA meeting anywhere in the county without having to pay additional visitor fees etc. It means people with properties in multiple regions could belong to their "local" PIA's in those areas without duplication of fees.

So the question is...

Would you prefer one national PIA that had a one-price-for-all subscription fee, or do you prefer the current individual satellite system?

Regan

And I can present the results to the NZPIF for feedback.

Donna

Another suggestion...

The lowest joining fee should be for an individual OR a couple.

Regan

EDIT: I just visited the Tauranga PIA website and their membership "does" cater for couples under the single fee - well done! The Auckland PIA charges an extra $100 for couples (from info on the web site).

Hi Regan,

EDIT: I just visited the Tauranga PIA website and their membership "does" cater for couples under the single fee - well done!
    We aim to please

Regards,
    Marcus.

The idea was floated of one national fee/membership, which is managed so you still only receive one magazine but you can then attend any PIA meeting anywhere in the county without having to pay additional visitor fees etc. It means people with properties in multiple regions could belong to their "local" PIA's in those areas without duplication of fees.
    In theory, not a bad idea. There are however additional costs associated with having people come in from other districts, i.e. tea, coffee etc. The venue we use in Tauranga charges for each coffee and cuppa we pour. Believe me, these add up. Admittedly not high enough to justify charging a full door charge. Perhaps some commonly agreed discount between associations could be struck to cover these.

There would also need to be a proven form of identification carried so that people off the street cannot try and pass off as NZPIF members.

Regards,
    Marcus.

I reckon more people would join too - as there would be one magazine for the nation instead of each PIA having their own - (some coming out only quarterly). With the consolidation of fees (and there would be a considerable amount of $$ - could be as high as 1,050,000. (7000 members x 150 fee).

With 163,000 property investors in NZ - getting 10% on board would provide 2,445,000. Imagine the buying power that would bring with business busting a gut to offer discounts + advertise in the monthly magazine.

Can't see this happening though for these reasons:

1. Perceived loss of regional control - esp. of the finances would not be tolerated by the local committees

2. The two property investor magazines would have another mag to compete with for advertising $$

3. Property Investor clubs/assoc. currently not part of NZPIF would more than likely remain independent so that would put a strain on the consoldated model of a national association

4. Where the HQ was based would also be a point of contention given the regional competitiveness

In summary we're more likely to see NZ become a single currency and a national association with a single fee etc.

A great thread though -

Cheers,

Donna

:P

I don't think it would need to be a major shift in the whole way it currently works, just a change to the way memberships work.

When you sign up to a PIA your details get forwarded on to one central subscription processing "person" who could be located anywhere.

On the application form the new member ticks their "home" region so it identifies and assigns them to their local property association first and foremost.

They are then issued with a national membership card which has "their home region" also printed on it which identifies them as a local or visitor from another region when presented on entry at meetings etc. If there are additional costs to be met when visiting outside regions then fair enough, present your card and if you're an outsider then you pay for your biscuit and cup of tea.

1. Perceived loss of regional control - esp. of the finances would not be tolerated by the local committees
    Funds could/would still be allocated back to the local committees when a member signs up or renews their membership (identified by their home region) so they wouldn't really loose control of the finances.

2. The two property investor magazines would have another mag to compete with for advertising $$
    A central newsletter including content from all PIA's would be great, especially for members with properties in more than one region.

How does that sound from someone who hasn't actually purchased an IP yet! Hey I'm working on it...

Regan

Re Donna's post:
    The NZPIF already has its own magazine.
    It is called the NZ PROPERTY MAGAZINE. It is through this magazine that NZPIF disseminates information to its members. That is why most PIAs get it (plus it is a good read).
    You can find out more here http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/books/p...roducts_id=185

Or better still just click on the logo above! :P

Cheers,

Donna

Well I have just come back from the conference and as usual we got another slagging for not following the national line and buying the same magazine as the majority.
    I love all the attention it gives me.
    The funny thing is, when these less than complimentary comments were being made about not all associations not being able to agree on the one magazine,
    I had a great thought.

I thought goodness if they want everyone to have the same magazine the NZPIF should increase their fees again and send out a magazine to everyone.

After all here were Otago members suggesting that there was perhaps something wrong with those who choose to meet the majority of their members choice when in fact they do not get everyone of their members to buy the magazine of their leaders choice.
    In otago and Canterbury getting the magazine is an optional extra.
    Presumably those members who do not subscribe to someone elses choice then go out to a book store and buy a magazine of their own choice.
    By making the magazine optional Otago is able to have the cheapest fees in the country. Shame on you Otago. You should realise that this is not the way to keep everyone informed about the market.
    Your members are just like our members and for their own good need to have a national magazine.
    If everyone in Otago subscribed (all 601 members) then the NZ property magazine would have a far greater distribution.
    Glenn

PS
    In Nelson
    We actually subscribe to no less than three magazines for our members as well as producing our own popular local newsletter.

Thread Information