Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Loans for apartments?

Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of my friend. Perhaps someone can help him

He is looking into buying his first property (a studio in Auckland CBD for roughly $140k to $150k). 35sqm. He only have 5% deposit. Is he able to get 95% home loan on this?

Forgot to mention his annual income is $49k

Not 100% sure but I don't know if he will be able to get a 95% mortgage on an apartment under 50 - 60sqm with a main stream lender. Most only like to lend on larger apartments (>50sqm) or require a larger deposit (up to 50%) on smaller ones.

Others may be able to help more with who may if any.
    Nigel Turner

Comment

Not a Chance anywhere I would say. For an apartment under 40m2 you need at least 30-40%.
      [email protected]

Comment

Is he buying it for himself to live in or as an investor? And Monkeyboy and others more knowledgeable than I on this sort of question would this make a difference on shoebox apartments?

Cheers
        David
        New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

No David, with these shoeboxes the lenders just don't want to deal with them. Even the 2nd tier lenders can't touch them as the insurers won't touch them. So it really doesn't matter if it's for themselves or rental. That said if the person borrowing the money was in an exceptional position they may raise the LVR to 80% max would be my thoughts.
          [email protected]

Comment

He wants to live in it.

So what's the minimum size to get around 95% home loan on apartments?

Comment

I would say from what I know he is in good financial position (debt free, no student loan or other loan) and good job/income for a 22 yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by newbieinvestor View Post
                He wants to live in it.

So what's the minimum size to get around 95% home loan on apartments?
                You need 50m2 and above.

Comment

Friend have found apartment he likes, around 60sqm, 1 carpark, listed price $299k. Any good mortgage broker around could help with 95% mortgage on this deal?

Comment

Working...
                  X