• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix'n'float: getting the right mortgage

Hi Guys

Interesting article on interest rates in this mornings Sunday Times:

Fix'n'float: getting the right mortgage

SUNDAY , 27 JUNE 2004

ROB STOCK explores New Zealanders' readiness to fix their mortgages for short terms.

Kiwis have gone overboard on short-term borrowing when it comes to buying a home.

The days are well past when homebuyers locked themselves into fixed-rate mortgages for the long term.

Those who did - for example, in May 1998 - learned some hard lessons.

With floating rates at 11.25%, they thought a two-year fixed rate at 9.25% was a steal. However, variable rates plummeted to 5.95% six months later.

But have borrowers over-learned the lesson and started micro-managing their mortgages to the nth degree?

According to free-to-use mortgage rate comparison website www.interest.co.nz, one third of New Zealand's $90.6 billion in home loans is fixed for just six months.

At the same time, 20% was fixed for one year, and just 13.2% for two years.

A total of just under 35% was held as floating loans, including revolving credit.

These figures apply to lenders AMP, ANZ, ASB, BNZ, Kiwibank, HSBC, National Bank, TSB Bank and Westpac.

Mortgage brokers and bankers have expressed surprise at Kiwis' willingness to fix for such short terms, particularly as many banks charge a $250 documentation fee to refix at the end of the period.

Over two years, refixing six-monthly adds $1000 to the cost of borrowing, and creates a lot of work.

A $100,000 loan fixed for six months and avoiding a 0.7% rate hike would save about $700 in a year. But if the householder is paying $250 every six months to refix the loan, the saving is only $200.

That's a small return for a lot of effort, some say.

Miranda Caird, of mortgage broker Mortgage Choice, says the only way to make the strategy pay handsomely is to pay an annual fee for the right to be part of a scheme - such as Westpac's Redpack. This would cost $150 for a loan of up to $150,000, and cover all redocumentation fees.

Serial short-term borrowers may also be introducing a new kind of risk into their borrowings. Changed circumstances can affect ability to repay. When it came to refinancing, someone with reduced income might find the bank a lot less friendly to deal with, says Caird.

The bank would be within its rights to ask for a "statement of position" and reassess its relationship with the borrower, and that could involve higher interest rates, or an invitation to take their business elsewhere.

Some commentators say the sale and marketing of loans may be the cause of the short-term fixation.

Six-month rates are certainly the best on the market. Though the Reserve Bank says they are basically funded by banks in the same way as is floating-rate mortgage money, fixed rates are up to 1% cheaper from the main lenders.

For shoppers buying on headline rate alone, that may be too attractive to ignore, says David Chaston of interest.co.nz.

Caird, too, sees six-month rates as bait to catch new customers.

"I suspect most of that is a sales pitch. The banks are all aiming for the same business and that's how they do it."

But the banks are far from convinced that the statistics, calculated by the Reserve Bank, reflect the way people actually manage their mortgages.

Westpac's Vince Clark, product manager for home loans, says most new customers wanting to fix do so over periods of two years, "trying to see themselves through the rate cycle".

Caird agrees and says that, with interest rates on the rise in the short term, "anyone fixing for one year or less is saying OI don't care where interest rates are in six months or a year'."

In a climate of rising rates, which many economists expect will feature increases to base rates of as much as 75 basis points (0.75%), fixing for six months or a year could be an opportunity missed.

So how should borrowers approach structuring their mortgages?

It depends on the individual, according to Caird. Fixing a loan is about buying certainty, rather than speculating on the direction of interest rates over the longer term.

For those on a tight budget, a fixed-rate loan provides certainty that, even if rates move dramatically, they can still pay. If rates rise by the 0.75% some predict, adding $750 or more annually to a $100,000 floating-rate mortgage, many families would have trouble finding the extra cash.

Two-year fixed periods are about as long as most people are now willing to commit to. But for those with more cash, flexibility is the watchword.

With a chunk of debt in a fixed-rate loan, many people benefit from having part of their mortgage in a floating rate facility, brokers say. This might be a reducing-limit, revolving credit account.

Wizard Home Loans' John Grant says New Zealanders, compared with Australians, are gun-shy when it comes to risk.

In Australia about two-thirds of home loans are floating, compared to the 31% here, says Grant.

But for those motivated to pay their mortgage off quickly and prepared to run their finances off a credit card linked to a revolving-credit account, the savings available are much greater than those on offer through a fixed loan, he says.

Westpac's capped-rate mortgages are another option for people worried about rate rises and looking to borrow or refinance now. These put a ceiling on the interest rate of a loan. Should rates drop, however, the mortgage acts as a floating-rate loan.
    Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Interesting post.

We seem to follow different motivations, I am personally quite happy to fix long term and risk the interest rate dropping, we have one place fixed for 5 years one for 4 years one for 3 years and one for 2. Our own house comes up for refixing in Jan next year. Mostly what I thought about was ensuring that everything didn't come up at once, then getting as long as possible at a reasonable rate, just means that I know our places will be cashflow positive for a fair while, and if interest rates have gone up heaps when it is time to refix well hopefully what we have paid off the equity will allow the place to still be cashflow positive.

The other consideration was when do we want these houses to be paid off, with the first one to be paid off coming up for refixing when our house ought to be paid off.

What motivates others with their interest rate decisions?

Cheers David
    New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

I also read the item in the Sunday Star times... To me it seemed contrary to everything I had read prior to my borrowing. Believe me I read plenty.

Like David I also have my investments set at differing expiry dates. Five years, Four years, two at three years, and one at one year. My own home is mortgage free.

I prefer to set the terms and relax knowing that my commitments will stay the same for the term. The bank initially only let me have Fixed interest only for one year although the term was for five years. At the completion of the first year they were happy to set interest only for a further 26 months (Don't ask me how they got to that number). I can then extent that period again.

The property fixed for one year expires in December. At that time my intention is to fast track the repayments. I don't see any reason to fast track the others. Especially with the prospect of the interest rates rising to 8 or 9%. Or even more.

The small amount of money that people are saving by fixing for the minimum period doesn't seem worth it to me. Let's see I fixed for five years at 6.5%. Can't remember what the 6 month rate was but it wasn't under 6%. With the rates rising as they are my 6.5% looks pretty good to me.

Still what do I know I've only been in this game for just over a year and the learning curve still seems straight up.

Allan S

Strive to survive
      Counter cyclic means always swimming against the tide

Manawatu Property Investors' Association

Comment

Hi David,

Originally posted by Monid
        we have one place fixed for 5 years one for 4 years one for 3 years and one for 2. Our own house comes up for refixing in Jan next year.
        This is a variation of interest rate averaging. I'd like this method better than the conventional interest rate averaging method which breaks a single loan into several smaller ones, each with a different renewal date. For investors buying properties every year, your method is simpler.

Comment

This is a variation of interest rate averaging. I'd like this method better than the conventional interest rate averaging method which breaks a single loan into several smaller ones, each with a different renewal date. For investors buying properties every year, your method is simpler.
          Since I created the conventional 'interest rate averaging' (IRA) method in 1998 I thought I should clarify it for you. IRA does not mean that every time you buy another property you split the new debt into 6 loans. This would be totally impractical and costly. The conventional concept is to spread your overall borrowings across the full range of fixed and floating rates but not all at once. I explained this in my first book 'Mortgage Concepts' and have also added it to my new book.

For example if you currently have $600,000 floating then yes you could split that loan into six seperate $100,000 loans (ie float 1 and fix each of the rest for 1,2,3,4 and 5 yrs). But if in 6 months you then bought another property for say $200,000 it would not be practical to split it into six $33,333.33 loans!

So how do you deal with this? Probably an easy way to explain it is that if you imagine you are building a brick wall you dont just place a whole column or two of bricks on top of each other but you build the wall up by keeping it a relatively even height across many rows. This is also how you should use IRA. As you borrow more you simply fill in the gaps as it were of the timeframes where you don't have much (if any) debt due to expire from a fixed rate.

Personally I usually split each new loan in half and then fix the two amounts to expire at the times that I have the least debt expiring from fixed rates.

As I have explained before IRA is not an exact science but goes a long way towards minimising interest rate risk.
          Kieran Trass

Comment

Originally posted by kieran
            IRA does not mean that every time you buy another property you split the new debt into 6 loans.
            Thanks for clarifying my understanding.

Personally I usually split each new loan in half and then fix the two amounts to expire at the times that I have the least debt expiring from fixed rates.
            If you constantly buy properties every year, why do you still need to split each loan? Any advantage here?

Comment

If you constantly buy properties every year, why do you still need to split each loan? Any advantage here?
              My need for splitting the loans in half is just so I don't end up taking a 5 yr rate on every new loan (ie 1 yr into a 5 year term I would have no debt fixed for 5 years). By halving each new loan I can simply spread out the new borrowings rather than mainly fixing new debt for 5 yrs.
              Kieran Trass

Comment

Kieran

Thanks for the information.

Do you ever fix one half and float the other?

Tamara

PS When is your new book due out
                You don't know how great things are until you loose it.

Comment

Thanks Tamara,

IRA results in regular debt portions coming off fixed and onto floating anyway (at least once per year) so there is always the opportunity to leave some floating rather than re-fixing.

My book is due out in about 4 weeks.
                  Kieran Trass

Comment

Working...
                  X