How to pick the dumb RE agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pick the dumb RE agents

Was wondering if anyone had some top tips for picking out the dumb RE agents within the first meeting?

Originally posted by jane View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had some top tips for picking out the dumb RE agents within the first meeting?
    They would be the ones who ignore the woman completely and talk only to the man.

Comment

Originally posted by jane View Post
      Jane,

What features are characteristic of a "dumb RE agent"?

Is this an agent who either willingly or unwittingly reveals more than they ought to about the vendor's circumstances, allowing you to purchase a "bargain"?

Paul.

Comment

... or is it one who refuses to accept a 15 day 'due diligence' clause and resists presenting low offers until after the weekend?
        DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          They would be the ones who ignore the woman completely and talk only to the man.

Yes this would be a very dumb, rude and disrespectful agent. Have experienced this a number of times, much to the anger of my girlfriend, and am starting to wonder if there are cultural influences at play….
          payji-san dayo, SAN! sonkei shiro!

Comment

Hai so desu ne...

arigato goziemashita...............

Comment

Originally posted by payjisan View Post
              Yes this would be a very dumb, rude and disrespectful agent. Have experienced this a number of times, much to the anger of my girlfriend, and am starting to wonder if there are cultural influences at play….
              Try going to open homes with 2 under 3's in tow, agents assume you're just having a nosy and can't afford. Scares the shit out of them when we bid at auctions though :P

That doesnt necessarily mean they're low on intelligence, but their arrogance and ignorance can be viewed that way, if there were two identical houses at the same price, we'd buy from the agent that was the more decent person.

Also, to the uninitiated, answers like "I couldnt possibly guess" or "dunno, you tell me" to a legitimate question about a property's value can make an agent seem dumb. I know its part of the sales tactics but honestly, what a lame reply from someone who's getting overpaid to sell a property.

Comment

I'd say some of the best agents are dumb in the American sense of the word, namely stupid. But, I need to qualify that too. Stupid in the sense of being uneducated but they are likely to be very street-wise savvy and have good person to person skills.

More obvious signs that make me question an agent's ability include:

1/ Telling you about the vendor's situation in any great depth. BUT, do not forget that clever agents will let you THINK you are being given privelidged information when you are in fact not. Or that disclosed information is with the full consent of the client and is being used as a sales pitch to suck in the gullible buyer. I see this sort of thing happen here a lot and cannot help but smile.

2/ My personal gripe is when an agent does not have the basic data in his or her head. "What's the floor area? Rates?" This indicates sloppiness. Any agent should know that. I like throwing in the odd slightly more difficult question as a test: "What is the zoning on this site?, or How many flats can I put on this site?" and see what answer I get. But that's just me.

xris
                Last edited by xris; 26-06-2007, 09:37 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I'd say any agent working for one of those 1% outfits is pretty dumb.
                  Need a website or anything to do with online marketing? Visit Christchurch Web Design.

Comment

Originally posted by xris View Post
                    2/ My personal gripe is when an agent does not have the basic data in his or her head. "What's the floor area? Rates?" This indicates sloppiness. Any agent should know that. I like throwing in the odd slightly more difficult question as a test: "What is the zoning on this site?, or How many flats can I put on this site?" and see what answer I get. But that's just me.
                    Asking easy question like this or even slightly more taxing ones like 'why are they selling?' tend to get a blank response from anyone but the listing agent, which presents a problem.

We are encouraged to find an agent who will work with us, the investor, but having found one or some who seem to understand what we are trying to achieve, they will come to a property armed with the info sheet from the computer, and if its not on there they have no idea, and seem reluctant to call the listing agent to find out.

Anyone else have this problem?

cube
                    DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                      We are encouraged to find an agent who will work with us, the investor, but having found one or some who seem to understand what we are trying to achieve, they will come to a property armed with the info sheet from the computer, and if its not on there they have no idea, and seem reluctant to call the listing agent to find out.

Anyone else have this problem?
                      Absolutely! The listing agent might know a little more, but the other agents only see the listing sheet and if you're lucky a 30 second walk through of the property. They know just enough to put some kind of positive spin on it when the punters enquire.

That's been good enough in the last few years as there has bene plenty of deman for most properties. Be interesting to see how thisng change when the market finally slows.

Gerrard

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
                        We are encouraged to find an agent who will work with us, the investor
                        Good luck finding any agents who's obvious goal isn't just to work for themselves.

But yeah, I know what you're saying, many of them seem just plain lazy in terms of doing anything other than handing you the marketing blurb. Can you really call that "selling" a property?

Comment

quote=mlkmnz;80077

But yeah, I know what you're saying, many of them seem just plain lazy in terms of doing anything other than handing you the marketing blurb. Can you really call that "selling" a property?

They're not selling it, the vendors are. They're marketing it, part of which is handing out the marketing blurb.

xris

Comment

I dont know whether the agent I was dealing with last weekend was dumb or just plain ignorant, apparently my cash offer was accepted (while not being signed) and vendor was happy (or so I thought ) come monday asked agent if the vendor would sign contract only to be told sorry vendor was indeed NOT happy with my offer, and sorry if I mislead you.

How dumb is that, I know all you naysayers will say well you know you have nothing until it is signed, and yes I know this also, but surely the integrety of this so called sales person leaves a lot to be desired.

Lost all faith in the agent, nevermind plenty of other houses and agents.

FH
                            Last edited by freezinhot; 26-06-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I think you should report that salesperson to the manager Patrick.
                              We Buy Houses | Sell Your House Fast - No Fees, No Stress

Comment

Working...
                              X