• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hmmm interesting, thankyou for the link. I wonder then if the NZ govt has backed down from full crown ownership of all CC's except those who were registering under the carbon sink initiative.....

We are going to apply for an exemption for our trees after 1/1/08 which is also an alternative.
    S.

Default Forestry info.

Thankyou for the link, I viewed it briefly, and awaiting further official updates from MAF re forestry and CC ownership, which I believe has now been backdated until 1/7/08 (from the original 1/1/08.

I await their decisions and outcomes before making a determination of the lifespan of our own forestry land.

My initial understanding is the light is certainly brighter for us than the proposals of 8 months ago, as a pre 1989 forestry owners....

Let's wait and see what the results are. We haven't taken a chain saw (yet) to ours......
    Last edited by NESW; 14-03-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: smilie keeps getting in the way of my date!
    S.

Default #14 ltd now available

New forest #14 now available.
    Check out the options, - http://www.forestlands.co.nz/offers.html

On September 10 (2008 ), I attended an evening function at the Beehive in Minister for Energy and Climate Change David Parker’s office to celebrate the passing of the ETS Bill.

It is great to finally achieve our objective after fighting for more than five years to ensure that post 1990 forest owners received what is rightfully ours.

With all the politics that have surrounded the development of this Bill the Government has been left with few friends and it was ironical to stand in the Ministers office last night and realise that post 1989 foresters who had fought them so vigorously on their forest green house proposals are now one of the few friends Government has in regard to their climate change legislation.

Where to from now?
    KFA will need to remain vigilant to ensure that future amendments or changes to the Bill do not water down the value of our rights that we have fought so hard to gain. Already the value of our credits has been diminished by the fact that Government has delayed bringing Transport into the equation, however, we can be thankful that the Greens and National have both had some effect in eliminating the inclusion of Hot Air Credits from Russia. These “dirty credits” would have had the effect of lowering the value of our “green” carbon credits.

Over the coming months we will begin discussing options that arise for us as post 1989 forest owners. In the meantime the trees keep growing accumulating wood and credits. We now have a whole new income option to consider when we look at our forests. Exciting times are ahead.

Regards

Roger Dickie
    Indeed good news for forestry owners. Is ironical a word

G

There are some substantial articles in November's Country Wide Northern edition that covers more detail than previously available for forestry properties such as ours with pre 1989 forestry.

Nothing that reassures us as Owners that our forestry will at some future point become income producing, but rather new annual reporting fees etc will have to be found by us.

From the little I have read to date, we are being encouraged not to cash in our CC's at all, as if we do, and deforest in 5 years time when our trees have matured, we will be subject to repaying much more expensive CC's in return. So the land remains non income producing, less and less grazing is available for sheep, horses and associated livestock, and another set of fees will have to be paid to report to the 'authorities' on our trees.

Also its worthy as forestry owners for people to check out their local treatment/log handling plants. Our local one is not replacing certain equipment and the trees we have earmarked for posts will not be able to be stripped at our local plant now.

We will have to manually do it ourselves with an axe or such like (there is a proper word that eludes me at the moment to describe the proper way of saying debarking).

Anyhow as forestry owners I am not terribly excited to date, my neighbours who would like us to deforest to a certain point (too much shade and overhang on their properties) are not excited about the proposition, so I guess it just leaves the townie end of the country to be excited that maybe they have found the perfect christmas gift at last, carbon credit trading....
    S.

Thread Information