X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto door openers?

Hi,

Just bought first house and going to rent it out the question i have is
    it is a double garage that is separate to the house and i am wondering if it is worthwhile putting automatic doors on at least one door?
    i know if i lived in a house i would want auto doors but do you think im being picky?
    i have doubts as to whether it would add rent but do you think it will attract a better tennant. ( maybe a good family)
    or am i wasting money on this.
    just a thought.

Thanks
    Karl

Depends on the cost of the doors, the area and the type of tenant you are pitching for. Sure everyone will prefer automatic doors (until the engine dies) but I doubt it will make that much difference to the rent. I'm curious to see what others think though.

Cheers
    David
    New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

My pick is that it wont add much to the rentability of the property. Nice to have, but not mandatory.

It might depend on the value of the house though. If the rent is in the higher bracket already, the tenants might be pickier?

Comment

The remote control tends to be the problem. They get lost or develop faults.

John

Comment

None of my tenants use the garage as a garage. Why would they want to automatically open the door?

TD

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dog View Post
            None of my tenants use the garage as a garage. Why would they want to automatically open the door? TD
            Faster access to their "tomato" plants?

G
            Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dog View Post
              None of my tenants use the garage as a garage. Why would they want to automatically open the door?

TD

Same here!....Funny that!

I guess they need somewhere though to store all the crap they buy,... with the money they don't have for a deposit!!???.....huh!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnL View Post
                The remote control tends to be the problem. They get lost or develop faults.

John
                This happened to our electric gate... if you want more remotes they will make you replace the whole RF unit. Cost was around $400 bucks... Now imagine doing that every year with new tenants...
                Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

Cheaper door openers on trade me

You can buy the whole unit quite cheaply on trademe usually under $200 and there seems to be a thriving trade on obsolete door openers often fetching well above the $60 for the latest model new remote. I'm buying a remote for a rental. This rental has internal access garage which I believe makes a door opener necessary.
                  Doug

Comment

Originally posted by srv View Post
                    This happened to our electric gate... if you want more remotes they will make you replace the whole RF unit. Cost was around $400 bucks... Now imagine doing that every year with new tenants...
                    ....And me for one of my garages last week. My property manager authorised a quote for $690, I agreed but subsequently saw them on Mitre 10 for $380 + $100 installation.

Admittedly this is the first time I have had to replace them for a 15 year old property though.

Lessons learned - (1) worth if for a high end property where tenants would expect it and (2) get your property manager to get you two quotes and also do some quick research on google first yourself!

LK

Comment

Working...
                    X