• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing slump drives agents out

Housing slump drives agents out
    5:00AM Tuesday July 01, 2008
    By Eloise Gibson

The property slump has driven about 10 per cent of Auckland's real estate agents out of the business.

Some had gone months without income.

Nearly 700 agents, many of whom work solely on commission, have left the real estate industry since December and agencies predict they will lose more before the housing market picks up.

Real Estate Institute of New Zealand figures show the number of sales staff employed in Auckland fell from 7824 in December last year to 7150 at the beginning of June.

Barfoot and Thompson director Peter Thompson said some agents had left after going two or three months without a paycheque.

"With a family and a mortgage to pay, that's pretty tough," he said.

Auckland has been hit harder than the national average by falling property sales.

Residential sales for March, April and May were less than half the number for the same time last year.

This leaves agents competing for a much smaller pool of sales.

Ray White New Zealand's chief executive, Carey Smith, said that a year ago, each agent had about 1.5 sales a month available to him or her.

Now there was only 0.6 of a sale an agent a month to go around.

Mr Smith said the industry had lost 22 per cent of its staff in the past year, and with agents having to pay fixed business costs from fewer sales, that could rise to more than 30 per cent.

The downturn may also spur those thinking of leaving the industry for other reasons.

Les Smith, of Smith Realty in Belmont, closed his agency last month after more than 20 years in the business to devote more time to his role as a justice of the peace.

"I've been thinking of getting out for some time," he said. "It's a good time to leave because the industry is slowing down."

Agency heads said the fall in staff numbers was not all bad news. Agencies said they were losing part-time and less-experienced sellers, but keeping the top sellers.

Real Estate Institute president Murray Cleland said people who went into real estate during the property boom were now realising it was not easy money.

"I don't think it's a bad thing to lose a few people," he said. "The people who were just hanging on will disappear and leave it to the people who have the skills to negotiate."

Mr Smith said part-time sellers had all but disappeared.

"It's a high-risk business at the best of times. The majority of the industry works on commission."

But his top agents were making more sales than ever, which he attributed to vendors seeking better agents to sell their properties in tough times.

Harcourts New Zealand CEO Bryan Thomson said career real estate agents were still doing well.

* The figures

Real estate agents employed in Auckland:

December 2006 7434

June 2007 7577

December 2007 7824

May 31, 2008 7150

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

You have to wonder what these Agents do next? I suppose good sales people always have job offers....especially if they are willing to work on commission only.

Cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Yeah but they'd be wanting a regular paycheck I reckon.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Are they not part of the long awaited "KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY"

mfao!

Comment

Where is Ron Hoy Fong?

Comment

i've noticed quite a few mt.wellington cheapies coming up on trademe, wasn't that his fave? would make sense to pay down some debt where possible
            have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

I agree. Strategies that seem good on a rising market and allow the rampant accumulation of assets are clearly dangerous as in an economic downturn the investments require intensive management and cash flow. This is a distraction no investor needs. A sell-down or orderly exit is necessary exit is difficult to achieve in such circumstance. Despite lower interest rates and a better sales pattern I am of the opinion that caution and lowering of debt/equity ratios are necessary. Property is still a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by lauriero View Post
                I agree. Strategies that seem good on a rising market and allow the rampant accumulation of assets are clearly dangerous as in an economic downturn the investments require intensive management and cash flow. This is a distraction no investor needs. A sell-down or orderly exit is necessary exit is difficult to achieve in such circumstance. Despite lower interest rates and a better sales pattern I am of the opinion that caution and lowering of debt/equity ratios are necessary. Property is still a good investment.
                Go slow, go far

Comment

We still have too many agents for the properties genuinely for sale. This stands out by the number of properties listed on websites (other than Auctions & Tenders) that have no price quoted. Not quoting a price
                  gives two messages;

1 The vendor is not a willing seller,
                  2 The agent & the vendor cannot arrive at and agree to a market price.

The percentage of properties without prices quoted is well over what is acceptable for serious buyers to be involved. Not only is the property not priced but the facts necessary to allow a purchaser to arrive at his price is not given with the listing. A stale RV may be but how much use is that. I know the agent works for the vendor and I am sure his reputation would be advances if he and his staff could help their principals arrive at a selling price I personally do not respond to unpriced properties.
                  Last edited by lauriero; 14-07-2009, 11:12 PM. Reason: better layout

Comment

I'm not sure that the lack of prices is because there's too many agents around but I agree with everything else you say.

In the commercial world, it's even worse, even more properties are listed without prices.

I have stated before why I hate this, so won't go into it again.

Suffice to say, it suits the agents a lot and mucks everyone else around.

But all we have to do is not play that game. If everyone just did as you do and ignored properties without price, it would end overnight.

David
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                    X