What really drives you crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What really drives you crazy?

I have tenants in a stand-alone house right across town from where I live.
    They are supposed to pay the rent weekly, directly into my bank account.
    The week goes past, no rent arrives. They're not on the phone.
    I drive over there in the weekend afternoon and knock on the door. This wakes them up, as they are all sound asleep, either in bed or wrapped up in sleeping bags on the living room floor.
    Yes they have the rent, in cash. They give it to me. Yes they meant to pay it into the bank, but they were too busy/too tired/not out/not in/too hot/too cold, or some other excuse. And exactly the same thing will happen next week, regardless of what I say.

I find this remarkably annoying. I too would like to kip the afternoon away, but I'm too busy having (among other things) to drive for an hour and a half to collect the damn rent.

What tenant actions do you find incredibly annoying, unrelated to the magnitude of the offence, just because it is so damn unthinking?

Perhaps this is because they have an accommodating landlord who is so good as come and pick up the rent personally.

Comment

How much to get in?

Comment

Well, that's up to you innit it?

As long as you're getting it, then that's all good.

If it's a problem, then serve the appropriate notice and get it sorted.

We have these and similar problems with tenants that also live close by, but we really just grin and bear it........to an extent.

What I do in situations like this is start going around to collect it earlier and earlier each time, and then they soon get the idea that maybe it would just be easier to get off their fat, lazy, arses and set up the payments.

Hey, ...I'm already up anywhere at sparrows fart, so I don't give a fats rat @#$% what time I wake them up!

Nice time of morning around 6am for a walk and the dogs appreciate the walk anyhow.

Comment

You're getting a weekly inspection plus the rent.
          Sounds good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
            You're getting a weekly inspection plus the rent.
            Sounds good to me!

Yeah!.....another good way to look at it.

Comment

Time wasters who just want to be nosey. I try to sift them out early but some manage to get through.

xris
              Last edited by xris; 20-09-2007, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                Time wasters who just want to be nosey. I try to sift them out early but some fall through the net.

xris
                I agree,...I've got better things to do than be a 'property tour guide'!

My mother does the same thing with open homes,.. just goes along to be nosey, when she isn't even remotely interested in buying a house.

Comment

A friend of mine has inlaws from Europe. When they are visiting NZ he makes a point of dropping in to open homes if happen to see them when out and about. They love seeing how Kiwis live. Maybe a pain for the agent but actually a pretty good idea I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                    I find this remarkably annoying. I too would like to kip the afternoon away, but I'm too busy having (among other things) to drive for an hour and a half to collect the damn rent.
                    The tenancy agreement should specify method of payment, so if they don't comply I would suggest serving them a notice immediately.

Is it really worth 1 1/2 hour of your time every week? I would assume not.
                    You have to decide what your time is worth. If you subtract 1.5x your hourly rate from their weekly payment, how does your cashflow look then...?
                    High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      The tenancy agreement should specify method of payment, so if they don't comply I would suggest serving them a notice immediately.

Is it really worth 1 1/2 hour of your time every week? I would assume not.
                      You have to decide what your time is worth. If you subtract 1.5x your hourly rate from their weekly payment, how does your cashflow look then...?
                      I don't know whether that I would get this anal about costs...surely?!!

Comment

1.5 hours times 52 weeks = 78 hours pr. year. That is two full work weeks spent on a single tenant.

Life is just too short for that I think.
                        High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

TIME
                          My thinking is closer to Rolf's.

xris

Comment

Idiotic tenants!!!

Okay, we all know we are in the business of property investing and with those of us with B&H's, there are tenants.

My biggest gripe - having to explain to tenants that I don't care if their car/cat/goldfish/relative collapsed/died, I don't want to know about their personal lives, that I don't care who they're bonking (or not!!), that they've got a ingrown wart/epilepsy/ESP.

I'm providing a building in which you have your life. No more, no less.

Respect my property, pay your rent on time BUT I DON'T WANT TO LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR YOU!!

Rant over.
                            Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Your tenants are only as good as your properties, invest in crap properties you will get crap tenants.

Comment

Working...
                              X