Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent-to-own home trashed

Hi Guys

News item in the South Waikato News this week.

Rent-to-own home trashed.
    by Nick Silvester

Around $20,000 of damage was done to a Tokoroa rental property recently and police are set to bring charges against those involved.

The property is one of about 100 in the area owned by Mike Hyams, of Enigma Residential Ltd, who had a rent-to-own agreement with the tenants.

However after the tenants got into arrears with the rent they were asked to vacate the premises. the damage was done soon after.

Mr Hyams described the house as "systematically and willfully destroyed."

The house looked like a tornado had ripped through it. Nearly every window was broken, there were multiple holes in the walls, including some large enough for a person to fit through. Furniture was smashed and scattered throughout the house, along with clothes and rubbish. The kitchen was filthy and there were faeces in the laundry.

Mr Hyams informed the police and, although unable to take action for the damage done by the tenant while in the house, police believe a significant amount of damage was done by others after the tenant moved out. Tokoroa Police said a neighbour alerted them to activity at the house and they interviewed three people; two face charges of wilful damage.

Mr Hyams said he was contacted anonymously and warned there was going to be a house trashing party at the premises on Guy Fawkes night. His son spoke with tenants so this did not occur but a real estate agent went to the property a few days later and found the extensive damage.

Mr Hyams said insurance covered only the damage done by outsiders not the tenant, so he was unsure how much of the estimated $20,000 damge they could claim. He had never before seen damage to this extent.

"Sometimes you have a bit of damage; a bit of a mess or the odd broken window. Rent arrears is not uncommon but, for people to systematically go out and trash a place, that's never happened," he said.
    Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

It is always a shame when this sort of thing turns bad.

I wonder if there is more to the story? Was there bad tenant landlord communication also?

Anybody know what type of rent to own it was? The old school Wraps had a bad name with tenants.

Comment

Hi Whitt

Check out
      Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...

Regards
      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Cheers. They have quite a few listings at present. That will keep them busy.

Comment

I can't believe he didn't have proper insurance!!

Comment

Here's a listing for the actual house trashed:

Find your dream home in New Zealand with Trade Me. Browse our full range of NZ real estate listings to discover the perfect property for families, couples and s...
            We Buy Houses | Sell Your House Fast - No Fees, No Stress

Comment

Interesting to note that the main shareholder of Enigma Residential Ltd is Useless Holdings Ltd.

Comment

Interesting to note that the main shareholder of Enigma Residential Ltd is Useless Holdings Ltd.
                Now that is funny!!

Comment

It is surprising about the insurance. My insurance covers this (and we have had to use it once - although not as much malicious damage as this - but it still cost $20K to redo the house).

However, it is a newspaper article, which we all know probably has errors in it!!!

John

Comment

$20K damage in Tokoroa?

What did they do? Level the house and remove a good portion of the land?

Paul.

(P.S. No angry PMs please muppet)

Comment

Probably an error in the news item - damage is damage regardless of who does it (as long as it's not done by you or you instructed it etc) don't you think?

Cheers,

Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hey stop knocking Tok!

Hi to all. This is my first 'posting' and being an adopetd Tok girl I thought I had better add to the thread.

I actually think the whole article gave the guy who does the rent-to-owns some free advertising. I know of a woman who was thinking of signing up with him for a rent-to-buy on Friday. As they say, any publicity is good publicity!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDad View Post
                          $20K damage in Tokoroa?

What did they do? Level the house and remove a good portion of the land?

Paul.

(P.S. No angry PMs please muppet)
                          Nice one SD!!

Comment

Ahhhh Paul

Timber and wallboard and all that type of stuff costs the same weather you live in Hamilton, Tokoroa, Mangakino or Waikickamoocow.
                            Glass to replace the broken windows is also the same price here as in Hamilton.

Builders hourly rates are about the same here as there.
                            Unless you happen to be a jack-of-all-trades and can do the work for zero dollars/hour.

At least this thrashing was reported in a newspaper whereas Housing Corp thrashing are kept under wraps.

Mind you emjay7 usually deals in the older, smaller type of house in Tokoroa as is shown on Trademe that generally appeals to the poorer paid.

Regards
                            Last edited by muppet; 25-11-2007, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X