• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 181 182 183
Results 1,821 to 1,827 of 1827

Quote Originally Posted by exnzpat View Post
    Itís a pity; New Zealand had her chance and you guys blew it!
    Care to explain this bit as well?

My interpretation:

It seems to me that he is meaning that house prices are so overinflated now it will be many years before they get back to what they were.

This means all those people with cash flow negative properties will remain so for a long time, hence whittling away your money. If you sell out you make a capital loss.

I guess if the property market had increased slower money could have been made on more houses due to greater houses being on the market over in that period.

Quite a few leaps of faith to reach those guestimates.

Quote Originally Posted by exnzpat View Post
    This caught my eye.

If I may; let me give you some free financial advice.

Does "trade marking" cost money? Yes, it does. So, why do it? Exactly, whom are you trying to protect your job title from and why?

Basically, you are wasting money, and as the New Zealand economy tightens up you will need every dime you have just to keep afloat. Donít waste your waste money on such a pointless endeavor.

The term Financial Planner is an actual job title; it sounds better, and itís free.
    Hi exnzpat

It depends on why one would be trademarking isn't it.

An investment into my IP of a few hundred dollars is not really a biggie.

In Oz I am a licensed financial planner, an accredited mortgage broker and the pricipal of a Real Estate Agency.
    In Oz though I am not allowed to call myself a financial planner if I am discussing property for investment purposes. Hence I came up with the term Wealth Coach.

In NZ it doesn't really matter but consistancy of my IP across both countires is what I was after.

cheers

Terry
    www.nzpis.com

Quote Originally Posted by tpr2 View Post
    Hi exnzpat

It depends on why one would be trademarking isn't it.

An investment into my IP of a few hundred dollars is not really a biggie.

In Oz I am a licensed financial planner, an accredited mortgage broker and the pricipal of a Real Estate Agency.
    In Oz though I am not allowed to call myself a financial planner if I am discussing property for investment purposes. Hence I came up with the term Wealth Coach.

In NZ it doesn't really matter but consistancy of my IP across both countires is what I was after.

cheers

Terry
    www.nzpis.com
    My knowledge of Trade marking a thing from my business was an initial cost of three to five thousand dollars. In the end I chose not to even waste my time and money -- and this is why: as an example, letís consider that I set up shop right next door to your business. I too am selling wealth and I decide that the term, Wealth Coach, which you have created, will sound good to my clients too.

After a while you realize that Iím using something that you own, and ask me to stop or you will sue me (which is your right). I say, OK. But, itís lie; I donít stop using your term. At this point you are left with two options: sue me or ignore me. If you sue me it will cost you many thousands of dollars and what do you really achieve? It distracts you from your business goals and depletes your bottom line, and me? Well, all I do when confronted by a cease and desist order is to simply change the term to say: Wealth Trainer or something along those lines. So, you see, it places you in a situation that you can never really win from.

Again, from the legal angle, your ability to even get your foot in the Courts door would be quite difficult because you will need to prove financial damage before a judge will even consider hearing the case. Because, you have trademarked a phrase and not an object it would be exceedingly difficult to even get me into the court room without spending very large sums of money on a very able legal team who can show very real monetary damages to your company.
    Erewhon is still erehwon, I donít see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Hi exnzpat

I absolutely agree with you in every way.
    The point of view I have is this though, firstly the trademark application down here is only a couple of hundred dollars.
    Secondly my view is possibly a little more "sun tsu and the art of war" (excuse the spelling). I am eliminating the possibility that I may be the next door neighbour who inadvertantly is using someones elses trademark. In other words I don't face the possibility that some day I get a cease and desist order on using a phrase we have used for 8 years now and all of our branding flows around it.
    I know it is a petty remote possibility that someone else could trademark the term and then prevent me from using it but I don't really want to end up in that position. I hope that makes sense.

cheers

Terry

I think I might trademark the term "property investor".

That way, I can issue cease and desist orders to all of the others out there who call themselves property investors.

Maybe I can some money doing it?

Paul.

lol....

Race you to it

Exnzpat might have a point though with the phrase being "property investor" and it being a fairly generic term these days.

Terry

Thread Information