No announcement yet.

Tribunal orders are on line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agrrr dont even get me started on the shitty search for TT orders search. I took on a rat bag of a tenant because his name didnt show up. Because his last name was started with Mc....didnt search with the uppercase letter. Turns out he has had a series of problems with older landloard. Anyway lesson learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by webhostienz View Post
      agrrr dont even get me started on the shitty search for TT orders search. I took on a rat bag of a tenant because his name didnt show up. Because his last name was started with Mc....didnt search with the uppercase letter. Turns out he has had a series of problems with older landloard. Anyway lesson learned.
      I just wonder if the lovely lefties at MBIE have purposely put some of these problems into the system to make it harder to catch people.
      Some of the problems and mysterious missing cases can not just be random. They happen too often.
      Any comments readers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Also if you have entered the address with no result just try putting in the street name without a number.
        Amazing how many cases have been filed with the wrong street number..
        Thanks Glenn - hadn't thought of that.

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        when I did a TINZ credit check TINZ came up with the case reference?
        I believe that this is 'cos LL's can upload TT judgements to TINZ (provided they've met all privacy requirements have been met and statements agreed to) regardless of whether they've been made public on the MoJ site.

The aliases often come up on Veda / TINZ.
        From my experience Centrix doesn't provide that info. Better to run with Veda?

"friend / flat mate" who is going to live with them
        I've been mulling this over for a bit. My application form asks for info for each adult occupant, and my TA has all of them listed (jointly and severally liable), plus maximum numbers of adults / children permitted at the address.

But how to prove somebody else is living there, and not just 'a friend visiting for a few days'?

people with the same name
        Ask for a photo on the application, and match it to the ID provided? May help you with Google and FB searches? Only problem is if you're dealing with cheaper rentals likely tenants might struggle to scan / upload / send the info?

The chances of two different people with the same name also having the same named friend is pretty low
        Agreed. And you can quite often (subject to the 'low internet profile' comment below) search the friends people have listed on FB to see if you spot any trends / dodgy behaviour.

-----

Here's the thing though. I've been trawling TT decisions for a while now, and have been trying some 'after the event' credit checks on especially bad tenants to see how well I'd go. Try as I might, I haven't come up with very many hits, on the DoJ database or otherwise. (I'll try some of the things Glenn has suggested going forward as well).

The thing that's stood out to me so far is this - the especially bad tenants seem to have a very low internet profile. By that I mean:
        • No FB profile, using the following searches:
          • "People named <name> who live in New Zealand" excluding quotation marks
          • "<first name> <last name>" - including quotation marks. Try all variants of their names. If you get some hits, search the friends they have listed to see if they sound familiar, seem to live in NZ, seem to be sketchy.

• There is a FB profile of the same name, but it's shut down so that there is: No timeline, No 'About', No friends and / or No Photos
        • Nothing on LinkedIn
        • Nothing on Google searching "<(all variants of) tenant name> site:.nz"
        • And if the above search doesn't work, leave off the "site:.nz". Won't work for common names (e.g. Mark Smith), but sometimes will show up a few suggestions, married alternatives etc.

I'd be interested in everybody's thoughts.
        Last edited by BigWal; 10-11-2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• How many people use sobriquets / nicknames on
          faceache? Or isn't that allowed? (Supposedly)

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
            How many people use sobriquets / nicknames on
            faceache? Or isn't that allowed? (Supposedly)
            Good point. Theoretically it's not allowed, but I have seen people do it. And there's no easy way around that - I guess you have to hope TINZ / Veda etc. come up with something in that case.

The thing is though - people on FB want their friends to find them, which is easiest done automatically through FB, when you have a 'real' name. If somebody has a nickname they essentially have to hand craft their network by passing the nickname out to people they know.

---------------

Anyway - IMO I'd definitely look harder at an application if I can't find something about somebody on FB / LinkedIn / Google.

One last thing - I mentioned doing a Google search along the lines of "<name> site:.nz", which is what I've been using. However, I've just tested it against myself, and I didn't get as many hits as I thought.

I then tried "<name> NZ", and bingo. Lot's more hits, so I guess I've learned something new.

Comment

• Given my FB profile is almost non-existent I may have problems renting then?

Comment

• FB plus Google plus LinkedIn. Oh yeah - companies register too, sometimes.

And on a slightly different note, if you have an address of a property you can pay a small fee to look up the owners on QV - not much use for tenants, I know, but can be useful to check that the landlord in their application does actually own the property in question. There are obviously holes in that approach too, but it's better than nothing.

Each to their own, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigWal View Post
                  but can be useful to check that the landlord in their application does actually own the property in question.
                  *ring ring* "hello?" Hi, my name is John and I have a credit application from (name of tenant) who has put you down as a reference. Could I ask? How do you know (name of tenant)?

Think about it. It works well.

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

FB plus Google plus LinkedIn. Oh yeah - companies register too, sometimes.

And on a slightly different note, if you have an address of a property you can pay a small fee to look up the owners on QV - not much use for tenants, I know, but can be useful to check that the landlord in their application does actually own the property in question. There are obviously holes in that approach too, but it's better than nothing.

Each to their own, I guess.
                    Don't waste your money paying for information that you can get free.
                    You should be using the LINZ site. This gives the various lots on each site and the owners of each of them along with other land information. This service is free.
                    I think Core logic purchase their data off LINZ.
                    You can make better use of Core logic data by using both QV and Terranet. There are subtle differences in their search facilities that permit you to often get free information like the total property portfolio of a person.
                    The other site you should be using is PIPL.
                    Sure facebook is my prime site and yes by looking at the various friends and how stoned they look is a great clue giver.
                    I must admit I used to deal with the bottom level tenants who appear no where apart from Mc Vicar's site.
                    It is possible to house these people and make a living out of it. However the margins and a few other things need to be high to cover the damage and defaults.
                    One can not really expect to find an on line presence for an applicant that has been in jail for the last 10 years apart from Mc Vicars sites.
                    I do note that Google does not pick up names on his lists?

Comment

• Who or what are PIPL?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        Who or what are PIPL?
                        pipl.com
                        You can narrow down the search to New Zealand only or search on emails and other identifying information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                          Yes I managed to get tribunal hearing 15/02999/CH printed out from the MOJ web site. She was evicted on 25 November 2015 from 132 Emmett Street Shirley. She owed $409 rent on the day of the hearing which was greater than 21 days in arrear.
                          I could not find the case awarding HNZ $20,000. So I am really interested in how the story got to Stuff. The $20000 case would have been a second application to cover the cleaning costs.
                          There is no way the tenant would have given it to them so clearly HNZ must be feeding their cases of interest to the stuff.
                          Tenancy Services are saying to random callers like me as of last week that there is an urgent need for a law change and that we should all be talking to our local MP's about the need for the law change.
                          Just what is going on. When I talked to Dr Nick Smith MP in January he was real keen to have a law change for the benefit of HNZ to gain quicker access to abandoned properties.
                          I smell a rat here. Does anyone know what is happening.
                          Perhaps a good thing to post on Facebook!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                            I could not find the case awarding HNZ $20,000.
                            TT ruling is now up here.

Ruling was 'issued' on 27 April, but who knows how long it took to be loaded on the MoJ website.

Not sure how the adjudicator determined that "the methamphetamine contamination occurred during the tenancy". No mention of testing before the tenancy started, so I would have loved to have been at the hearing.

Comment

TT ruling is now up here.

Ruling was 'issued' on 27 April, but who knows how long it took to be loaded on the MoJ website.

Not sure how the adjudicator determined that "the methamphetamine contamination occurred during the tenancy". No mention of testing before the tenancy started, so I would have loved to have been at the hearing.
                              Well done BigWal. That case was just loaded yesterday or today.
                              I have figured out how to make the MOJ site do a few tricks!!!!!
                              As with all learning I still have some tricks to discover. I am sure there are more.
                              Perhaps we should have a discussion forum on how to get the best out of the site!
                              On the 27 April there were 16 cases in Christchurch that have been posted on the site. Case number 4010387 (Amy Humphries) is the second to last one to be posted.
                              I have attempted to find another P case in Christchurch. I have even tried to find one in Nelson where I know that there was a P clean up but could not find one.
                              Perhaps there might be another forum member who has laboriously scrolled through all the cases and found some ???
                              Re "how the adjudicator determined that the contamination occurred during the tenancy" that is also a matter I have thought about a few times.
                              I moaned to our local adjudicator once how HNZ seemed to be able to get things awarded that I failed on.
                              She invited me to submit more items for approval. She even said she did not really know how many hours we spent on cleaning. Hint hint.
                              Since when has the tribunal been about fairness and good law applications.
                              One rule for HNZ another for property managers and another for the great unwashed.

Comment

• Thanks Glenn. I just got lucky - I like to practice researching prospective tenants. On a different note ...

On the 27 April there were 16 cases in Christchurch that have been posted on the site.
                                Are you able to tell me how you found this out? In particular, for a specific date, and for a specific location?

Now they've moved to the 'single reference number' system it's a lot harder to find a bunch of successive decisions (which I think is why they changed it, but maybe I'm just being cynical)

Comment

Working...
                                X