X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital images impermanent

Digital images impermanent
    Waikato Times | Wednesday, 2 November 2005

Only 13 per cent of digital images captured on modern digital camera technology ends up on paper, according to research by the Certified Digital Photo Processors Association.

By contrast the group of independent photo labs and camera stores says an estimated 98 per cent of film images are printed.

Photo Marketing Association New Zealand director Maryanne Dransfield said consumers needed to be more aware of the importance of printing their digital photos. Digital technology has been available to photographers for around seven years.

"The only guarantee that it will be available in the future is if it is printed now," Ms Dransfield said.

"It's all about print it or lose it."

Viko New Zealand general manager Nik Gregg said images were often stored on computer hard drives.

Sometimes computers crashed and images were lost.

"Users today may find their precious photo memories could be gone forever if they don't act now."

Viko, owned and operated by Fijifilm New Zealand, launched the V-Box kiosk service into more than 100 locations.

The V-Box services produces silver halide digital prints for as little as 40c a print on an overnight service.

Another issue facing digital camera users was substandard home printer paper and ink, which meant images might not stand the test of time.

"There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Lies and statistics.

Originally posted by muppet View Post
    Only 13 per cent of digital images captured on modern digital camera technology ends up on paper, according to research by the Certified Digital Photo Processors Association.
    Maybe because 87% are bad photo's?

By contrast the group of independent photo labs and camera stores says an estimated 98 per cent of film images are printed.
    Maybe because it's easier and cheaper to develope the whole roll rather than select a few and have them developed?

Sometimes computers crashed and images were lost.
    Sometimes houses are burnt down and printed photo's are lost!

"Users today may find their precious photo memories could be gone forever if they don't act now."

Viko, owned and operated by Fijifilm New Zealand, launched the V-Box kiosk service into more than 100 locations.

The V-Box services produces silver halide digital prints for as little as 40c a print on an overnight service.
    Ah, now we get to the crux of the matter. Install fear, build up the potential loss of something treasured, then show the way to salvation (at a cost).

An old, tired, ploy.

Keys

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Keys

How many photos that you have taken with your digital camera have you printed out lately?

Regards
      "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

The joy of a digital camera is that I can take a LOT more photos that I would have otherwise taken with a film camera. Therefore I am likely to print a lower % of them.

OK.. I confess, I rarely print any of them... except for the ones I print out at work and stick on my wall! But I DO back them up!
        Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
          Hi Keys

How many photos that you have taken with your digital camera have you printed out lately?

Regards

Way les than 1%

On the other hand, I look at them more often than the hard copies because they are so much more accessable.

Let me ask you this then: How many times have you had to ditch a large proportion of the photo's you have printed?

Keys

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Hi Keys

Have ditched as many proper photos as digital ones.

But the wife would prefer to have photos all over the floor when showing friends than huddled around a computer screen.

Regards

Comment

Muppet - get her to set them up as a slide show on the widescreen TV!!
              Lisa

Comment

I take digital photos because they are digital - that means I don't ever print them. Never.
                I have instead scanned many of my pre-digital photos, because I never looked at them in those heavy old dusty photo albums. And they were beginning to show signs of discoloration etc, even though they are no more than 10-15 years at the most.

Photos look much better on the screen. They are easier to browse, easier to organise, can be color adjusted, cropped etc - and can be BACKED UP endlessly, thus minimising the risk of loss.
                But backing up is of course something that most people never get around to do, and that seems to be what the Photo Marketing Association is playing their campaign on...
                High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

I recently bought a printer than scans negatives. (That's not why I bought it - but it was an added feature on a copier/scanner. And if I'm honest, I upgraded on what I was initially wanting....)

But it is VERY cool to be able to get those old neg's into digital format again and have the ability to crop without using scissors and enhance them where necessary. I never DID get around to putting all the printed photos into an album.. so this gives me the ability to view them again and again.

Caveat: scanning negatives IS a very tedious process. My plan is to have the printer/scanner sitting beside me next time I'm watching a movie. (I am woman - watch me multi-task )
                  Lisa

Comment

Photo frames.

Digital photo frames are now available. Select your most wanted photos, put them into the digital memory on the frame and ......

Watch.

Keys

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                    X