Doggie Doings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doggie Doings

I'm temporarily lost for words on this one and some opinion would be welcome, particularly if it is backed by experience.

A tenant has two dogs, allowed in the tenancy agreement.

The dogs wanders everywhere and are 'part of the family'.

They also poo. Specifically they poo on the lawn and garden.

Recently I had the pleasure of visiting the tenants to find the lawns being mown. (If you do not know by now, tenants often mow the lawn or clean the oven when the landlord is visiting.)

This is where I am lost for words.

The motor mower, without a catcher, was being pushed over the lawn and the dog poo which was lying around in abundance. It had all hardened because it had been lying there for days. All the little pieces of poo were flying all over the place in minute little bits. A lovely odour was created, much as when one stirs a forgotten curry on the stove.

So what should I do?

xris
    Last edited by xris; 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM. Reason: typos

Good compost for the lawn?

What can you do?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Lucky they were in little bits flying off.
      It is worse when you walk into a poo cloud of dust.

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
        So what should I do?

xris

"should" you do?

Probably nothing provided everything else is OK.

"could" you do?

Definately nothing.

What have you learned from this experience?

Yet again, NO DOGS.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
          "

Yet again, NO DOGS.
          Exactly. But in this case I have sort of inherited them.

xris

Comment

1. provide a compost bin and get tenants to use a catcher on their mower
            2. put the rent up by enough to cover a mower man of your choosing who will use a catcher
            3. be grateful for free compost on lawn - though i don't think dog and cat doo doo is actually that rich in nutrients from memory!
            Good luck. Could be worse, could be poo in the carpet!
            two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Comment

Tell them that if they cleaned up after poochy-poo, the grass wouldn't grow so quickly, so they would have to mow so often!

If you've allowed the dogs, I can't see how you can stop their natural functions!

Although, you may like to try a variation on this recipe for your next inspection.....
              DFTBA

Comment

You got what you tenanted for!!!

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                "should" you do?

Probably nothing provided everything else is OK.

"could" you do?

Definately nothing.

Yet again, NO DOGS.
                You allowed the dogs. Dogs defecate (sp??). If you don't like what happens to the dog doo doo when it goes through the catcher, tough.

Remedy 1 - give tenants 90 notice.
                Remedy 2 - Get over it.
                Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Having slept on it I think the 90 day notice is the best solution if the LL really was bothered by the poo.

However, if that was not possible (fixed?) or not desireable then I believe there is a strong case for a 10 day notice. The tenants are effectively not keeping the place reasonably neat and tidy by leaving the poo lying around. The dogs pooing is not the issue: the problem is that the tenants don't clean it up.That's my opinion anyway.

xris
                  Last edited by xris; 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Best tenants I have are ones with a single dog.
                    I'd talk to them about it - then put the rent up another $20pw.

Pretty hard for tenants with dogs to find a rental.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                      Best tenants I have are ones with a single dog.
                      I'd talk to them about it - then put the rent up another $20pw.

Pretty hard for tenants with dogs to find a rental.
                      Yup - I have three lots of tenants with dogs and I charge a premium. I also make it clear that poo must be cleaned up regularly.

Originally posted by xris
                      A lovely odour was created, much as when one stirs a forgotten curry on the stove.
                      Well that's put me RIGHT off my vindaloo
                      Jo Birch
                      Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                      +61 450 148 678

Comment

They could get a worm farm and the worms would eat the doggie poo AND the food scraps.

Very environmental.

Comment

Same as what keys says 'Don't allow dogs'.
                          I had a situation not long ago with an 87 year old tenant just signed up and then told me he had a dog for a companion, I don't allow dogs usually but this guy put me on th spot.

The two major concerns i had were the not picking up of dog poo and also the dog being inside the house.

My decision was final 'no dogs'.

That must have looked so funny with Xris standing there and all this poo flying by!!!

Comment

That must have looked so funny with Xris standing there and all this poo flying by!!!
                            He's probably used to it - I think it happens in these forums a fair bit, eh Xris?!

Hmmm.. second thoughts, I guess you don't just let it fly by....
                            Lisa

Comment

Working...
                            X