Recladding costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recladding costs

Does anyone have an idea of the costs for reclading a 1970s house. The front half is summit stone which is fine but the rest is glued on fake brick which is falling of in places.
    The floor area is 130m2

Mike
    www.focuspropertymanagement.co.nz
    Property Management Tauranga & Bay of Plenty

I had a quote to do an early 1930's - 1950's house probably around 170 - 200sqm. This involved removing the old cladding (asbestos) and disposing of it and making good any basic framing and then fixing linear boards or weather boards. Quote was for around $60,000 but this didn't take into account if there was any major rot in the walls or floors. This also didn't include replacing windows, guttering or barge boards etc.
    Nigel Turner

Comment

Originally posted by Baywatcher View Post
      Does anyone have an idea of the costs for reclading a 1970s house. The front half is summit stone which is fine but the rest is glued on fake brick which is falling of in places.
      The floor area is 130m2

Mike
      Major job, and noone would have an idea without looking at it, and it depends what you are replacing it with. You may need to also replace windows and doors depending on condition.

Comment

There's a lot of stuff to consider besides the material and cost of the cladding replacement - flashings, soffits, gutters, insulation, wiring, plumbing, scaffolding, windows/doors, repainting etc. Not a job for the faint-hearted. Do you sums to make sure it's going to be worthwhile.

This was a turn of the century house divided into 3 flats, the front and sides had weatherboard, but the rear had ghastly corrugated iron which I had replaced. End result was great, the back of the house looks amazing!

Comment

Thanks for the replys, if the whole house was summit stone i would have bought it yesterday but with too many unknowns I shall look for the next deal.
          www.focuspropertymanagement.co.nz
          Property Management Tauranga & Bay of Plenty

Comment

Much Cheaper Alternative

We had our church manse ( 5 bedroom) in Takanini over-clad for under $15,000. You can see photos on the transformationsetc website
            I was on the committee looking at alternatives:everything else seems really expensive and I didn't even want to guess at council costs: the existing cladding was water tight ( no leaks for 50 years !) but really ugly ( some kind of experimental cladding used after the war when there were building material shortages).
            I didn't know that over-cladding could look so good as my only experience had been with that fake brick which I don't like.

Comment

I agree with Spurner.

One option, if you have a big site and a decent roof, is to extend the roof/eaves/canopies/ etc.

IE, keep the water off that dreadful monolithic cladding.

Comment

Just remember most councils will require a building consent now too. So always check with them also.

Comment

After my friend saw your comment, they have contacted with this Transformationsetc company and had a contract with them for reclad their leaking home, but the company and the builder's bad behavior has killed my friend, it has been nearly two years, the job has never been completed, plus they took all the money by lied to my friend. plus they took my friend to the court for twice money of original contract, my friend's very upset and killed himself. very sad story. be careful with this company. the builder's name is Charles Emery.

Comment

pretty serious allegations there mate , may pay to delete that name

Comment

Interesting history here...

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

EMERY, Charles Stewart

Comment