• Show
Clear All

• where to sell gold

hi guys

has anyone know where to sell gold/silver in new zealand? cheers,

A
    A8

Hi A

You could always try to sell on http://www.trademe.co.nz auction site.

How much silver are you selling?

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

thanks for your reply Muppet, i just asked. i don't actually hold some at this moment.

but i am quite interested in trade gold/silver and found some good links here about buying, therefore ask about selling. in new zealand, is it possible to trade gold/silver on line withouit physically holding them, like share or foreign exchange? cheers,

A
      A8

Comment

If you want to buy gold without holding the physical asset (don't forget how many people lost millions with the Goldcorp failure in NZ in 1987 or so) this is stright forward. However as I have no interest in the asset I do not who does it now.

Three other choices are

1. Buy put or calls over gold dependant on your views on price. Try some of the brokers with international links

2. Do what most people do when they do not want the security of holding the physical asset, that is buy shares in gold companies. Australia has dozens. The shares move pretty much in direct correlation to the prevaling gold price. The advantage is twofold. Firstly they pay dividends which gold does not. Secondly they are easily tradable. There is of course a downside in that companies can still go bad. I think sons of Gowalla (excuse spelling) a major Australian miner had a major disappointment in the past few weeks.

3. Of course Gold does not have any significant industrial use in the world and thus no non emotional demand driver . The major holding of Gold is as a store of wealth which is something of a tautology because it has minimal intrinsic value. Come the revolution the real store of wealth is cigerettes and food. Thus I think Platinium is a more sensible strategy especially with the expected surge in car use in China and India over comming decades and the resultant need for platinium in catalytic converters.

Comment

Hi all

Murray

I agree with what you say but I want to add a couple of comments .

Firstly that's a very good point about buying gold shares rather than physical gold. This has been my preferred option to gain exposure to Gold and the Gold sector. The reason why I believe it is even better than having a chunk of gold is this.
          If Gold is say $400 US oz and by the end of the year its $450 you have done well and made a 12 % profit.
          However if a gold stock is selling the gold at 400 US oz but its cost price is 300 per oz it makes $100 per oz, if the price of Gold goes to $450 per oz the profit is now $150 per oz a profit rise of 50%.
          Obviously if the price delines then the loss is even more dramatic than buying the solid stuff. It's all about leverage. At the prospect of new Gold finds and shares look good.
          As far as the real value of Gold, the demand from Asia for Gold keeps increasing (the last time I read about it) they love gold jewellery in India and China, as these two countries continue to prosper don't discount their insatiable desire for the Yellow rock.

Regards westan
          Invest in the USA for 20% returns. Contact me at [email protected] for details.

Comment

Hi A,
            I am also going to start investing in gold/gold company shares. I see this thread is a bit old and I'm just wondering if you've taken any action on buying gold/shares? and how you went about it.

Evil

Comment

Hi Evil

Have you seen this site
              KITCO Covers The Latest Gold News, Silver News, Live Gold Prices, Silver Prices, Gold Charts, Gold Rate, Mining News, ETF, FOREX, Bitcoin, Crypto, Stock Markets

Regards
              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Hi Muppet,

No I haven't seen it before. Thanks for that....it has quite a lot of information on there.
                I notice you have done quite a few posts on gold Muppet....can I take it that you have made some kind of investment in gold?

Evil

Comment

Hi Evil

No not really. Bought a gold coin last year and some silver bars.

Haven't got the spare cash to invest unfortunately but love watching the prices. Just like house prices but alot more volatile.

Regards

Comment

Yeah I was going to buy some gold coins...until I found out they charge an extra 4-7% on top of the going price for gold, and then theres also the difficulty in selling them on in a hurry.
                    I think shares in gold companys is the best way to go now.

With these gold experts predicting the price of gold to basically treble in value.....imagine the returns if you had $100K to invest! :twisted:

heh heh maybe its time to get a top up on the mortgage

Comment

Hi Evil

Very true about the coins. Some coins are more collectable than others.

If buying silver get silver pellets rather than coins and silver bars. These are much easier to get rid of to jewellers as they use them in their silver work.

Regards

Comment

Hi Evil

We have been advised not to buy coins also as you are paying more. We only buy ingots gold and silver. My husband finds some good deals in Dubai at the Gold Souk especially in the hot season and of course from the Perth Mint.

Regards

Tamara
                        You don't know how great things are until you loose it.

Comment

Yeah as Westan said above, you'd make more profit by investing in gold company shares rather than gold itself.
                          You also get paid dividends as well. And from what I read in the master tax guide, the interest on the money I borrow to buy these shares is tax deductible.

Heres an article on a good gold stock portfolio

Evil

Comment

Hi Evil and all

Have a read of Jason Hommel's essay, 10 Reasons why it's always good to own gold (gold is money & why it is money) at this site:

Regards

Comment

Working...
                            X