Tenant wants to replace carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant wants to replace carpet

Our tenant wants to replace the carpet in the lounge at their own expense as they say the existing cream carpet is too difficult to keep clean.
    We are wondering what the situation would be regarding ownership of the carpet at the end of the tenancy?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Waterboy

I'd suggest it's theirs, they bought it they own it, no different from a TV or stereo...although in reality are they going to take it at the end of the rental?

I'd keep the old carpet safe till the end of the rental term just in case they take it, otherwise just sit back and enjoy the free carpet laying!!

LK

Comment

Suppose they take the carpet at the end of the tenancy.

What will it cost you to get your old carpet relayed? Will you be able to organise a layer to do it in the time it needs to be done?

Tell them to get a rug and lay it over the existing carpet.

Regarding the ownership at the end of the tenancy, this would obviously be a matter to be decided by mutual agreement.

I personally would not entertain this idea.

Paul.

Comment

why not reach an agreement to pay for the carpet yourself but increase the rent to cover the cost? or alternatively make an arrangement to pay for the carpet but the tenant pay the cost of laying it?

Comment

If they're that concerned with protecting the existing carpet, and they're prepared to pay for new carpet, then why didn't they just have the room area measured up as one huge rug,.....lay it over your carpet and say nothing. EASY!

It'll be cheaper and easier. Plus they can take it with them when they leave.

Comment

YOU buy the carpet from them and pay them to install it, in each case for a nominal amount.

xris

Comment

I would say let them lay the new carpet but a condition is that at the end of the tenancy it stays .. I like my teants to treat the house as they would their own

Comment

Wow, wish my tenants were that eager to do..well anything.

I wouldn't accept the offer, especially if they want to choose the carpet...good bye neutral cream hello purple and green patterns!

Offer to lay new carpeting but their rent will increase as you have made an improvement to the dwelling.

Comment

Working...
                X