Andrew King on National Radio this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts

The interviewer angled it enough, with inferences, to make it sound that the LL's were putting up the rents just to make the tenants suffer.

The comments by Andrew King that rates/ins/mortgages were going up (and thus rents had to follow) was not addressed by the interviewer (deliberately?).

More ppl are renting because of choice NOT because they can't afford to buy their own home. There are many tenants out there that have much higher incomes that our combined family income. They choose to rent because

a. No responsibility of maintenance, rates, insurance, mortgages
    b. They can changes their minds re their jobs or which country they choose to live in.
    c. They simply don't want to make hard decisions.

The Government did not react quickly enough in 2003/2004 when interest rates were so low. Forward thinking investors could see that houses were cheap and there was a huge potential for capital gain, therefore many many ppl became landlords. Hey, we're told we have to be responsible for our own retirement, right?

Why is it the private sector LL's that are being blamed for rent rises?? Previous Governments have sold off housing stock and therefore there is a shortage now. Those ppl who don't qualify for HNZ houses have to rent somewhere. More people want to rent, less houses available - a simple supply/demand equation.

How about the Government/radio interviewers et al, stop being PC and tell it the way it is. If you can't afford to buy your own home, you have to rent. If there aren't enough houses, there will be a "bidding" war between potential tenants.

Of course, HNZ tenants aren't going to move. Why should they?? A recent HNZ tenant came to me and wanted to rent my large three bedroom house. I thought it was advertised about right in the middle of the market rental range ($190). The tenant was shocked - HE IS PAYING $78 PER WEEK WITH HNZ!! and he stated, there was no way he could afford to pay that much, he had a new RAV4 to pay for. *sigh* It's all about priorities.

As for Helen Gatonyi and her view that the lower socio-economic renters are being taken advantage off. She's absolutely right. Who caused the problem - the government.

Don't be misled by the smoke and mirrors being put out by the Government.

As responsible people, who happen to be LL's, we are doing what we think is right for our future. It just so happens we use investing in property and being LL's as the way to do that. If we all invested in R&D, what would the government do then.

It's only by the fact that the private LL's are an easily identified group that we are being blamed for the housing problems.

Another piece of fluff interviewing.
    Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Great stuff, essence, thank you very much.
      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
      X