No announcement yet.

How Aussies are ripped off in America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Aussies are ripped off in America.

Hi Guys

Got this email from Neil Jenman yesterday.

AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY
    How Aussies are ripped off in America.

by Neil Jenman.

On the morning of April Fool's day, back in 2005, an email was sent to hundreds of Australian investors. It was a reminder about a series of 'Investing in the USA, Information Evenings' that were about to be held in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

The email, from a spruiker called Alvin Johnson, had an urgent tone. The Melbourne event was fully booked and hopeful investors were now being placed on a waiting list. "People are travelling long distances to attend, some are coming from WA and others from SA to attend in Melbourne," said the message. One investor was flying from Darwin to attend the Brisbane event.

The four advertised presenters were two Australians, Westan Johnson and Dymphna Boholt together with two Americans, Daniel Glushefski and James Graham.

According to his self-description, Westan Johnson began investing in property in Australia in 1997. He boasted that, by 2003, he had retired at the age of 39.

Apparently the retirement didn't last long because, in 2004, Westan moved from Australia to New Zealand in search of better "cash positive properties" which he sourced for a fee on behalf of investors.

By 2005, he had turned his attention to the United States. Hence the reason for this 'Information Evening'. Westan said he was "very enthusiastic about opportunities of investing in the USA". Although tickets for the event were $150 a head, it was billed as a "not for profit exercise".

Westan Johnson (and his brother Alvin Johnson) also describe themselves as Christians who "maintain the importance of integrity and honesty in our business practices."

The other Aussie at the events was Dymphna Boholt, a get-rich-very-quick spruiker from Queensland.

Dymphna is currently promising women that they can replace their income within 90 days. In other words, if you are earning $40,000 a year, then, in less than three months, you can stop work and still get the $40,000 a year (according to Dymphna).

For several years, Dymphna has been spruiking property in America. She tells Aussie
    DYMPHNA BOHOLT. Get-rich-very-quick spruiker who says NY State is a great opportunity. Sure, but for whom?

investors that they can get "phenomenal returns" and that "returns of 20 - 30 % are not uncommon".

Buying in the USA, according to Dymphna, is a great opportunity. "You can buy properties for a lot less than you would think in America (for example, properties for just $40,000 US in New York State), and manufacture huge growth/equity by knowing what to buy and where to buy," Dymphna wrote in a press release in 2006.

Clearly, Dymphna Boholt and Westan Johnson infer to Aussie investors that they (Dymphna and Westan) have done the research and they know the right people and the right places when it comes to investing in the USA.

So, now that we have told you about Westan Johnson and Dymphna Boholt, let's look at what happens to Aussie investors who trust their American co-presenters.

What you are about to learn is information that Westan Johnson, Alvin Johnson and Dymphna Boholt either knew (and dishonestly concealed) or didn't know and so could not reveal (which makes them incompetent, to put it mildly).

James Graham is the CEO of a company called Genesis Real Estate Investments based in Rochester in New York state. Daniel Glushefski is the CEO of a company called Pilgrim Properties based in Buffalo in New York state.

Both men make a very big deal about being Christians.

However, you don't have to ask around too much in Rochester or Buffalo to discover that both men have - and this is again putting it mildly - rather dubious reputations.

They are what's known as "flippers". And no, unlike a dolphin, a property 'flipper' is someone who buys a property at a cheap price and immediately on-sells it for a much higher price.

The sharpest scammers (sorry, flippers) will buy from the local sellers at bargain prices and sell to non-local buyers (out-of-towners) for inflated prices. Of course, the further away the buyer, the more chance of the flipper getting an inflated price.

And you can't get much further away from upstate New York in the United States than the Sydney suburb of Menai in Australia.

So, for the sake of simplicity, let's take just one example of what may be hundreds of Aussies who have bought real estate in the Buffalo or Rochester regions.

Kathy is a 45-year-old single mother of three boys, the sort of woman that Dymphna Boholt claims to be able to help.

In 2005, after her divorce, Kathy owned a home in Menai (in Sydney). She had been ill with cancer and was worried about her financial future.

Enter Westan Johnson and Dymphna Boholt's co-seminar-presenter, James Graham of Genesis Real Estate Investments.

Kathy was offered three properties, two in Rochester and one in Buffalo.

Take a look at the numbers and the rental returns…

The first property was priced at US$79,500. The rent was supposedly US$18,000 a year. That's a 22 per cent return (gross).

The second property was priced at US$51,900. The rent was supposedly US$11,400 a year. Again, that's 22 per cent return. Impressive indeed.

The third property was priced at US$34,900. The rent was supposedly US$8,100 a year. That's 23 per cent. Irresistible.

When converted to Aussie dollars, the total of all the purchase prices for the three properties, plus the spotter's fees and the buying costs came to around $250,000.

Kathy took a loan on her Sydney home and sent the money to America. She should now have a good steady income. Positive cash flow, as Dymphna and Westan are so fond of mentioning.

According to Kathy, for the first couple of months everything went well. Genesis was sending her the money.

But then, suddenly, there were growing gaps in the payments. By February 2007, the payments stopped completely.

When she tried to contact James Graham, the devout Christian, he was always hard to find.

In desperation, Kathy did what she should have done back in 2005. She contacted other agents in the area. And that's when she discovered what Westan and Alvin Johnson should have discovered.

The properties that Kathy had bought - all of which seemed so mouth-wateringly attractive - had all been purchased by James Graham at low prices and flipped to her at inflated prices.

Let's take another look at the numbers (with the benefit of good research)...

The first property, for which Kathy paid US$79,500 had been bought by James Graham for US$37,000.

The second property, for which Kathy paid US$51,900, had been bought by James Graham for US$11,000. Yes, that's right, eleven thousand dollars - and just two weeks before he on-sold it to Kathy for US$51,900.

The third property, for which Kathy paid US$34,900, had been bought by James Graham for US$13,000.

So, from just one Aussie investor (a single and seriously ill single mother), self-professed devout Christian James Graham made a quick gross profit of US$105,300 (which, in 2005, amounted to around $160,000 Aussie dollars).

"I am committed to running this business with Godly principles and for His glory, not mine," says James Graham on his web site.

Today, in 2007, Kathy's situation is so dire, she barely has enough money to feed her boys. She says she cannot afford her cancer medicines.

"Because of the misery Genesis have done to our lives, we now live on the bread line," said Kathy.

Kathy is not alone.

According to Michelle Johnson (no relation to Westan and Alvin), a housing clerk in Buffalo who has been trying to warn non-local investors about the flipping scammers, "Hundreds of properties around Buffalo have been bought by Aussie investors."

As for the future of the district that Westan and Alvin Johnson claimed to have "spent time on the ground" and had "investigated", here's what Michelle told us, "Buffalo is a city that had many factories which have now all closed. There used to be 570,000 people here; now we are down to about 260,000. We have 14,000 vacant properties in the city."

As for James Graham and Daniel Glushefski, Michelle has this to say, "They are Holy Roller scammers. Scam on your own. Leave God out of it."

Today, in 2007, Dymphna Boholt is promoting herself on YOUTUBE with her arm around a woman telling her that she can replace her income in 90 days. Try telling that to Kathy who invested with your American co-seminar presenters.

And Westan Johnson now runs International Property Consulting Pty Ltd with a bloke called Frank Stace. Their web site is called Global Property Deals in which Westan boasts that he "was one of the first Australians to facilitate investment interest into the Buffalo NY market".

His web site says, "If you are a property investor, and interested in considering good cash flow and capital growth investments throughout the USA, Australia, and New Zealand - you are at the right place! It doesn't get much easier than this." For whom does he mean?

Again, try telling that to Kathy and all those investors involved in their own USA investing nightmare.

They are living an American tragedy.

FOOTNOTE: We asked both Westan Johnson and Dymphna Boholt for a comment.

Westan Johnson says that he "has not recommended investing in Buffalo, Rochester, or the NY state area since Nov 05. Neither have I had transactions with James Graham since June 05 (from memory). In fact I have been publicly discouraging investors from these markets."

Yea, well, that's a bit like James Hardie saying they no longer recommend asbestos.

Dymphna Boholt said, "I attended [the seminars] purely as a guest speaker on Asset protection and Taxation Structures in the US.

Both then and now my message is clear that the US market is just like any other and due diligence should be carried out on any purchase and on any market."

Yes, and clearly investors should do extra due diligence whenever Dymphna Boholt is speaking.
    Also posted on his website.

The post has been pulled off Somersoft awaiting Mods discussion.

Regards
    Last edited by jenny_pt; 21-03-2016, 12:14 PM.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

So what's the point of Jenman's article? Someone buys 3 properties in the USA now they are in financial trouble. It alludes to the person paying too much but with the high yeilds is that really the reason for their financial difficulty? The article doesn't say whether it a property management problem, economic problem in the town, or perhaps even a financial problem of the buyers own doing.

It seems that Jenman's gripe is the finder made a killing on it.

Gerrard

Comment

Hey Gerrard,

It smacks of the wool being pulled over the eyes of the purchaser. The geographical nature of the transaction would make DD difficult. I would wonder if the areas comparible sales, high vacancy rate, market rents, & declining population were made available/obvious to the purchaser.

The message highlights a number of things.
      1. The importance of DD.
      2. How risky buying out of your area of expertise can be.
      3. How gullible some people are.
      4. How heartless some people are.

Cheers,
      M

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
        Hey Gerrard,

It smacks of the wool being pulled over the eyes of the purchaser. The geographical nature of the transaction would make DD difficult. I would wonder if the areas comparible sales, high vacancy rate, market rents, & declining population were made available/obvious to the purchaser.

The message highlights a number of things.
        1. The importance of DD.
        2. How risky buying out of your area of expertise can be.
        3. How gullible some people are.
        4. How heartless some people are.

Cheers,
        M
        Can't say I've read a lot from Jenman but found this high on emotion and low on specifics of the problem. I guess that's what it takes to make news sell (and avoid being taken to court...)

Gerrard

Comment

DANIEL GLUSHEFSKI
          American spruiker threatens legal action.

To: Neil Jenman

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:48 AM

Subject: Slanderous News Article

Mr. Jenman,

First I would like to state you do not deserve a response from me on your slanderous article but for the sake of accuracy and my reputation , Westan's reputation and the name of Jesus Christ I will respond even though I was never given the courteousy of defending myself in the first place.

You mentioned in your article I have a rather dubious reputation in Buffalo but never mention any backing on who said this except later by Michelle Johnson. Michelle Johnson states that I am a holy roller scammer.
          What Miss Johnson did not say, or maybe she did and you CONVIENTLY left it out is that Miss Johnson invited me to her movie she made on house flipping and scamming which I attended and she invited me to an anti flipping task force meeting which I went to and that I called the anti flipping task force and asked for a meeting and sat with the head of the board for over 1 hour and answered every question they asked about my buying and reselling Real Estate in which after they told me what I did was NOT doing anything illegal.

As I told them and I tell every one who asks, I purchase Real Estate,which is mismanaged or in some type of financial duress or that someone wants to sell quickly, remodel the property and rent it and then resell it. Not to just Australians but to local investors, NY City investors and alot of US and abroad investors. There has never been any secret and never a scam as you call it . A scam is fraud, I will hold you and Miss Johnson and any one else who makes a slanderous statement about myself or my business dealings accountable, and if it continues consider legal action.

Miss Johnson probably conveniently left out that she called me and demanded I stop flipping properties in her neighborhood. I told her I would not stop reselling properties but I offered her the opportunity to inspect the house on Hazelwood that she was referring to, that I just remodeled. She did so and called me back and said it was nice and later told me, " Dan I do not have a problem with what you are doing".

Further more here are the facts, I have been buying and selling Real Estate in Buffalo for 25 years now. It is on my website my history and yes my Christian testimony. I have never been sued, owe no outstanding judgements, taxes or any debts.
          I have a good working relationship with the City of Buffalo housing inspectors, in 25 years I have been in housing court 2 times, in both cases resolved quickly.
          I have been a licenced Real Estate Broker for 20 years and have never had any reprimands for any illegal activity ever. Am I perfect, no , have I made mistakes, yes everyday. Have I lied or defrauded any investor, NO. What would you criticize me for if I was not a Christian????? As I asked the anti flipping task force, Is it illegal to buy and sell Real Estate for profit. Doesn't every car dealer, clothing manufacturer, every antique dealer, sports card dealer, etc.. try to buy as low as possible and sell for as high as the market will bare????
          It is not illegal to buy and sell Real Estate for profit. In addition to the City of Buffalo I have purchased over 100 pieces of property in ths Suburbs, some being very high priced properties for cash and resold for large profits. No one complained but a few neighbors and town officials thanked me for cleaning up the property and getting it back on the tax rolls. Unfortunately no one in Buffalo has ever done that.
          Alot of town officials believe flipping is destroying neighborhoods in Buffalo. As I have asked City officials, Tell me how can buying a run down property , remodeling it, renting it out and reselling it destroy a neighborhood?????

What IS destroying some of these neighborhoods is neglegent tenants not paying rent and doing damage to properties, criminals and crime, in some cases drug dealers and in a much smaller case poor landlords and fraudulant flippers, which are guys who buy, misinform purchasers and then sell run down properties for near the same prices that me and others are selling good sound properties in much better neighborhoods.

I am sincerely sorry for Kathy and anyone else who has been hurt in a sale. When someone loses a fortune or even a small amount in the Stock Market is it a scam??? On any loss in any investment is it a scam? I do not know what happened in Kathy's case but I do know that after properties are sold it is critical to have sound management.

If management is poor there is potential for great loss. Every property I have sold is like kind to the hundred or so I bought for myself and held the first 15 years I bought Real Estate. In those 15 years I had less than a 5% vacancy rate.
          In the last 5 years I have had less than a 1% vacancy rate on properties I own and manage. I unfortunately cannot control the property once I have sold it however in several cases I have conducted free repairs for my clients up to as much as $3,000. I warranty for three months the roof, furnace, electrical and all major repairs.
          I have paid for a new sewer line, $1,500, new furnaces $1,500 and new roofs. In several cases I have also conducted repairs at cost to save my investors money on a bid they recieved from a private contractor.

Many news articles are written hastily for BUSINESS sake and RATINGS. How sincere are you Mr. Jenman when yoiu have judged someone incorrectly or made a statement that has hurt somone unjustly?
          Have you made many corrections in the past on your news articles? If you really wanted to know the truth you should have taken the time and consideration to contact me, then you would have know both sides of the story that pertains to me.
          I take or answer within 24 hours every single call that I recieve, good or bad. I always have and will continue to do so. I have nothing to hide, that is why I made everything public on my website, with the task force and now with you. One last thing about the Christianity.

When I met Westan he warned me that many Ozzies will not look positively on my Christianity on my website. I told him no one else does either, it is always an open door to criticism. My Christianity is on my website because I have been saved by the blood of Christ dying for my sins. I own God everything.

Fortunately I do not have to live up to Michelle Johnson's or your standards, I have to be accountable to God. I am a sinner saved by grace, now that I am saved I am still a sinner saved by grace, not a good person or a perfect person. Many people who criticise Christians who are successful believe Christians do not have the same right as they do to make money. Do you believe you are a righteous man above any misdoings? Do you believe in God and if so do you believe you will enter Heaven on your own merrit. Do not be decieved, God is not mocked, you and I and all mankind will reap what we sow! Do some digging on those who have pointed fingers, I don't think you will be too surprised what you find. In almost every single court case in the world there are two opposing sides to the TRUTH. I will say no more on this matter.

As far as Westan Johnson is concerned I have not spoken with him yet and do not have permission to speak for him but I still have regard and respect for him and believe all his dealings with me were honest and forthright. Please respond to me within a reasonable time. It is my intent to get this matter as it pertains to me corrected in your newspaper and that anything further that is printed is ACCURATE, CORRECT and the whole TRUTH!

Dan Glushefski

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

And Neil Jenman's reply

Mr Grushefski, you seem incapable of grasping some basic points about ethics and decency; indeed, about life in general. So, I will explain some points to you.

Point 1. Your rambling message is all about you. You mentioned yourself a staggering 92 times. You mentioned Kathy twice.

Kathy is a sick single mother who is battling to support three children after dealing with your buddy James Graham. As stated in my article, she is typical of the sort of person that you and Graham prey upon.

Point 2. Don't pull that holier-than-thou Christian con game with me. As one of your many critics said, "Leave God out of your scam."

Point 3. Because you don't seem to understand the difference between "profit" and "scam", I will explain it to you...

When you sell properties that are massively over-priced, when you take advantage of buyers' lack of knowledge and when you know that the properties you are flogging are often worth less than half the price for which you sell them, that's a scam.

Point 4. I will go one step further with your spurious, "Is it illegal to buy and sell real estate for a profit?" line.

When you make a buyer believe that a property is being sold at its true market value - and you know the property is obscenely over-priced - you have obtained a financial advantage for yourself by using deception. That's fraud. While I am not a lawyer, I believe what you are doing is criminal.

Point 5. You say that Michele Johnson "invited" you to view her movie on flipping. Well, in my country, there is a man called Kevin Rudd. He is our new Prime Minister. Kevin invited me to vote for him. Oh yes, he really did. Neil and Kevin. Just like you and Michele.

But wait, Kevin also invited every other Australian to vote for him. Just like Michele Johnson invited everyone to see her movie.

Point 6. Don't come to my country and spruik your despicable schemes to my country-folk. My only regret, in your case, is that I didn't warn Aussies about you earlier. If you and your dodgy pal, James Graham, ever come here again, I will do everything I possibly can to warn Aussies about you. I won't make the same mistake (of ignoring you) twice.

Point 7. My article cited an example of just one person (Kathy) who bought property in Buffalo and Rochester after you and your dodgy pal came to our country.

The two Australians who unleashed you on the Australian public were Westan Johnson and his brother Alvin Johnson. Like you, they both "advertise" that they are Christians.

Last week, I pleaded with Alvin Johnson to show some "Christian compassion" and give some of his fortune to Kathy who is now almost destitute after investing in New York state. Alvin hung up on me (after I suggested the Australian public needed to be made more aware of these scams).

Call yourself a Christian? Well, come on. Offer to buy back ALL properties that you sold to any Australian investor who is not satisfied.

After all, you and James Graham and Westan and Alvin Johnson told investors what great deals you were offering. You can now have these great deals back for yourselves. Unless, of course, this is just a scam. In which case, you can all hang up on me, abuse me and threaten me.

But you won't get rid of me. I will never rest while ever you are targeting Australian investors. I want a sign on your web site saying that Australians are not allowed to buy (which means be "ripped off") from your company.

And that brings me, finally, to my last point.

Point 8. In your message, you said: "A scam is fraud, I will hold you and any one else who makes a slanderous statement about myself or my business dealings accountable, and if it continues consider legal action."

Well, hold me responsible for saying you are involved in a scam. You can also hold me responsible for saying that you (and your cronies) have fraudulently conned Australians to invest with you.

Fraud. Scam. Con. Perfect words, in my opinion, to describe what you are doing.

So, go ahead, take legal action. But don't you dare take any action which involves trying to sell properties to Aussies.

We have enough spruikers in our own country. We don't need to import more.

http://www.jenman.com.au/news_question.php?id=254

Comment

Wow cutting and to the point.

Comment

Where is the evidence that the properties sold to Kathy were over-priced? What are the properties worth now?

It sounds like Grushefski is buying foreclosed properties which you can get for what the bank is owed. He obviously renovates then on-sells. What is wrong with that?

Buying in another country requires DD and good management. I am sad for Kathy but what has she done to ensure her properties are managed properly? She would be in financial difficulty if the rent wasn't being paid. If the property value has dropped because of the market then that is a risk you have to take with IP. But the hurt will come if she has no tenants.

I have met Frank Stace - he is a Kiwi Dad doing what we all are doing but he has looked geographically further than most of us. This does not mean he's a scammer or a thief. Westan Johnson and Frank Stace encourage people to go to the US and do their own due diligence.

Neil Jenman needs more facts before he starts calling people crims. People looking at Neil Jenman's comments should also balance those with this website. http://www.jenman.org/
                Last edited by rueben; 12-12-2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I dont always agree with Jenman but

On this occasion I would suggest extreme caution. The biggest problem that I have is if you charge a person a fee to provide a service then you should also accept responsibility if something goes wrong. By that I do not mean that prices may go up or down that can happen in any market. It is also stated that Weston has not recommended upper State New York since 2005. So what has changed.

In many cases people found that they could not get finance and property management was very poor. If you are going to promote a service to overseas investors then all of these things should be worked out in advance.

If you are interested in investing in the United States I would strongly suggest that you seek independant advice from both a property solicitor and an accountant in the United States. Also deal with a good finance broker their. Once you have done the research go to the State of interest and research the market. All of these things take time. If you do not wish to invest the time dont bother. A good tip is to look at small apartment complexes they cashflow well. Dont fall for cheap houses they are normally in slum areas.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH

Remember its your money, investing in the United States can be a a grat experience it can also be a nightmare.

Comment

Westan is a thief. He has absconded with Millions of $$$ from Australian investors (including me) and living in Texas. I have been trying to get my $300,000 back for 4 Years and there are hundreds more people in the same boat. Westan is currently under federal investigation...please be careful of this man. #Scam Artist #Ponzi scheme

Comment

You're resurrecting a very old thread Texas but what you say is correct. One of his main business partners is an honest guy but Westan took lots of people. The person he stole the most from died tragically last year so he may well get away with a lot of his bad behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                      X