Andrew King on National Radio this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew King on National Radio this morning

I'm not sure if they're pre-recording or going straight to air but Andrew will be with the National Radio people and Clayton Cosgrove this morning discussing changes to the Tenancy regulations.

It'll be interesting to see what gets discussed!
    Charging enough rent?
    NZ Scams to Avoid
    Add a sleepout to your rental property

I hope he is going to talk about the nasty extra clauses slipped in after DBH consultation process. Things like tenants not being responsible for trashing houses by simply claiming they did not intend for the party to get out of hand.
    Also the water outgoings charges are still up in the air.
    And I wonder what the current status is re real estate agents ability to charge letting fees. Yet another special interest group has rights that no one else has.

Actually my bet is the legislation will not get passed by this current administration. With Taito Field sitting on the fence I can see he would favour the interests of the Pacific Islanders. The RTA for the first time is making the over population of flats an unlawful act.
    Pacific Islands are a significant cause of this action so I can see they would be keen for that clause to be taken out.

Comment

Radio

I heard him being interviewed yesterday Tuesday. So it may be too late already.
      OllyN
      OllyN [email protected]
      Independent Property Consultant
      Residential and Commercial Solutions

Comment

Radio NZ has the audio on the net.

Listen to the audio from here:

Also Helen Gatonyi from the Tenants Protection Association interviewed on Monday
        The Son of Glenn

Comment

How do we provide good houses to poor people?

I have now listened to both programs. I must say I was not impressed. Especially with the interviewer.

The interviewer wanted to link the report about the prediction of increasing numbers of tenants with substandard housing and affordability of housing. None of the interviews established that link.

Helen Gatonyi raised three valid issues:
          1) Some families move to different school areas too often. A child moving schools too often means poorer outcomes for the child.
          2) Poor families are living in overcrowded, damp & cold houses.
          3) There is poor understanding of the existing RTA by just about everyone. Just to prove the point the interviewer then displayed her ignorance.

It is interesting that Helen Gatonyi said periodic tenancies were preferred by tenants & landlords because of the flexibility, but she wanted some way of giving "assurance of tenure".

There were no solutions raised to the above problems.

I think Andrew King answered well to the questions he was given. Again, no solutions or causes to above issues were found.

Both the interview of Helen Gatonyi and Andrew King had "repeated bits". I blame the interviewer for that.

I found that Clayton Cosgrove made the best use of interview time. However I suspect he has training to ensure that this happens.

However the interviewer did not get to what I think is the crux of the matter:
          How do we provide good houses to poor people?

What to the PTers think?

Keith
          The Son of Glenn

Comment

I thought this perennial argument of lack of stability and assured tenancy was very poorly answered by all parties.
            The Minister should have said he is changing the 90 day notice requirement to 180. Yes that is right 6 months.
            I let 15 to 20 properties per month. Of that number around 1 or 2 would be because I have moved the tenant on. The rest (by far the vast majority) are because tenants have given me notice. They leave because their jobs have shifted, relationships have changed, someone has moved out or in and so they need a bigger or smaller house, and so on.
            Some of the notices given are even those with fixed term tenancies. There is really little I can do about tenants who want to move. This is a symptom of society not a landlord tenant problem.
            Ratch ting up the notice requirement will mean the good tenants will suffer more. When a tenant becomes noisy, abusive to partners and neighbours, drug abusing, damages the property, collects cars, guns, and dogs the tribunal will not come to our aid. To get an eviction on the basis of an unlawful act one needs a district court ruling. This can take months if not years to work its way through the jammed up system.
            Cosgrove and his mates are destroying NZ society.

Comment

Clayton Cosgrove is having quite a time of it... you've heard about the boy racers getting organised? http://nzhondas.com/phpBB2/-vp866420.html
              Charging enough rent?
              NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

Will changes be made to the RTA

Probably not. The powers that be have been talking about making "significant " changes to it every since I have been in the business, well over 10 yrs, and nothing has really changed. With an election yr looming it again will be pput to the bottom of the pile.

Now I note that several mention providing housing for the poor. While many "poor" may rent there are many many people who are not poor who also choose to rent. The average rental on my rent roll would be $450 pwk and I have a few around the $1000, I also know of an investment apartment that rents for $3000.00 per week. Many own properties in other parts of the counrty and even the world but for many different reasons choose/need to rent at this time. I think many investment property owners think of their tenants as the poor and even beneath the owners in social rank(and treat them accordingly) and this is very far from the truth in many cases. Investmetnt properties aren't just the cheap grotty properties these days. They can by any property out there.

Comment

Is there a link to play the audio?

The link provided by SOG doesn't seem to lead to a clickable icon...

Comment

You have:
                    Rental Crisis
                    Helen Gatonyi is from the Tenants Protection Association.
                    and
                    Shifting Trends in the Housing Market
                    Research shows more people, particularly the elderly, are renting instead of purchasing properties.
                    In windows it should automatically open Windows Media Player to download and play.
                    Charging enough rent?
                    NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

Originally posted by sarahk View Post
                      Clayton Cosgrove is having quite a time of it... you've heard about the boy racers getting organised? http://nzhondas.com/phpBB2/-vp866420.html
                      I wonder what Cosgrove would say to the landlord of the property next door if he put a group of boy racers in there.
                      Would Cosgrove get special treatment or consideration by the Police, Tenancy Tribunal, or the City Council enviromental services department.
                      Or is the law only going to apply to people he does not like in areas he does not live in.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Is there a link for the Andrew King/Clayton Cosgrove discussion, or is that one unavailable online?

Originally posted by sarahk View Post
                        You have:andIn windows it should automatically open Windows Media Player to download and play.

Comment

Audio Links

Originally posted by spurner View Post
                          Is there a link to play the audio?

The link provided by SOG doesn't seem to lead to a clickable icon...
                          The links that I provided are to Radio NZ's program archives. The links on those pages or the links provided by Sarah will launch Media Player.

The Shifting Trends in the Housing Market item is Andrew King followed by Clayton Cosgrove.
                          The Son of Glenn

Comment

All good now! The title led me to believe it was something else.

Originally posted by Son of G View Post
                            The Shifting Trends in the Housing Market item is Andrew King followed by Clayton Cosgrove.

Comment

O'kay then, guys, how about a summary of what you have heard please?
                              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X