Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An evicted house finds a new home

Is this really novel in North America?

I'm in NZ and we do this alot. Still, makes for a good story and it's good to see people are getting creative in ways to make their property investment (even if it is owner-occupied) work for them.

An evicted house finds a new home
    An unwanted house gets a second life

To the casual observer, Heather MacEachern's future abode — with its sections surgically cut apart and walls sealed off with duct tape and tarp — might seem like a Frankenstein-like mess. But this situation doesn't faze Ms. MacEachern: She's recycling an unwanted house that's in perfectly good condition by moving it — and saving a few bucks in the process.

Ms. MacEachern, a Toronto resident, wanted to live near her mother in Clearview, Ont., about an hour's drive north of the city. "To realistically build a new house [costs] an arm and a leg," she says. "This is our way of being able to be [in Clearview] without having to kill ourselves with mortgage payments."

The road she travelled to find her new home wasn't an easy one. Finding a homeowner willing to hand over a house headed for the landfill in perfectly good condition isn't exactly an easy task. But fate was kind to her: She found exactly what she was looking for … at a garden party.
    Charging enough rent?
    NZ Scams to Avoid
    Add a sleepout to your rental property

New Zealand does it a lot more than other places. Indeed while backpacking around Europe it was a frequent question "So you are from New Zealand, thats the place where they move houses around on the back of trucks, what is that like then?"

Cheers
    David
    New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

I found a family that rescues dogs and finds new homes for them. ... I had to fly back to Berkeley and take the dog out before my daughter got evicted.

Comment

Working...
      X