• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First Election Debate - what a debacle!

Their eyes finally met over tax cuts. Both had entered the studio apparently oblivious to each other. There was no eye contact, no greeting.
    The impasse isn't broken right through the opening statements and discussions about the brain drain, until the debate turns to tax cuts.
    She makes the first serve, noting "John cares so much about the issues of families living on the average wage" that its tax cuts for them were only marginally better than Labour's.
    Source

I watched the debate on TV1 last night. Geez it made the McCain and Obama & Biden and Palin debates look polite and respectful.

The moderator (Mark Sainsbury) was as much a novice as he didn't have control of the continuous 'butt in's'. The US Election debates allows each speaker the 2 mins to answer the question without interruption - so to provide the audience with their viewpoint.

Last night's debate was the opposite. John Key started the continuous flow of interruptions and Helen realising Mark was not going to stop it - joins in for good measure.

I hope the next debate is more professional with each speaker given their turn to respond without the heckling etc.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Go here to see the public's comments about the debate.

Not sure who won.
    Patience is a virtue.

As someone who hates people talking over you I thought John's performance was annoying to say the least.

I agree with Donna the moderator was crap and he should in fact be trained by our mods!!

Who won the debate? Not sure though I am starting to worry a bit about what National will get up to if they get in power. It sometimes comes back to the "devil you know" in times of global difficulties.

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Sorry to break in on the group hug, Colin, but perhaps the moderator could have… well, moderated the debate and both Clark and Key could have acted like grown-ups. My partner’s response to their interjections and shouting over each other (just before he left the room) was considerably less generous — as well as unprintable on this blog.
    I agree with this comment.

Umm I certainly did not think John Key won by 66% to 33%. Personally I thought he seemed weak and quite childish at times - some of his heckling was just plain embarrassing. By the way this comment does not mean I am supporting Labour - personally I just thought the debate was a 'bitch-fight' (sorry PT mods remove the 'b' word if it's unappropriate) and did not offer a lot of value to any undecided voters.

Actually if it acheived anything at all it may have persuaded some voters to opt for the other parties or not vote at all.

Cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    Last night's debate was the opposite. John Key started the continuous flow of interruptions and Helen realising Mark was not going to stop it - joins in for good measure.

Donna
    Thats funny, (thru my Blue shades) I saw almost the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post

I hope the next debate is more professional with each speaker given their turn to respond without the heckling etc.
    Agreed

HemanZ

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    A

I am starting to worry a bit about what National will get up to if they get in power. It sometimes comes back to the "devil you know" in times of global difficulties.

Cheers

Marc
    I'm with you Marc. Initially I though Key was a good candidate but after last night I'm not sure at all. This happened in the UK when they voted Thatcher out. Everyone was fed up with the Tories. Labour won by a landslide but not long after everybody starts with the "we were better of with Thatcher" whinge......
    Jo Birch
    Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
    +61 450 148 678

The problem was the Sainsbury moderator, he was not moderating, why was he there to moderate and getting paid for it and then decided not to do his job, its is a problem with all men who have moustaches they are lazy or untrustworthy look at Hitler for example. Maybe next time they use a proper moderator who can enforce disipline, thats the problem with this country there is not enough disipline, you dont disipline children when they are young they start stealing things like shoes from doorways then they progress to stealing tvs and dvds soon they are in jail covered in tattoos just because there was no disipline. The moustache Sainsbury is sending a bad message to youth and needs to be replaced for the good of society.

I thought John did far better than his predecessor who was too polite to talk over Helen.

I missed the start but it was definitely Hell-en doing all the shouting and rudeness for the 30 minutes i did watch.

John's biggest weakness has been to not pounce on Labour's weaknesses - he did start to last night, to his credit.

But like many here, some of the minor parties may well be the winners this year.. but we always think / hope that don't we?
    two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post

But like many here, some of the minor parties may well be the winners this year.. but we always think / hope that don't we?
    And Winston Peters gets back in to parliament leaving National to choose between a coalition with NZ First or the Greens.

Woe is me, who do we vote for?

Blue and Green should not be seen. (to quote a fashion faux pas) and

Red and Green is no more than a frog in a blender.

Act - focused on reducing crime, and some relevant ideas on tax
    United Future - colourless but sensible
    Maori - proposing work for dole to teach young people skills and keep them busy

Lots of options.

Nats and Tariana are a long bet but still on the cards!
    two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Thread Information