Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property: Buy now or wait? (Andrew King and Dean Letfus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property: Buy now or wait? (Andrew King and Dean Letfus)

Property: Buy now or wait?

5:00AM Saturday July 12, 2008
    By Anne Gibson

HOLD OFF
    Bargain-hunters beware: if you're tempted to leap into the rental property business right now - don't.
    That's the advice from Andrew King, Property Investors Federation vice-president and an experienced landlord who is cautious about the market.
    His advice for would-be residential investors wanting to weather the recession is to buy books on investing, school themselves on strategies, join organisations which offer landlords professional advice, arm themselves with knowledge and hone their skills.
    "Most investors should not invest at the moment because it's too risky. They're better to sit on their hands," King said.
    He also advises against attending motivational rallies promoting real estate and buying properties from meeting organisers, saying a conflict of interest should act as a warning to any savvy investor.
    "Don't go to seminars by people selling properties because the information will be completely biased. Get educated, don't be rushed, know the market. Hold on and see what happens because in a year's time, interest rates will be lower."

Investors hell-bent on buying should aim to buy at bargain-basement prices with an eye on how a property can be improved to generate more rent, King says.
    Buyers cannot bet on rents rising fast to offset the currently high interest rates. King has noticed an influx of rental properties in the last few months, as vendors pull their properties from the market and find tenants to help pay the mortgage. That has meant rents staying relatively static. He has also noticed tenants staying put in a move he attributes to them possibly being fearful of a rapidly changing market.
    This combination of factors means he is taking a wait-and-see-approach and telling others to do the same.

GET IN NOW
    Buy, buy, buy.
    So says Dean Letfus, a motivational speaker claiming to have accumulated a $20 million portfolio here and in Australia in four years.
    "My advice is to be accumulating property as quickly as possible because there is a major boom coming," Letfus said.
    "Look for cash-flow positive bargains and long-term settlement opportunities.
    "Every slump is followed by a boom.
    "We don't need to panic, we just need to ensure we are comfortable holding property till the recovery hits and sell down then to create wealth."
    The Aucklander said selling now without finding somewhere better to put the money would be counter productive.
    "Property has not stopped being the lowest risk and highest return investment class just because we are in a downturn."
    But he realises some people need to sell if they are stretched.
    "If you are highly geared in this environment, then retiring debt needs to be a priority especially if you are heavily exposed to one funder.
    "For most investors, the commonsense approach is to ride out this phase and wait for the recovery.
    "Own enough property to be able to sell down in the next boom and retire.
    "Selling now is only for those who are in bad financial shape.
    "However if you are pessimistic and believe the doom and gloom merchants then sell down now as things are going to get worse before they get better.
    "I have many peers who are recommending this.
    "Only time will tell.
    "Most long term investors I know are lowish geared so the current situation doesn't concern them at all or they have sold down 18 months ago and are entering the market now with vulture funds."

Listen to Andrew King, he is experienced and has nothing to sell you.

Originally posted by Dean Letfus
    Selling now is only for those who are in bad financial shape.
    In the Herald Homes supplement the weekend before last there was a little piece on investors who were selling.

Three investors were featured, along with the property they were selling.

One of those investors was Dean Letfus. It looked as if he was selling a B+H - the little blurb certainly didn't mention that it was a trade/assignment.

Paul.

Comment

You've got to be very careful saying things to middle NZ. You'll find a high number of people who will tenaciously believe what they want to hear and then turn on you like a rabid dog when or if it things all turn to fluff. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of independent thinking out there.

Comment

There is very little independent thinking and how could there be as we live in a country ruled by the 'we know best brigade' with their childish controls and orders. All serious property investors need to know what is going on in the World right now, watch CNBC diligently as you will educate yourself and not get caught up in such nonsense these people are teaching!
        Last edited by Commercial Dan; 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I know who I would rather believe.

Now, I remember Dean Leftus having around $5 million worth of property only 6-12 months ago. And he supposedly made that in around 4 years. Now he's supposed to be worth $20 million and the time fram hasn't changed.

When the tide goes out, we'll see who's been swimming naked (Warren Buffett).

David
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Just to correct Davo's appalling memory.

I have about 20 million worth of property, 50 tenancies spread across around 35 titles.
            I have never said I am "worth" 20 mil. I'm worth somewhere between zero and 10 mil depending on who you believe about the state of the market.

I started investing in November 04 so it will be 4 years this November.

And nothing has changed in the last 6 months. I have been busy in Oz for 6 months but nothing has changed much here.

It's another company that has people upgrading their net worth continually, not me. I have always quoted actual numbers and properties publicly. I think I was the first to do so. When I first started speaking people wouldn't tell you what they had done. I concluded because in many cases they hadn't done much.

So ignore Davo's comments, they are completely wrong in this case.

Comment

There are so many things that just do not add up, though so many numskulls have fallen for it.
              Last edited by Commercial Dan; 12-07-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

A lot of what's going on is bleeding obvious but a lot of people are in too deep so they resort to all manner of rationalizing to keep themselves sane. This affects everyone, not just investors or new home buyers. Those who have banked on their homes being worth a certain value as they enter retirement, etc. may find themselves a lot less comfortable than they imagined they would be.

Predicting a boom in NZ sounds plain daft to me when the downturn has barely started. It's certainly a leftfield perspective but some kind of reasoning would make it more convincing.

Comment

tanmedia,

There has beeen a great deal of discussion on this site on the next "boom of all booms". Dean Letfus subscribes to the theory that the next boom, which will be the largest boom ever, will begin in 2010/2011.

See this thread - it is interesting reading, and explains the reasoning behind Dean's position.

Paul.
                  Last edited by SuperDad; 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks SD. And might I ad having researched the impact of the boomers in OZ and the governments response to it I am even more convinced that this boom is coming.

BTW Tanmedia Anne Gibson asked me what I thought so I told her. I wasn't asked to explain why I thought it.

I speak on the subject all round New Zealand regularly for anybody interested

Comment

I assume you have a lot of property to sell to donkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by pooomba View Post
                        Thanks SD. And might I ad having researched the impact of the boomers in OZ and the governments response to it I am even more convinced that this boom is coming.

BTW Tanmedia Anne Gibson asked me what I thought so I told her. I wasn't asked to explain why I thought it.

I speak on the subject all round New Zealand regularly for anybody interested
                        So with NZ house prices (relative to income) the most expensive ever and following NZs biggest property Boom you think there will be another one within a few years?

Do you also think the boom that just ended will only result in the small drop that has occured so far?

Luckily people around the world have a lot of spare money right now and combined with cheap commodity prices, a booming economy and easy credit i guess this makes sense.....
                        Last edited by Contrail; 13-07-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
                          See this thread - it is interesting reading, and explains the reasoning behind Dean's position.
                          I'd almost forgotten about that, quite amusing in hindsight. The theory's interesting, the reality is probably quite a bit different.

Raincheck till about 2015? That's probably the time most people will have gotten over the next 12-24 months.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
                            tanmedia,

There has beeen a great deal of discussion on this site on the next "boom of all booms". Dean Letfus subscribes to the theory that the next boom, which will be the largest boom ever, will begin in 2010/2011.

Paul.
                            Thanks SD. It will take me a while to plough through all that but I did read the opening post (written in the golden age of 2005). It's definitely an interesting view and largely comes back to immigration as the determinant factor. Fair enough and much similar to what we hear from the bulls in the Aussie market (nothing particularly new. Interestingly enough nobody seems to use the UK as a benchmark here). To me, it's largely an "opinion piece" without any reference to a similar phenomenon happening anywhere else in the world. It also doesn't address what I see as the key issues--affordability and availability of credit.

Comment

I disagree with the big boom theory. It is usually promoted by those who want to believe everything will be OK in the future or are trying to sell something Eg RM.
                              The theory has a major flaw and this thread is not the place to discuss it. My views are clear and written in the big boom thread elsewhere on these PT forums.

The boomer flawed thread.

And for those that suffer from a Scotoma

Last edited by whitt; 13-07-2008, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X