• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Bathroom Renovation Secrets

Hi Guys

A new bathroom anybody then read on :

Bathroom Renovation Secrets
    Leanne Moore
    Giving your bathroom a makeover without spending vast amounts is not as difficult as you might think.

The key to creating a great bathroom is to combine interesting textures and shapes with a simple colour palette.

Bathrooms tend to be quite small spaces so it's important that they are designed well. Keep costs down by planning your new-look bathroom around the existing plumbing - it's easier (and therefore cheaper) to re-plumb into pipework that's already there. For maximum wow factor position the bath or a striking basin as the first thing you see when you walk in.

The most cost-effective way to give your bathroom a fresh new look is to paint the walls. As a general rule, pale colours are best in a smaller space as they don't absorb as much light as dark ones.

When it comes to adding value to your home, crisp white bathrooms with stainless steel fittings are always popular, says Auckland real estate agent Ketiesha Elliott.

"White in a bathroom always looks so fresh and clean. And I don't think there's anything nicer than a big fluffy white towel hanging in a bathroom."

Freedom Furniture
    Heated towel rails are also a winner these days, she says. And if you've got the room, then install a double basin and a two shower roses.

"Touches like this give a bathroom the feeling of luxury."

If you want to create high impact, says award-winning bathroom designer Ingrid Geldof, you can do some wonderful things with colour.

"If you are not brave enough to paint the entire room in a strong colour, then try a feature wall in red, lime, hot pink, blue or olive green," she says.

If even that is too much, then opt for splashes of colour with bold-coloured towels and accessories. That way the colour won't dominate and can easily be changed when you get bored with it.

Freedom Furniture
    If you want to make your bathroom seem bigger, choose a light shade for the floor too. When it comes to flooring, vinyl is the cheapest option.

"You can get some quite funky and contemporary ones these days, and vinyl is cost effective and water proof," says Ingrid.

But if your budget can stretch to tiles, go for it. As well as being smart and stylish, tiles give you the option of creating a wet area - an open shower with or without a door - which is increasingly popular.

Fittings and fixtures can be expensive, says Ingrid, but there are some very cost effective and simple options.

Bathroom by designer Ingrid Geldof - Ingrid Geldof
    "The most important thing is to ensure the fittings are the right proportion for the size of the bathroom. If it's a small room, don't go for a large basin, and if it's a large room don't go for tiny basins and taps."

She advises spending a bit more on a nice basin, then installing a cabinet in the wall.

"You can buy off-the-rack vanities but it's best to buy a wall-hung basin or a pedestal basin, then do something interesting with the cabinet. It only needs to be as deep as a toilet roll, or three bottles of shampoo, to hold most bathroom paraphernalia."

Think ahead when you're planning your bathroom by using the wall cavity.

"You don't need a lot of room to create nooks and crannies where you can store bathroom products," says Ingrid.

"You could have a row of tiny drawers for cotton buds and tissues, or a tiled recess in the shower for shampoo, conditioner and soap, or a footrest to use when you're shaving your legs."

Wall-hung basins and toilets also create the illusion of extra space because the eye can see the floor all the way back to the wall.

And don't forget that mirrors are incredibly useful for bouncing light around the room. When coupled with effective lighting, a large mirror can make a room feel double the size.
    Regards

*Looks around* Hi everybody! I got kicked over here by SarahK from sharechat.co.nz ... Check it out

Other Bathroom secrets include buying top quality gear from the right people!

Check these guys out :twisted: http://www.spabath.co.nz

Hi Spabath

Welcome to the forum. It is obvious that you have an affiliation to the Spabath company and I suggest that you place a post in the commercial section.

Could tell us what would be the most common mistakes people make when renovating their bathrooms?

Also what adds the most value to a bathroom?

Tamara

Hey thanks for the heads up! Just call me a n00b!

Common mistakes:
    Administrative: Running out of money because you failed to take in all the hidden costs! -- and there are plenty trust me!

Building: not sealing up the bathroom well enough, it is essential to go nuts with the silicone to make sure that wet area is sealed up tight

Most value: SPABATHS!
    hehe, well, obviously a bathroom that looks nice, will sell better. However, for most real value (from investment point of view) you want a bathroom that makes best use of space, and is low-maintenance. *blatant plug: Which is why I recommend our spa baths that all come with built in hand shower! /blatant plug* I'd also recommend hard-wired ventilators, cos when you have tenants in, they tend not to turn on ventilators that are separate, which can lead to a lot of moisure acumulating on the inside, which will probably eventually lead to mold, and even timbers rotting.

Hello spabath!

Welcome to Pt!

I was wondering if you could reduce your Avatar (pic) as it is quite large! Maybe try 80 pixels for height and 100 pixels for width? If you can't change it then please send it to me and I will do it for you.

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

If you hard wire the fan into the lights, make sure you have a timer installed too. These keep the fan running after the lights have been turned off. Great for getting the last bit of damp (or noxious vapour) out of the room.

Hi Graeme

Thanks for the tip. I bought four HPM 2 in 1 units last week when Placemakers had them on special.

Will be fitting them in during the first week of the holidays.

Anybody know of an electrician in Napier?

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Yes, those units are good ... Though i found that placemakers and the like do a nice racket out of selling them 'on special' without the ducting kit which is coincidentally never on special!

A wee while back I picked up a unit (with heat lamp, ducting, switch, extractor) from the warehouse for $50! Was in the bargain bin ... made in Aussie, with 5 yr warranty ... that's what I'm putting in.

As for your electrician, check these guys out:
    http://www.freequotes.co.nz/
    I havent used them yet (I'm a bit of a DIY person!), so let us know if you do.

p.s. cheers for re-sizing the avatar ... does look a bit tidier now!

Hi Spabath

Thanks for the comments

Tamara

Thread Information