This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Marcus

The wealth coach is our term for Financial Planner, its a term I have an application in for as a trademark.

We don't do education classes for the public.

The planners/coaches have to complete either diploma or bachelors qualifications as well as continuing professional development courses as required by the professional bodies we are members of. Thats what I mean by education classes.

....lol... I have just given myself another slap on the forehead.
    did you mean I should use your book to provide information to my staff?

If so my apologies. I thought you meant I was giving education seminars in the way Jones etc do.

cheers

Terry

Comment

• This caught my eye.

Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
      The wealth coach is our term for Financial Planner, its a term I have an application in for as a trademark.
      If I may; let me give you some free financial advice.

Does "trade marking" cost money? Yes, it does. So, why do it? Exactly, whom are you trying to protect your job title from and why?

Basically, you are wasting money, and as the New Zealand economy tightens up you will need every dime you have just to keep afloat. Don’t waste your waste money on such a pointless endeavor.

The term Financial Planner is an actual job title; it sounds better, and it’s free.
      Erewhon is still erehwon, I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

http://exnzpat.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Exnzpat have you lost a lot of money in real estate or from some sort of seminar?
        Nigel Turner

Comment

• Originally posted by Tucker View Post
          Exnzpat have you lost a lot of money in real estate or from some sort of seminar?

I have never lost money in real estate, at least not yet.

No, my attitude towards Spruikers and the like, come from the damage they can do, when allowed to rain havoc on an economy. But, I cannot blame the Spruikers alone, because the average unsophisticated New Zealand investor appalls me too.

I have been watching a slow motion movie of a train wreck. Every day I watch house prices, every day I watch the New Zealand dollar; I know what is coming, but it is coming so slowly it is maddening. Tucker, you have followed my posts so you know that I said this thing wouldn’t really begin until we see high unemployment figures. Eventually, someday soon it will happen and the cycle can be reset.

But, those of you who made the quick bucks will see it all whittled away over the coming years – the majority of you will be right back where you started.

All of us, housing investors and the like, could have made so much money had the market remained stable (normal) and not galloped headlong into the twilight zone.

It’s a pity; New Zealand had her chance and you guys blew it!

Reminds me of something that occurred during the Peasant Revolt of the 14th Century...

"...Rustics you were and rustics you are still: you will remain in bondage not as before but incomparably harsher. For as long as we [the royals] live we will strive to suppress you, and your misery will be an example in the eyes of posterity..."
          Waltham, England, June 22, 1381
          Richard II, King of England
          Last edited by exnzpat; 03-07-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by exnzpat View Post

But, those of you who made the quick bucks will see it all whittled away over the coming years – the majority of you will be right back where you started.
            Care to explain how you worked this out? :-)

Comment

It’s a pity; New Zealand had her chance and you guys blew it!
              Care to explain this bit as well?

Comment

• My interpretation:

It seems to me that he is meaning that house prices are so overinflated now it will be many years before they get back to what they were.

This means all those people with cash flow negative properties will remain so for a long time, hence whittling away your money. If you sell out you make a capital loss.

I guess if the property market had increased slower money could have been made on more houses due to greater houses being on the market over in that period.

Quite a few leaps of faith to reach those guestimates.

Comment

This caught my eye.

If I may; let me give you some free financial advice.

Does "trade marking" cost money? Yes, it does. So, why do it? Exactly, whom are you trying to protect your job title from and why?

Basically, you are wasting money, and as the New Zealand economy tightens up you will need every dime you have just to keep afloat. Don’t waste your waste money on such a pointless endeavor.

The term Financial Planner is an actual job title; it sounds better, and it’s free.
                  Hi exnzpat

It depends on why one would be trademarking isn't it.

An investment into my IP of a few hundred dollars is not really a biggie.

In Oz I am a licensed financial planner, an accredited mortgage broker and the pricipal of a Real Estate Agency.
                  In Oz though I am not allowed to call myself a financial planner if I am discussing property for investment purposes. Hence I came up with the term Wealth Coach.

In NZ it doesn't really matter but consistancy of my IP across both countires is what I was after.

cheers

Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
                    Hi exnzpat

It depends on why one would be trademarking isn't it.

An investment into my IP of a few hundred dollars is not really a biggie.

In Oz I am a licensed financial planner, an accredited mortgage broker and the pricipal of a Real Estate Agency.
                    In Oz though I am not allowed to call myself a financial planner if I am discussing property for investment purposes. Hence I came up with the term Wealth Coach.

In NZ it doesn't really matter but consistancy of my IP across both countires is what I was after.

cheers

Terry
                    www.nzpis.com
                    My knowledge of Trade marking a thing from my business was an initial cost of three to five thousand dollars. In the end I chose not to even waste my time and money -- and this is why: as an example, let’s consider that I set up shop right next door to your business. I too am selling wealth and I decide that the term, Wealth Coach, which you have created, will sound good to my clients too.

After a while you realize that I’m using something that you own, and ask me to stop or you will sue me (which is your right). I say, OK. But, it’s lie; I don’t stop using your term. At this point you are left with two options: sue me or ignore me. If you sue me it will cost you many thousands of dollars and what do you really achieve? It distracts you from your business goals and depletes your bottom line, and me? Well, all I do when confronted by a cease and desist order is to simply change the term to say: Wealth Trainer or something along those lines. So, you see, it places you in a situation that you can never really win from.

Again, from the legal angle, your ability to even get your foot in the Courts door would be quite difficult because you will need to prove financial damage before a judge will even consider hearing the case. Because, you have trademarked a phrase and not an object it would be exceedingly difficult to even get me into the court room without spending very large sums of money on a very able legal team who can show very real monetary damages to your company.

Comment

• Hi exnzpat

I absolutely agree with you in every way.
                      The point of view I have is this though, firstly the trademark application down here is only a couple of hundred dollars.
                      Secondly my view is possibly a little more "sun tsu and the art of war" (excuse the spelling). I am eliminating the possibility that I may be the next door neighbour who inadvertantly is using someones elses trademark. In other words I don't face the possibility that some day I get a cease and desist order on using a phrase we have used for 8 years now and all of our branding flows around it.
                      I know it is a petty remote possibility that someone else could trademark the term and then prevent me from using it but I don't really want to end up in that position. I hope that makes sense.

cheers

Terry

Comment

• I think I might trademark the term "property investor".

That way, I can issue cease and desist orders to all of the others out there who call themselves property investors.

Maybe I can some money doing it?

Paul.

Comment

• lol....

Race you to it

Exnzpat might have a point though with the phrase being "property investor" and it being a fairly generic term these days.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X