Taking pooomba's advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking pooomba's advice....

I recently made an offer (against my better judgment) that would see a return of 8% (just over).

Feeling more than a little cheeky doing so (it was a private sale), the offer made via email (I know I know, don't bother saying a word) was exceptionally friendly and cheerful in tone and manner.

What happened, I hear you ask?

Seems the vendor is well unhappy with me.

Doesn't like that idea one bit. Surprised? Nope.

Suggestion: offer to have long settlement say 3 years and give them $1000 deposit this will make them happier, or buy and lease option it back to them that way they get to stay in the house, and you have positive cashflow and they can buy the house back at a later point for only 15% more than they sold it to you. Its win-win.
    Offer to help them shift any furniture etc they need to sell to pay for the lease option, a friendly helping hand is always appreciated, they may discount the selling price because of it as they see you as number one top guy.
    Last edited by orbital; 06-08-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

hahahahahaha - you mean win~win

Comment

Originally posted by k1w1 View Post
        I recently made an offer (against my better judgment) that would see a return of 8% (just over).

Feeling more than a little cheeky doing so (it was a private sale), the offer made via email (I know I know, don't bother saying a word) was exceptionally friendly and cheerful in tone and manner.

What happened, I hear you ask?

Seems the vendor is well unhappy with me.

Doesn't like that idea one bit. Surprised? Nope.
        K1w1

I think the rule of thumb with this "low-ball offer" strategy is pitch about 100 offers and expect to get accepted on maybe one or two of them.

So only 99 more offers to make . Go gettem tiger.

Comment

Holy crap, Batman. No wonder you lot have such a bad reputation. You make enemies all over the country/city/suburb!!

Like your local Amway salesperson, perhaps I should concentrate on friends and family first.

Comment

Well K1W1, you didn't take my advice other than making the price where you needed it.
            1. Never ever email an offer. The only thing that qualifies as an offer is a written one delivered in person or via an agent.
            2. You need to make 5 of these a week until you get a successful purchase
            3. How did you fill out the S&P to assist in getting the offer accepted?
            4. How did you advise the agent to talk to the vendors, or what did you say to the vendors directly if private sale, to help get your offer countersigned??
            5. Reiterate, emailing low offers waste of time, face to face negotiation with private vendors is best.

Comment

1. And I quote: "offer made via email (I know I know, don't bother saying a word)"

"Don't bother saying a word" was key to that sentence.

2. As covered by Shane.
              3. See 1.
              4. Ditto.

It was a friendly exploratory email that suggested an approx price offer that could be made. Once again, I know this isn't your full advice. I'm taking the piss.

Comment

Oh, and judging by the reaction I got, face-to-face would have seen me leave with a black eye or at a minimum, frog-marched out the door. I kid you not.

Comment

Godspeed K1w1!

Holy crap, Batman. No wonder you lot have such a bad reputation. You make enemies all over the country/city/suburb!!
                  What's that 8% yield stuff? What are you, Red bloody Cross meets Mother Theresa?

I reckon facing the vendors with a written quote, plenty of verbal contempt, a long sword and some kevlar on is the way to go, as Poomba indicated.

Also the private sales away from your place of residence are a real good idea, if you do pee someone off, at least there's not much collateral damage (you never know when you might need an agent again!).

Keep us posted boss.
                  Last edited by essence; 06-08-2008, 03:24 PM. Reason: Formatting error

Comment

Seriously K, you'll be amazed at how people can change face to face. I've seen it happen over and over again. Someone takes shine to you, price become secondary. (NOTE: This is not some 100% proof magic formula)

Comment

I'll be sure to take a bunch of roses with me, and develop a taste for hospital food.

Comment

I'll be sure to take a bunch of roses with me, and develop a taste for hospital food.
                        You have to be more proactive when you visit private vendor, maybe offer to read them bible story or invite them to your church group, offer to call CYF to advise how they bring up children or SPCA about how not to let dog do doggie doo in house, maybe ACC or WINZ if they seem to be getting better from accident or sickness. All help is good.

Comment

Do you mind sharing the very colourful reply email from the vendor with us? :-)

Comment

Not really. It'd be mostly &$#@&%$ anyway.

Comment

What region are you in k1w1? If I was happy with 8% return there are a number of places I could buy here (Chch).

And emailed offers are fine from a legal point of view if you have the appropriate clause (just use a fax one and change the obvious).

Comment

Working...
                              X