Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new double garage...where to start

Hi

We are building a new double garage with two separate garages, so we can use half and rent out half.

We have never built anything before, and wondered where do we start and if anyone has any hints before we begin.
    E.g. when do you tell the neighbours, etc.

Just rung the council to get an idea of permits needed.

Sarah

Have you enquired with Versatile Garages or similar type companies, to compare plans, costs etc.

I think that they also take care of everything for you. i.e. council consents, fees etc.

Probably pay to phone around different places to compare options.

Comment

I concur with Glen, a company like Versatile will handle everything for you, even if you want something different they can accomodate you, i.e. a wall down the middle like you are suggesting. You will find these places are a "one stop shop" and can deal with council etc as this can be time consuming. You also may find they are very cost competitve due to their buying power.
      "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Comment

Neighbours

Hi Sarahd

If you are within the Council rules (ie distances from boundaries, height restrictions, street access) you don't need to contact the neighbours at all.

It is only when you need the neighbours permission (hopefully not!!) that they need to be involved.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Unless you're physically building it, just call the likes of Versatile, you'll not do it cheaper.

Comment

Recently used versatile - cost me around 14k for a double garage with no power connected. It's ok, as I've since increased the rent by $30 per week.

Comment

Originally posted by newbieinvestor View Post
              Recently used versatile - cost me around 14k for a double garage with no power connected. It's ok, as I've since increased the rent by $30 per week.
              That seems expensive,....what area are you in?

I had enquired less than a year ago, with Versatile in Christchurch, and thought that it was less than 10k for a double with sleepout, completed. I tried looking on their site now to get prices but no indication there.

Though travel, concrete, and other region specific costs are no doubt big factors.

Comment

Auckland, they also done the driveway for me (which the concrete truck was not accessible to) - so that adds up the cost (the new driveway was quite long too).

Comment

Working...
                X